Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WitchGang - a virtual band supergroup

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)

WitchGang - a virtual band supergroup

If you're in the mood for a new collaboration between Dave Sitek, NIN, Tobacco, and Hudson Mohawke, have I got unexpected news for you.

Mod note: More info available at reputable website: https://www.theninhotline.com/news/permalink/1702876143
    Last edited by TheBang; 12-18-2023 at 11:53 AM. Reason: news article

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    If you're in the mood for a new collaboration between Dave Sitek, NIN, Tobacco, and Hudson Mohawke, have I got unexpected news for you.
    ...please continue talking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh my god what

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    oh it's a trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is this what youre referring to? lol i see you levi in the r/nin thread

the world’s on fire but nothing can stop me now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeaaaaah oookay lmfaoooo it is them, tobacco and sitek credited for this one too. i presume hudson is on nothing's alright - sounds a bit like him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    also trent folllows their ig page so yea

we making a new thread soon?
    Last edited by Wulgaren; 12-18-2023 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Not digging this at all

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Not digging this at all
    Yeah. The IDEA of this is really cool, but the actual music doesn't do anything for me. I saw a few folks likening this to a Gorillaz thing but...Gorillaz has a lot of fantastic material. Hoping this gets amazing or gets abandoned REAL quick.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I don't hate it. In fact it's pretty catchy. How much longer until we find out more about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the prospect of an AI pop group meant to dominate mainstream doesn’t seem as bad when it’s by nin

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    ...an AI pop group...
    That's the part I'm not crazy about...if there is in fact an aspect of AI involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    That's the part I'm not crazy about...if there is in fact an aspect of AI involved.
    i think it’s just the group presentation. music is all real people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    vocalists are L devine and jean dawson (he’s got some dope music, you should check him out, pretty experimental)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    This isn’t alright and that’s okay.

It’s not for me but if others enjoy it, cool.
    Last edited by Swykk; 12-18-2023 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nothing's alright, indeed. Timeless is fun.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I think it's totally fair to say that the traditional ETS user is not the audience here - and that's okay! Lots of positive comments in the YouTube clips of people playing this song on Fortnite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if i ignore the blandness of nothing’s alright, it’s pretty catchy. i guess it’s growing on me. timeless is real good though

all in all i’m very glad we got something with vocals from the boys this year
    Last edited by Wulgaren; 12-18-2023 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I like timeless alot and it makes me want more HTDA.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    On the other hand, I maybe might dig instrumentals if they ever pop up. They kinda have a similar vibe to TMNT score.
    The vocals just isn't for me. I liked Halsey record so much more.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The songs sounds pretty alright. Timeless was interesting. Nothing's alright seemed kinda neat at first, but it didn't really build anywhere, it just kind of repeated. I'm not sure if I'd give it a second shot though.

But I'm confused about one thing......this is a virtual band? Kind of like Gorillaz was an animated band?

I'm not sure I really understand what's happening fully, but I did quite like Timeless as a song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wonder if there's some story telling going on here, like AI becoming sentient or self-aware, just based on the lyric "I sure might be a fake thing." Could be wrong, idk. If the music or presentation becomes interesting, I'll pay more attention

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Pretty boring if I'm being honest. I feel like I hear this sort of thing at work all the time. If this is some grand experiment on their end, it's not off to a good start.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Spent more time with the tracks and I have a couple more thoughts: first, I wonder how much of this was ruined by Apple (and whoever else) just ANNOUNCING the credits, and second, a Sitek, NIN, Tobacco, HM collaboration should sound better than this.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Hm. The music is fine, I guess, not particularly exciting (Timeless is definitely better than Nothing's Alright imo). I'm really not big on the AI imagery, though - and it is AI imagery to at least some degree, because you can see the telltale AI mangling on the shoes in the band "photo." The lyric video gave me that same feeling too, but I'm not sure that generative AI is at a point where it can make an entire video look that convincing, so that part might just be me projecting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Hm. The music is fine, I guess, not particularly exciting (Timeless is definitely better than Nothing's Alright imo). I'm really not big on the AI imagery, though - and it is AI imagery to at least some degree, because you can see the telltale AI mangling on the shoes in the band "photo." The lyric video gave me that same feeling too, but I'm not sure that generative AI is at a point where it can make an entire video look that convincing, so that part might just be me projecting.
    i think the vid might be generated but the lyrics were added by a human cause that’d easily get fucked up by ai

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Spent more time with the tracks and I have a couple more thoughts: first, I wonder how much of this was ruined by Apple (and whoever else) just ANNOUNCING the credits, and second, a Sitek, NIN, Tobacco, HM collaboration should sound better than this.
    how would we ever know if it wasn’t for the credits lol everyone is quiet about it (i presume to highlight the “actual” members of this group aka the AI)

they could’ve added just the band name if that was a problem i think

also this took us a month to find anyways

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I have not heard the songs yet, I've been sick and barely moving, but the very first thing I thought of when I read this post was the reason given for the tapeworm project falling through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Would this be the collaborative project that's been mentioned has been stoking the fire of Trent's creativity?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I might be coping here but I'm smelling a huge trolling or maybe... a ARG.