Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: American Horror Story

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    I don't mind the musical numbers. They're not terrible but they're not that good either. Either way they don't put a damper on how good this season's been so far. Besides, nothing could ever be as bad as...The Name Game.
    Something to me that makes them irritating is that, so, okay, we're getting extended episodes lately, right? But we're only getting around 50 minutes of actual show, it's just stretched to 80 minutes with a fuckton of commercials. The average episode would be somewhere around 45 minutes, so the "extra" content is around 5 minutes per episode. The songs take up roughly 3, so we're only getting about 2 minutes of actual plot-driving content (and before someone argues that the singing the other night was plot driving by summoning the dude, well, sure, but it didn't need to last the full song in that case, did it?). I'd be more than willing to give up those songs if it meant there weren't 30 minutes of ads interspersed throughout, the commercial breaks are insane (and I watch AMC for fuck's sake, a place where I've seen episodes of TWD get ~2 minutes of show followed by 3 minutes of ads.)

I don't "mind" them, but when you view it as screentime that could be really adding to the story, moving it along, developing the characters better, etc., it starts to feel wasted. It's every single episode so far. If it was once every few, that'd be very different for me as a viewer. Considering almost every single season so far that I can remember has had a rush of the final few episodes to resolve everything, resulting in a narrative clusterfuck because they spent a lot of time not getting there at random points earlier on, I'd love to see the extra time given actually go towards driving this thing forward so that the pacing feels consistent and not shifting from 5 to 50 miles an hour at the tail end.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Love love love Kathy Bates, she makes the character so real, so human, so warm. My favourite so far.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm not into cougars but damn, look at that flashback Jessica Lange.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That was the strongest episode in a while. The stuff with Elsa made me genuinely uncomfortable/bothered, something this show hasn't done in too long for me. Honestly that felt like the end to a good miniseries, hopefully they don't lose steam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Love love love Kathy Bates, she makes the character so real, so human, so warm. My favourite so far.
    I didn't like her accent in the first episode it seemed to flit in and out - and not in a good way, but haven't noticed that problem since, she was really good this last episode.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Spoiler: I'm surprised they killed Twisty so soon, but I guess that sets it up for Dandy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Brilliant episode last night. I loved every character's back story. Holy shit, Jessica Lange's! And more so, holy shit, Twisty! I've never felt so sympathetic for a psychopathic killer. I love this show!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i watched Coven straight through. Good GOD i love this show...using the same actors as wildly different characters while maintaining subtle thematic continuity...this is one of the most creative shows ever made.

I'm going to catch up with you guys on season 4 today!

So what is everyone's favorite season?

I like Asylum best, then Coven, and then the first one.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Murder House (One) even though it's an unpopular opinion.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Murder House (One) even though it's an unpopular opinion.
    What is the popular opinion?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    What is the popular opinion?
    Asylum is the majority.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Asylum is the majority.
    That's my favorite. Wifey agrees with you though.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This show has gone compeltely off the deep end. It is now just completely pointless and without direction. All style and no substance.

Never got as good as murderhouse.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm still liking this season better than Coven. Although, I'm not a huge fan of what the clown's story turned out to be.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/29/ah...how-lily-rabe/

yay! Always love her characters and love how they are making the little connections to Asylum

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I have to agree that they are focusing way to much on the style now.
    The teasers looked amazing but that's all there is.
    No worthy storyline. It's a shame.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I definitely hate that now that Spoiler: Twisty is gone the rest of the season seems really predictable. The last episode was great but felt like an end to a miniseries, yet that have what, 8 more episodes to go? Dandy isn't frightening, scary or intimidating at all to me, he just comes across as a whiney little fuck.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Spoiler: I don't like Dandy either however if they seriously mess his character up in a super demented style to where he unravels and devolves entirely then he'll definitely shine as a villain. Looking back, the Twisty character was nothing more than a springboard character for another to rise to the front. I have faith in the writing.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    i watched Coven straight through. Good GOD i love this show...using the same actors as wildly different characters while maintaining subtle thematic continuity...this is one of the most creative shows ever made.

I'm going to catch up with you guys on season 4 today!

I like Asylum best, then Coven, and then the first one.

For me:

1.) Murder House

2.) Asylum

3.) Coven

It's funny that it runs in order from best to worst in a way for me. No idea where Freak Show will end up, I like it more than Coven, find it better than Asylum in some aspects (it's far more focused), definitely has yet to have anything that could rival Murder House for me. Also, no Zachary Quinto automatically pegs it down from the first two.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    1. Asylum
    2. Freak Show
    3. Coven
    4. Murder House

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    1. Murder House
    2. Freak Show (so far...may change)
    3. Asylum
    4. Coven (just a big mess)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Only took two weeks but that one scene in Edward Mordrake part 1 with Denis O'Hare with the Viking costume wearing male prostitute in the motel room had to have been a True Blood nod. O'Hare's conman character mentioned never doing it with a viking god before. He played Russell Eddington on TB and I assume that was a easter egg reference to Eric Northman in TB. I think I remember him or his lover Talbot saying some bullshit along those lines before on TB.

Thought it was funny looking back on the episode now ha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My aunt was a carny in the late 60's. She and her boyfriend traveled with the carnival every year covering Ohio, Indiana and West Virginia. A freak show traveled with them. She knew some of the freaks and like in show they all ate breakfast together under a big tent. Two of the freaks were married, Gorilla Woman and Monkey Man. I don't remember if there were any pinheads.
    That said, I really do like this show! I'm glad to see Wes Bentley back among the living.

My fave so far:
    Murder House
    Asylum
    Coven- didn't finish it.

Not sure where Freak Show will fit in yet.
    Last edited by Michalrose; 11-26-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This week's episode was pretty terrible. I miss Twisty already...

Might as well rank:
    Asylum
    Murder House
    Freak Show (there's no way this will suck more than Coven)
    Coven

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Possible Season 5 theory.

Usually kind of iffy, but this one seems pretty legit to me. Who knows.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really liked this week's episode, except it was an odd scene to close with.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    What is going on here? This show is a floppy noodle right now. Where is it going? Everything in it is like very poorly motivated. The scenes are ill informed. Why is anything happening? The foundation of every character and subplot is so flimsy that its impossible to be invested.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    What is going on here? This show is a floppy noodle right now. Where is it going? Everything in it is like very poorly motivated. The scenes are ill informed. Why is anything happening? The foundation of every character and subplot is so flimsy that its impossible to be invested.
    You're acting like a Ryan Murphy show makes sense. Side-eyeing you.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Spoiler: Dandy is obviously a character with an identity crisis. He has emotional issues and is probably a budding psychopath due to inbreeding and being a shut-in socially. He's looking for an escape for his feelings, rage and frustration. I wouldn't be surprised if he kills his mother eventually.

Elsa Mars is obviously an untalented, broken joke of a woman looking for stardom and fame in all the wrong places. She's booed because there's nothing outlandish or astonishing about her singing abilities or would-be career. She wants to be successful but can't due to other members in her own show being more talented and unique than her. She can't reveal her legless frame without being embarrassed and keeps hoping on her singing abilities for stardom...which won't get her anywhere. The true enemy to her fame is the Taddler Twins, which she deposed of as she can't deal with their presence. her side of the Freakshow picture is obviously betrayal and suspicion between her and the freaks.

Stanley and Maggie are the scheming assholes in charge of being a suspense of where can they strike to make their gold now? It's predictable but Maggie, having lived with them for awhile now, doesn't have the heart to kill one of the freaks for money and faux fame medically. The struggle between the two characters will escalate, I wouldn't even be surprised if Maggie kills Stanley or vice versa.

I think we're hitting close somewhere, I sense some real depravity to strike soon and last the course of the remaining episodes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    LOL, I can't defend Come As You Are being in this episode...sorry. I dig the show but this is an even more immersion breaking song than Criminal was.