Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    OK y'all, i read a few pages of the first one and decided it wasn't for me, but now im REALLY out of shit to read.
    Should i go for it?
    I don't get into fantasy, but is this one of those genre transcenders...a fantasy book that can be enjoyed by someone who doesn't normally go for that type of shit?
    It could be seen as historical fiction, since the setting is familiar (medieval-ish), while the fantasy elements are quite sparse and hardly dominate the story. There are a lot of characters, plenty of dialogue and generous amounts of feudal scheming. But as to whether you should go for it, I don't know. If you don't find yourself interested in the first chapters, maybe let it go for now and try it again some other time. Definitely don't try to slog through it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's good for memory building. Keeping all the houses and lesser houses and genealogy straight. Better than luminosity.com.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Oh, god his pronunciation of Brienne and valar morghulis is cringeworthy.
    His Welsh Tyrion is a work of comic genius.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    OK y'all, i read a few pages of the first one and decided it wasn't for me, but now im REALLY out of shit to read.
    Should i go for it?
    I don't get into fantasy, but is this one of those genre transcenders...a fantasy book that can be enjoyed by someone who doesn't normally go for that type of shit?
    A lot of it is like the War of the Roses, but with magical elements. Although there are more factions in "A Song of Ice and Fire" than in the actual War of the Roses, it's actually somewhat easier to keep everyone straight because at least most of the players involved are not named some variation of Henry, Richard, or Edward.

The series has its good points and its bad points. One of the best parts that Martin has a pretty good grasp of human psychology and manages to make even the most archetypal characters into three-dimensional human beings with doubts, fears, and realistic motivations. Not every character is that way, but a whole lot of them are. His crafting of the character of Theon Greyjoy, in particular, is amazing.

The bad point is that the series could use some editing. I think part of the problem is that Martin is mostly an author of short stories. He says he knows where it's going and I hope he's right, because at this point I'm not really sure myself.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Almost done with A Feast For Crows. Just finished reading the last Cersei POV. *cackles wildly*

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Onto Storm of Swords (only have seen season 1 of the show and will probly wait till I finish the series b/c the books are so fantastic so far)

So like Im sorry the Lannisters are the best. I thought I would love them as guilty evil pleasure but no Jamie, Cersie Tyrion and Tywin have stolen my heart. Especially Jamie in his point of view. I can't wait for Cersei's. That fucking family.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Finished A Dance With Dragons a week ago and holy shit, epilogue!

I should have combined reading AFFC and ADWD because good lord, the Daenerys and Tyrion chapters draaaaag.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Season 4 is keeping Jorah in Meereen?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I assume we'll get it late this year. Hopefully.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/grr...ges-1750057530

The fact that he references this is amazing.