168 Post(s)
    sounding good! Love the album's title!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    New album sounds great.

99 bottles of beer on the wall...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Buzz Osborne picks songs by "bands that were good, but blew it": http://www.avclub.com/article/melvin...hat-wer-200741

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There doesn't seem to be a Big Business thread, but their newie is fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Fuck yes.
    THE MELVINS’ BUZZ OSBORNE ANNOUNCES ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCES

Los Angeles, Feb. 4, 2014 – Buzz Osborne, songwriter, guitar player and vocalist for the Melvins, performs his first solo, acoustic shows in his thirty plus year career this February and March.

The thirteen dates include an Austin performance at the Record Label Rummage Sale on Mar. 13 as well as a free Scion AV Rock Show on Feb. 25 in Los Angeles.

“I’m looking forward to taking this show on the road!” Osborne added, “Solo acoustic is something I’d never thought I’d be doing. Maybe that’s why this will work!”

In conjunction with the March dates, a commemorative 10” titled This Machine Kills Artists will be released via Amphetamine Reptile Records.

Upcoming performances:

Feb. 25 Los Angeles, CA Scion Rock Show @ The Satellite

March 2 Minneapolis, MN Grumpy’s
    March 6 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room
    March 8 Kansas City, MO The Riot Room
    March 10 Norman, OK Opolis
    March 11 Dallas, TX Club Dada
    March 13 Austin, TX Record Label Rummage Sale
    March 16 Little Rock, AR Stickyz Rock’n’Roll Chicken Shack
    March 17 Memphis, TN Hi-Tone
    March 20 Louisville, KY Zanzabar
    March 21 Indianapolis, IN Radio Radio
    March 22 Chicago, IL Beat Kitchen
    March 23 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon

Tickets for all March dates are on-sale on this Friday, Feb. 7. Tickets for the Scion AV Rock Show are available tomorrow, Feb. 5, viawww.scionav.com/rockshow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    King Buzzo and Big Business in the same month?! Fuck yes, indeed!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Another amazing quote by Buzz. He should write a book. Even though I like Tool and I think they should take their time when it comes to the new album, I cannot help but think of them when I read this bit (from this interview: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interv...f_the_melvins/)

Songfacts: With the [Rolling] Stones, I wonder if their drug use helped fuel that album.

Buzz: I never think that creativity comes from an outside source. I always think it comes from within. In my life and my experience and certainly my experience with other musicians, I've only seen drug abuse and alcohol as a hindrance, not a help. If those guys were good, they were good before they were addicted to drugs.

A lot of it comes down to, and I'm sure you know this, just instinctively, musicians are lazy. They are some of the laziest people in the world. You'll find guys that are multi millionaire musicians who don't work 60 days a year. I don't understand any of that. Seems like millionaires should work harder than anybody else, since they have the time to do it. "Now, I want to do something else." Well, generally, that revolves around video games, getting hammered or chasing tail at some strip joint. Who cares. You want to be an innovator and you want to earn real wealth and respect, it takes more than 40 a week to do that. That's always been the way I look at it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Saw the show and it's the best Buzzo show I have seen in years.
    Buzzo was actually engaging with the crowd as opposed to standing behind a wall of po-faced noise.
    He was telling anecdotes and putting himself out there. It was so refreshing.
    Now I am eager to get Tres Cabrones and the covers album.
    For too long I have been disappointed by Melvins and I want that to change now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Gave Hew Time a listen today. For those that don't know, it's an album by Dale Crover, Coady Willis and Joe Plummer (Modest Mouse drummer). It's an album entirely made up of percussion, no vocals, and I dig it. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone though, but it's nice.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I went to the Bellingham stop of his solo tour. It was SUCH a great show, to hear Melvins songs in an acoustic fashion, they translated super well. Plus Buzz was a lot more talkative than at Melvins shows. He told the following story about the Iggy Pop (this is from memory and won't be as funny as when Buzz told it but I'll do my best): before one of the songs Buzz said "later on do you want to hear a completely pointless and maybe funny story?" and the crowd said "yeeees". About two songs later Buzz asked the crowd "do you want to hear the completely pointless story?" and then Buzz decided to talk a little bit about the Stooges and specifically Iggy Pop, who he said was a hero to him. He mentioned that he likes pretty much everything that Iggy does, not just the Stooges but all his solo work too. He then mentioned how a while back, before the Stooges reformed that Fantomas played at a festival in Europe with Iggy's band at the time, and that Fantomas were on a smaller stage, and after they finished their set everyone rushed over to the bigger stage to see Iggy and his band play. Well at whatever festival this was before Iggy went on the band Weezer was playing, which the audience apparently was appreciating quite a bit, and Buzz said that next to him, on one side of the stage he could see Iggy standing there, looking pissed (he made a face at this point and you could tell it was the not happy face, picture Buzz doing an intense frown). Buzz wanted so badly to say hello to Iggy but refrained from doing so, he didn't want to look like a fanboy. So Weezer finished their set and the roadies set everything up, and a short amount of time later Iggy comes out with his band. They play for maybe 20 minutes, which according to Buzz it sounds real good. During a pause in between songs Iggy says to the crowd "So how did you like Weezer?", to which the crowd cheers (Buzz did a typical hipster festival crowd cheer here). Iggy then says, "You know what I think about them? FUCK THAT SHIT!!!", slams the microphone down then storms off the stage and goes and yells at his road manager for making him play the show. Iggy's band is left there onstage and they don't know what to do, show's over. Buzz then said that the reason that Iggy is a hero to him is that he wouldn't play for an audience that liked Weezer. So that's the Iggy story.

Then before the show was over he said that he discussed with his wife about which stories to tell in this tour, since it was an acoustic tour he considered opening up and telling stories, like some artists do in solo tours like these. Mackie recommended him to tell the story about him getting beat up by two women in Philadelphia, and he said "no, I won't tell that one". Then Mackie asked him "why don't you tell 'em about the time you went to jail?" and Buzz said "no, not that one". Buzz mentioned another story that he was not going to tell but I can't recall what was it about.

This morning I googled "Weezer Iggy Pop and Fantomas" and I think Buzz was talking about the 2001 Hurricane Festival in Germany, that one had the three bands in the lineup.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    He pretty much tells the same story at each stop, too bad because he probably has seen a bunch of crazy stuff. Awesome show though, very interesting to hear the melvins stuff that way.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    "But I like Weezer" (comment of a dude next to me after that story).

Buzzo doesn't accept that you can like Weezer and Miley Cyrus and Melvins and it's all good.

Anyway yeah it's an awesome show. I want that acoustic album. Melvins have been boring for too long (thank you Big Business).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You can't like all those three at once. It's just not cricket.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    New album, Hold It In, is streaming on Pandora!

http://www.pandora.com/station/play/...14780085964511

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Good stuff, well done again melvins!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hell yes, this made my week. Fucking ace!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My friend Nick wrote a review about Hold It In and I think it may be one of the best reviews I've ever read. Check it out!

I can't for the life of me figure out how these guys do it. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the third record they've released in just over a year, and Buzz had a solo record out earlier this year. The work ethic of these dudes is nuts!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw them last night here in San francisco, that was a mean loud show, lots of fun on and off stage too, all in all a great evening.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There's a kickstarter for a melvins documentary. I want this to succeed, so back it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...a-melvins-tale

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Melvins show streaming live right now!

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/melvins

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Melvins show streaming live right now!

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/melvins
    thanks!!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-06-...s-buzz-osborne

interesting list and great insight into what buzz enjoyed doing.

new album basses loaded is pretty good too, their most solid effort since bulls and bees imo, even though it mixes different kinds of melvins flavors the end result works very well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-06-...s-buzz-osborne

interesting list and great insight into what buzz enjoyed doing.

new album basses loaded is pretty good too, their most solid effort since bulls and bees imo, even though it mixes different kinds of melvins flavors the end result works very well.

I've been playing Basses Loaded quite a bit this summer, really enjoying it a lot. Yeah, it's kinda got something for everyone, style-wise. That new video for "Hideous Woman" is pretty cool, too. The riffs in that song are bad ass.

I get to see them in August, so pretty excited for that, also!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I don't like the title at all, it sounds like some juvenile 90s edgy bullshit
    but I'm always interested in what these guys are putting out

THE MELVINS RELEASE PINKUS ABORTION TECHNICIANON APRIL 20 VIA IPECAC RECORDINGS; ANNOUNCE NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
    NEW ALBUM FEATURES BOTH JEFF PINKUS (BUTTHOLE SURFERS) AND STEVEN MCDONALD (REDD KROSS, OFF!) ON BASS

Photo credit: The Melvins
    LOS ANGELES, Feb. 12, 2018 – The Melvins return with the new album Pinkus Abortion Technician (April 20, Ipecac Recordings), featuring both ongoing Melvins’ bass player Steven McDonald (Redd Kross, OFF!) and Butthole Surfers’, and occasional Melvins’, bottom ender Jeff Pinkus on bass.

“With our upcoming release, we double your bass player with Steven McDonald AND Jeff Pinkus holding down the bottom,” explains Dale Crover. It’s an experiment in the low end of the aural spectrum where we asked ourselves, ‘would it work?’ ‘could it work??’ ‘should it work???’ The answers were yes, yes and YES!”

“We’ve never had two bass players. We’ve had two drummers and two guitar players so it makes total sense to now have two bass players, adds Buzz Osborne. “We’ll be taking this two-prong bass attack on the road as well which should prove to be interesting. Pinkus Abortion Technician is a radically great record and was a stone groove to record. We drank a lot of coffee and enjoyed each other’s company. I like Steven and Jeff a great deal. I admire their bass playing and singing and both of them can grill a mean steak.”

Pinkus Abortion Technician album cover
    Pinkus Abortion Technician tracklist:

1. Stop Moving To Florida
    2. Embrace The Rub
    3. Don't Forget To Breathe
    4. Flamboyant Duck
    5. Break Bread
    6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
    7. Prenup Butter
    8. Graveyard

“Stop Moving To Florida” is a medley of the James Gang’s “Stop” and Butthole Surfers’ “Moving To Florida,” the band also covers the Beatles’ “I Want To Hold Your Hand” and Butthole Surfers’ “Graveyard” on the eight-song release. Pre-orders will be announced soon.

The Melvins have also simultaneously announced a 10-week North American tour, kicking off on April 26 at the Casbah in San Diego. The tour will feature the Melvins as a four-piece with both Pinkus and McDonald joining Osborne and Crover.

Tour dates:
    April 26 San Diego, CA Casbah
    April 29 Dallas, TX Tree’s
    April 30 Austin, TX Mohawk
    May 1 Houston, TX White Oak Music Hall
    May 3 Baton Rouge, LA Spanish Moon
    May 4 Birmingham, AL Zydeco
    May 6 Charlottee, NC Visulite Theater
    May 7 Carrboro, NC Cat’s Cradle
    May 9 Baltimore, MD Ottobar
    May 10 Philadelphia, PA Underground Arts
    May 11 Brooklyn, NY Warsaw
    May 12 Hamden, CT Space Ballroom
    May 13 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
    May 14 Montreal, QC Corona Theatre
    May 18 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
    May 19 Pittsburgh, PA Rex Theater
    May 20 Louisville, KY Headliner’s Music Hall
    May 22 Nashville, TN 3rd & Lindsley
    May 23 Memphis, TN Hi-Tone
    May 24 St. Louis, MO The Ready Room
    May 25 Kansas City, MO Record Bar
    May 31 Phoenix, AZ Crescent Ballroom
    July 12 Santa Ana, CA The Observatory
    July 13 Los Angeles, CA Troubadour
    July 14 Fresno, CA Strummer’s
    July 16 San Francisco, CA Great American Music Hall
    July 17 Sacramento, CA Holy Diver
    July 19 Seattle, WA Neumo’s
    July 20 Portland, OR Wonder Ballroom
    July 21 Vancouver, BC Venue Nightclub
    July 24 Edmonton, AB Union Hall
    July 25 Calgary, AB Marquee Room
    July 27 Winnipeg, MB Pyramid Cabaret
    July 28 Fargo, ND The Aquarium (Dempsey’s Upstairs)
    July 29 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue
    July 30 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon
    July 31 Chicago, IL Park West
    August 2 Grand Rapids, MI The Pyramid Scheme
    August 3 Detroit, MI El Club
    August 4 Columbus, OH A&R Music Bar
    August 5 Indianapolis, IN The Vogue Theatre
    August 6 Rock Island, IL Rock Island Brewing Company
    August 7 Des Moines, IA Wooly’s
    August 8 Omaha, NE The Waiting Room
    August 10 Englewood, CO Gothic Theatre
    August 11 Ft. Collins, CO Aggie Theatre
    August 13 Salt Lake City, UT Urban Lounge
    August 14 Las Vegas, NV The Bunkhouse Saloon

Tickets for all shows are on-sale this Friday at 10 am local time.

-30-

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Theres a new covers album out, super limited vinyl, it's all Throbbing Gristle songs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Theres a new covers album out, super limited vinyl, it's all Throbbing Gristle songs.
    Yeah, sold out in seconds. I was unsuccessful unfortunately.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Yeah, sold out in seconds. I was unsuccessful unfortunately.
    Someone on Facebook asked if there was a digital version and the reply was "the cd is digital", so i guess theres that at least.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    pretty sweet co-headline tour with Boris coming up: