Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Mr Mercedes is out. I can't wait to torrent the audio boo....i mean run out and buy it

it's billed as a detective novel. i fucking HATED The Colorado Kid...i hope it's not like that.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I am almost done with Mr Mercedes and its so underwhelming. Pretty ordinairy story and if it wasnt for Kings writting style, which is still top notch, I would have put it aside long time ago.

Unfortunately I think that we will never see again the fierce, evil stories he wrote when he was on top of his game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    I am almost done with Mr Mercedes and its so underwhelming. Pretty ordinairy story and if it wasnt for Kings writting style, which is still top notch, I would have put it aside long time ago.
    I'd have to agree with you on 'Mr Mercedes'. I enjoyed 'Doctor Sleep' for the most part, but haven't been completely engrossed in a King novel since '11/22/63'. Before that I can't think of a "stand-out" book since the mid-90's, personally. I did enjoy The Dark Tower additions, though I'm biased on that particular cycle.

Revival is due out in November.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I just finished reading the complete and unabridged version of the Stand, after telling myself I needed to for the past 20 years.

All I hear is that the original, abridged version is the way to go, but I read that one so long ago that I can't remember what all was missing from it as opposed to the unabridged version. I DO know that the storyline with Trashcan Man and The Kid was not in the original, and was my favorite part of the complete edition. I'd have loved to see where the story would have gone if The Kid had been a major character, instead of just a minor one.
    The unabridged version is the only one I've ever read, and I read it twice.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post
    I'd have to agree with you on 'Mr Mercedes'. I enjoyed 'Doctor Sleep' for the most part, but haven't been completely engrossed in a King novel since '11/22/63'. Before that I can't think of a "stand-out" book since the mid-90's, personally. I did enjoy The Dark Tower additions, though I'm biased on that particular cycle.

Revival is due out in November.
    No stand out book? Under the Dome blew my fucking mind. Hell, it's just about my favorite. There are only a couple i wasn't totally in love with...Cell and From a Buick Eight. Oh yeah, and Colorado Kid. Mr. Mercedes was sub-par too...i hope he cools it with the sam spade bullshit.

But a new one in November?
    Hot damn!
    A new King book for me is like a new NIN album. I do NOTHING but read when they come out and they rarely take me more than a couple of days.

I can't wait.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    No stand out book? Under the Dome blew my fucking mind. Hell, it's just about my favorite. There are only a couple i wasn't totally in love with...Cell and From a Buick Eight. Oh yeah, and Colorado Kid. Mr. Mercedes was sub-par too...i hope he cools it with the sam spade bullshit.

But a new one in November?
    Hot damn!
    A new King book for me is like a new NIN album. I do NOTHING but read when they come out and they rarely take me more than a couple of days.

I can't wait.
    I did mention 'Dallas '63' as a stand-out, and I did enjoy 'Under The Dome'. I enjoy pretty much all of his books, just meant that he hasn't written something that will probably be remembered as a classic in a while, save for two books.

Also, you might already know this but there is another book (and possibly 2) that will deal with the Mr. Mercedes story. Evidentally, King has something "epic" planned for this when it's all done.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aywok View Post
    I did mention 'Dallas '63' as a stand-out, and I did enjoy 'Under The Dome'. I enjoy pretty much all of his books, just meant that he hasn't written something that will probably be remembered as a classic in a while, save for two books.

Also, you might already know this but there is another book (and possibly 2) that will deal with the Mr. Mercedes story. Evidentally, King has something "epic" planned for this when it's all done.
    i feel you.
    the hard boiled detective thing...i know it's special to him. at least it's still in his "voice," as someone else said.

So are you saying you think that the Dome and 63 will be remembered as classics? Under the Dome is probably the best book i've read in the past ten years. But then all of my favorite books are stephen king books. The Dome and The Dark Tower 7. my wife and i are still scheming on getting matching dark tower tattoos ("found" written in the high speech.)

I started reading stephen king because it was scary, but that's not what's kept me a constant reader all these years.
    It's that fucking VOICE, that narrative voice.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Here is a pretty good series / analysis of King's (third-person narrative voice) writing style:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...en-king-carrie

Kingisms

In every review, I'm going to look at the tropes and common stylistic touches that appear in King's novels. Carrie's obviously interesting as it was the first, and it throws up a few ideas he would repeat throughout his career. The big one in Carrie is the internal monologue. King has a habit

(habit? habits are formed, this is something innate)

of indenting brackets or dropping the italicised thoughts of his characters into his third-person narratives. (See what I did there?) It's an easy way to bypass "She thought", and actually pretty elegant. In Carrie, it's a stylistic device that's still new to him, and whereas he now uses it sparingly, here, it's everywhere. By the end of the novel, some pages are almost more internal monologue than not.

Carrie is also a relative tone-setter of a novel: the narrative is distinctly King's, covering themes he would revisit again, and to greater effect; and some of the dialogue – particularly in Carrie's conversations with her mother – is delivered in voices he would also return to in later novels (Misery, the Dark Tower series, Dolores Claiborne).
    Last edited by allegro; 10-30-2014 at 12:59 PM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I got done with Doctor Sleep a short time ago and finished Mr Mercedes a few weeks back. Highly enjoyed them both very much.

I'm now reading Just After Sunset while I wait for Revival to come out. Finished "The Gingerbread Girl" this afternoon. Good short story.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i feel you.
    the hard boiled detective thing...i know it's special to him. at least it's still in his "voice," as someone else said.

So are you saying you think that the Dome and 63 will be remembered as classics? Under the Dome is probably the best book i've read in the past ten years. But then all of my favorite books are stephen king books. The Dome and The Dark Tower 7. my wife and i are still scheming on getting matching dark tower tattoos ("found" written in the high speech.)

I started reading stephen king because it was scary, but that's not what's kept me a constant reader all these years.
    It's that fucking VOICE, that narrative voice.
    I do think that 'Under The Dome' will be remembered as a classic within the realm of King fans and recommendations people give on which books to read. 'Dallas '63' will be another of those, I feel, because it's about JFK. That's the only reason, and it's a horrible one, but people seem to LOVE JFK. I think it was a well-written book and can stand on its own, but that point will get overshadowed by the fact that it's "about JFK". It's a herd mentality thing; I want an iPhone because it's an iPhone. I'm sure you get where I'm going with that.

I keep forgetting about 'The Wind Through The Keyhole' for some reason. That was an excellent bridge between DT IV and V.

And yes, his "voice" keeps me a Constant Reader also.

(Edit): Got an e-mail from Cemetary Dance yesterday that the preorder for Revival with Slipcase is now up. $54.95, and the quality is excellent (I own several King Cemetary Dance editions). The quality rivals the slipcases that Grant has for the DT series.
    Last edited by Aywok; 10-30-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Am I the only one here who absolutely hated Under the Dome? I thought the book was way too long, disliked half the characters, and despised how the whole thing was resolved in the end. I'm not here to attack anyone's opinion, but I just didn't think that book was any good. He's had much better luck with his releases post-Under The Dome though. Full Dark, No Stars was a great collection of short stories, 11/22/63 had a much more intriguing concept and characters, Doctor Sleep was a good read, and Mr. Mercedes was decent. I haven't checked out The Wind Through the Keyhole yet. Anyone read it? Does it hold up to the rest of The Dark Tower series?

I'm also looking forward to Revival. I look forward to any Stephen King release, even if the final product ends up being complete trash. I consider myself a fan and at this point I'll pick up anything he releases.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrselfdestruct94 View Post
    Am I the only one here who absolutely hated Under the Dome? I thought the book was way too long, disliked half the characters, and despised how the whole thing was resolved in the end. I'm not here to attack anyone's opinion, but I just didn't think that book was any good. He's had much better luck with his releases post-Under The Dome though. Full Dark, No Stars was a great collection of short stories, 11/22/63 had a much more intriguing concept and characters, Doctor Sleep was a good read, and Mr. Mercedes was decent. I haven't checked out The Wind Through the Keyhole yet. Anyone read it? Does it hold up to the rest of The Dark Tower series?

I'm also looking forward to Revival. I look forward to any Stephen King release, even if the final product ends up being complete trash. I consider myself a fan and at this point I'll pick up anything he releases.
    no, you aren't the only one. someone else talked about hating it at some point here.
    but to each his own.
    see, full dark, no stars is pretty low on my list but l LOVED just after sunset.

Wind Through the Keyhole is fucking awesome and fits PERFECTLy between DT IV and V like @Aywok said, and it also shows that there CAN be more stories in the dark tower world, even with the ka-tet of 19. i hope there ARE more.

what are Cemetary Dance editions?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Cemetary Dance is all about Deluxe editions, with their strong points always being the art. I happen to have this, which is about 400 dollars on E-bay now. They are also "famous" for giving the full novel treatment to short stories. There are several "unreleased" King stories that have only been printed by Cemetary Dance, as well. Basically, it's a speciality store that gives a shit.

Click on that link above and go to the art tab, you'll see what I mean. Of course, it's expensive, but you can count on the price increasing at least 300% once they hit E-Bay.

They're working on "The Doubleday Years" right now, with Carrie forthcoming. The 4th planned release is.... The Stand!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    As you know, Revival by Stephen King will be shipping in just a few weeks, and our friends over at StephenKing.com have announced that PrepareForRevival.com is now online. What is PrepareForRevival.com? Here's how they describe the site:
    As Revival is perhaps Stephen's darkest novel to date, some Constant Readers may wish to take some time to prepare for the experience of reading the story.

Prepare for Revival is intended for Stephen's fans to explore the dark side of the human condition in anticipation of reading the novel. Prepare for Revival invites you to explore and anonymously share your innermost thoughts on the major themes contained within the story.
    Users can safely and securely post their experiences and feelings about Faith, Tragedy, Disillusion, Addiction, Curiosity, Obsession, Death and The Afterlife.

Once users have read the novel, fans can also post their thoughts on Revival, its plot, characters, events and the larger-than-life climax.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Interesting way to promote the new book. Definitely has me even more excited to read it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I don't get it... this website promo campaign was pretty stupid if you ask me

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Finished Revival. I think they overhyped it quite a bit re: the conclusion and it being one of his scariest endings ever. Still, a solid read.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Finished Revival. I think they overhyped it quite a bit re: the conclusion and it being one of his scariest endings ever. Still, a solid read.
    I actually really enjoyed the ending. Scary? No. Unsettling? Absolutely. It definitely sticks with you, at least it did for me. Reminded me of something you'd read out of a Lovecraft story.

As for Revival overall: I think it's one of King's strongest novels to date, especially over the last ten years. The first hundred pages are incredibly strong and I was sucked in completely. Both characters were interesting, and I loved The Terrible Sermon. The middle of the book lags and I found myself growing disinterested, but the last act more than makes up for any dull moments

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    King loves his Lovecraft!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm currently deep into Duma Key.

Will there ever be a Stephen King book where one of the main characters isn't hooked to a retro radio station?
    At least there are less acne-faced teenagers now in his stories.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I am 4 chapters into Revival...actually, my wife and i both are...we are doing audiobooks lately to "read" together.

We are both loving it so far...the religious questions, the "god is electricity" vibe (which is something we have both considered,) and especially the way it is written as a chronicle of memories.
    Really digging the nostalgia of those first pangs of lust and love.
    @allegro , re: your post above from 10-30, i appreciate your intellect and verbosity, as always.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    @allegro , re: your post above from 10-30, i appreciate your intellect and verbosity, as always.
    Oh I didn't write that; that's a quote, dude, heh. ;-)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-19-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've started the extended Dark Tower read (see here for details). It's quite an undertaking.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I've started the extended Dark Tower read (see here for details). It's quite an undertaking.
    Seems a little over the top, doesn't it? Wouldn't it be better to just read the indirectly related novels and then go into the Dark Tower in order (with maybe Wind Through the Keyhole after part IV)? Some of the relevance of these books is pretty minimal... it pretty much comes down to a quick mention in some instances.

And as much as I love Stephen King, Eyes of the Dragon is some really bad fantasy. He was definitely out of his element there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I enjoyed 'The Shining'. Never seen the movie.
    Currently hammering through 'Misery'

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I actually really enjoyed the ending. Scary? No. Unsettling? Absolutely. It definitely sticks with you, at least it did for me. Reminded me of something you'd read out of a Lovecraft story.
    definitely. I listened to it on audio and my jaw literally dropped during the ending.
    and i thought lovecraft too.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    definitely. I listened to it on audio and my jaw literally dropped during the ending.
    and i thought lovecraft too.
    @slave2thewage , yeah, what @Jinsai said.
    BUT...there's damn sure nothing wrong with reading all those books.
    They are all fucking excellent (except from a buick 8, but that's just my opinion.)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Im sure this has been touched on here at some point but as i recently came across a copy of Road Rage i guess i have. It got me thinking about how much i really like the stuff he did under Bachman. After reading the intro he added to the version i have i can see how the slight difference in mindset from which he was writing from affected the style of those stories. I had read a fair bit of King due to my mom being a fan but save for Salems Lot which I'm fond of, in part as its a good Vampire tale, the Bachman Books rank among some of my favorites by him, Rage and The Long Walk being probably me two favorites. Though as I'm currently lacking any readings I'll probably revisit road work here tomorrow.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So Joyland was fucking great. I read it in one sitting...kind of a heartfelt green mile-ish vibe.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Plot and US and UK cover art revealed for Finders Keepers. Also a new short story compilation out in 2015:

>>

Simon & Schuster has released the plot for Finders Keepers, King's next book about Bill Hodges, Holly Gibney, and Jerome Robinson that's released on June 2, 2015.

“Wake up, genius.” So begins King’s instantly riveting story about a vengeful reader. The genius is John Rothstein, a Salinger-like icon who created a famous character, Jimmy Gold, but who hasn’t published a book for decades. Morris Bellamy is livid, not just because Rothstein has stopped providing books, but because the nonconformist Jimmy Gold has sold out for a career in advertising. Morris kills Rothstein and empties his safe of cash, yes, but the real treasure is a trove of notebooks containing at least one more Gold novel.

Morris hides the money and the notebooks, and then he is locked away for another crime. Decades later, a boy named Pete Sauberg finds the treasure, and now it is Pete and his family that Bill Hodges, Holly Gibney, and Jerome Robinson must rescue from the ever-more deranged and vengeful Morris when he’s released from prison after thirty-five years.

Not since Misery has King played with the notion of a reader whose obsession with a writer gets dangerous. Finders Keepers is spectacular, heart-pounding suspense, but it is also King writing about how literature shapes a life—for good, for bad, forever.

>>

Looks like Finders Keepers might have an interesting ending... Here are two comments about it from the moderator on King's board given as an answer to the question if the book is very much like Misery (since that book was mentioned in the description).

No. I can't say too much without giving away more of the plot but you won't feel like it's a rehash of Misery.

What I will say is that I do want to reread this one as there have been edits since the first draft. I still get goosebumps every time I think about the ending so am glad that part hasn't been changed from what Steve told me when I asked.