Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dance Party US fucking A

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this NIN's first "major" TV appearance?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This is amazing. I love Richard Patrick's awkward "dancing" during the verses...and his haircut!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Mhhh don't remember that...
    Damn,I am really sad that I missed this kind of shows

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Somehow it doesn't contain that bit from Closure? Or did I miss it? (not the Trent talking part but the actual show)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Wow, I'm laughing my ass off watching that. That is just hilarious. All of those kids trying to get down with this NIN stuff. Wow, the 80s was a bad time for hair. Who would've thought more than 20 years from now, the guy with the bad long hair cut and the blonde host would end up becoming even more famous as an Oscar-winning composer and a morning TV talk show host, respectively? BTW, I wonder if Trent did get it on with Kelly Ripa?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Somehow it doesn't contain that bit from Closure? Or did I miss it? (not the Trent talking part but the actual show)
    They had some B-roll footage on the hidden DVD easter egg but not the full "performance". This is the first time I think the "performance" as broadcast has surfaced online.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Kudos for unearthing this gem from the archives of historic films!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thank you very much for sharing this!

It's like a bomb exploded when you posted it (and now you couldn't stop it anymore... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

halo 3

(i'm pretty sure) the vocal of the woman at the end of the clip is heard on track 11 of halo 3, "let's hear it for nine inch nails..."

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvblue View Post
    (i'm pretty sure) the vocal of the woman at the end of the clip is heard on track 11 of halo 3, "let's hear it for nine inch nails..."
    Of course, actually this long version is missing the two final words "Woo, they're good" you can hear on halo 3. This is a old known fact still on the ninfaq.com
    B:4 "What is that last track on the _HLAH_ single?"
    Track 11 on Halo 3 (the woman yelling "Let's hear it for nine inch nails -- woo they're GOOD!") was from a nin appearance on Dance Party USA. Apparently the yelling woman was the show's host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What a great find! I just love how the fandom finds this rare stuff and shares it. Like everyone else here I got a quite a chuckle out of it but at the same time I felt embarrassed for Trent. He'll probably hate us for finding this and letting it see the light of day.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Yeah, the Closure footage is not actually the broadcast footage. I'm sure it's probably from the guy with the camcorder (who asked Trent what they were doing today) filming from off-stage. He probably recorded the entire performance, but they probably only put a small snippet on Closure because of concern about copyrights or because of embarrassment.

That looks like Lee Mars on the turntable/keyboard, so that would put this performance at probably mid to late 1990. In fact, Dance Party USA was filmed in Philadelphia, and NIN were touring in Philly on July 14, 1990, so that is a likely candidate for this performance.
    Last edited by TheBang; 03-28-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

While we're discussing the minutiae...can anyone else identify the shirt Reznor's wearing under that leather jacket?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Is it me, or did Trent look a bit pissed that they were going to be on the show on the Closure easter egg? Dance Party USA just seems to be the opposite of what they were trying to do at the time. Maybe they were pressured to go on there by TVT?

Either way, it's nice to see this performance show up online, but I imagine this is what Trent was talking about when he mentioned "some embarassing videotapes" a couple years ago.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-28-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Bahahahahaha ohh man I love it! Scrunchie!!! Man I wish this came out during their last tour, would have loved to see the pit open up and start dancing, making it Dance Party Fucking USA . Thank you for this. I always wonder what ever happened to that NIN jacket.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

While we're discussing the minutiae...can anyone else identify the shirt Reznor's wearing under that leather jacket?
    I think...

http://www.myspace.com/thegodsquadclevelandpunk

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    that jacket is kinda badass. pretty much the only non-cringeworthy thing i saw.

again, THANK YOU for finding this.

THAT TURNTABLE!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    @trent_reznor: Many years ago, a young and naive Nine Inch Nails were asked what TV shows they'd be interested in appearing on.

- As a joke (and likely drunk), they thought of the most absurd choice they could come up with at the time.

-They were then informed their bluff had been called and were actually booked on said show (thanks again Sioux Z).

-They hopped in their Honda Civic touring vehicle (hatchback) and travelled many miles to (I think) NJ for the big show.

-They had a laugh making fun of the people, their fashion choices and hairstyles. Life was good.

-Years later, the internet is discovered...

-There's a moral in there somewhere.

-Come to think of it, Skrillex may indeed owe me some publishing on that hairdo...
    Last edited by Papagolash; 03-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    LOL @ UMG already blocking the video haha.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    LOL @ UMG already blocking the video haha.
    They only blocked embedding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The fucking best! Thank you.
    Last edited by nimbus; 03-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    That looks like Lee Mars on the turntable/keyboard, so that would put this performance at probably mid to late 1990. In fact, Dance Party USA was filmed in Philadelphia, and NIN were touring in Philly on July 14, 1990, so that is a likely candidate for this performance.
    Based off the calendar at the end of the clip, it looks like it was broadcast on March 20, 1989. (I'm guessing the show was syndicated, meaning there's no "official" broadcast date.) This was probably filmed earlier in the month, or maybe in February. Depends on the lead time, although I'd imagine it didn't take much time or effort to edit this together. :P

In any event, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! A PM is forthcoming.

EDIT: Derp. Might be Nov. '89 instead. Makes more sense, really.
    Last edited by flashback8; 03-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    LOL this is great. It's so cheesey, terrible and gimmicky 90's its crazy.

If I had a few pocket change to send your way i would but I'm a bit tight at the moment.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    My sister IM'd me the youtube link and said "Some kid lip syncing to NIN".
    Me: "LOL no, it's Trent Reznor"

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    This video is so great. On the surface, it looks pretty silly, but I fucking love that they took Nine Inch Nails to Dance Party USA. And I gotta say, even though the audience definitely made some unusual fashion choices, the band's choice of wardrobe is far better than most band getups in the late 80s & early 90s. Maybe this speaks something of my age, but I feel like jeans, tshirts, boots & leather jackets stand up pretty well even now.

Given that early NIN played to backing tapes, someone ought to try syncing this up to an early live bootleg of DII.

*edit* Trying it on for size myself. Also, eliminating the watermark (as best as I can, given the compression)
    *edit edit* Ha, this is awesome. I'll upload it soon.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oh my fucking God. This is absolutely amazing.

TheBang, thank you so much for this.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I really like Trent's comments about the video. Dude takes it all in stride.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Right on!

Kudos for getting your hands on this and passing it on.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Trent's sense of humor on this is all you need to know about how cool of a guy he is. Instead of saying "FUCK YOU, TAKE IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY", he's humorous about it and is aware of how ridiculous it is. Dude just gained even more respect from me.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashback8 View Post
    Based off the calendar at the end of the clip, it looks like it was broadcast on March 20, 1989. (I'm guessing the show was syndicated, meaning there's no "official" broadcast date.) This was probably filmed earlier in the month, or maybe in February. Depends on the lead time, although I'd imagine it didn't take much time or effort to edit this together. :P

In any event, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! A PM is forthcoming.

EDIT: Derp. Might be Nov. '89 instead. Makes more sense, really.
    That's a good point about the calendar. However, any 1989 dates would be too early for Lee Mars (not to mention too early for NIN's popularity). I think Aug. 20, 1990, is the most likely broadcast date for this (taping date was likely a week or two in advance). As Trent mentioned in his tweets, they made a special trip to film it, and it doesn't sound like they were on tour at the time (contrary to my earlier supposition). They finished touring on Aug. 4, 1990, so this would fit that timeline.
    Last edited by TheBang; 03-29-2012 at 12:10 AM.