Thread: Random NIN Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Aside from Hesitation Marks, isn't it also possible that With Teeth also has references to The Downward Spiral? I only ask because of the pictures with teeth in both versions of The Downward Spiral.
    One thing I'm trying to wrap my head around lately is: Thoughout NINs career the narratives for each album changed, while the lyrics pretty much stayed the same (excluding everybody's favorite anti-Bush-lyrics). It seems those things are all about what appears to be the most interesting narrative to Trent at any time. In retrospect I wonder if Trent just made those topics and concepts up, because catering to a certain image made selling an album easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just curious, why has Trent changed his tone to be so much more, I dunno, businesslike since the return from hiatus? He went from giving away his album/having awesome deluxe packages and encouraging fan taping of shows to being super strict about the taping policy and releasing multiple versions of Hesitation Marks, on a major label no less.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    Just curious, why has Trent changed his tone to be so much more, I dunno, businesslike since the return from hiatus? He went from giving away his album/having awesome deluxe packages and encouraging fan taping of shows to being super strict about the taping policy and releasing multiple versions of Hesitation Marks, on a major label no less.

You answered your own question with the last 6 words in your post. Y'know- don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    You answered your own question with the last 6 words in your post. Y'know- don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.
    Except we all should know, after living through YZ-era Trent, that he loves to bite the hand that feeds him.

I can only speculate that the no video policy has to do with a possible video release, but could also be anything from contract signed with PBS for the Austin thing, to not wanting people to see YouTube quality video instead of the real thing, to a myriad of other reasons none of us can really know. I don't think it was something he just gave in to having in the contract with his label. Plus, he only had the open taping policy for the Wave Goodbye tour because he expected it to kinda be the end of NIN touring. Idk, man.

He has been gone for a few years, and can't just give everything away for free. I mean, sure, he could, but should he? No. Don't let 2 free albums (well, 1 free album, and one free volume of an album, but the rest is creative commons so it's legal to download the rest from a torrent site) spoil you, art is not free. And fuck, I think the man deserves to make a few bucks per person.
    As for the multiple "versions", they're all the same album, just different packaging. For people who are super into art, you can buy the album PLUS some art. He did the same thing with Ghosts (that free album you mentioned) except this time it's not $300.
    The major label thing, you mention like it's a bad thing. He signed to use them to market his new album and tour. He's mentioned in interviews that when NIN would tour to european countries, really only the super fans would know about it and come to the shows. They don't own the rights to the music, they just distribute (as far as I can tell) and market.

The things I do to put off writing a 7 page paper... I swear if I could write every paper about NIN I would have aced college...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I guess he realized he likes having income?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    going from having "awesome deluxe packages" to "releasing multiple versions" is a huge change?

trent frequently spoke about the business aspect before the hiatus, actually, much more so than afterwards. he wasn't trying out different payment models because he hated money.