Page 74 of 216 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 6456

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Hey, guys...I'm struggling to find a specific NIN/JA fan-edit.

It was for the NIN set from Toronto '09 and was hosted on YouTube and linked to from here, but I can't find it anywhere. It was even made available in iPod-friendly format for d/l and everything. It was pretty good stuff.

Anyway, a bunch of it was my footage and it came up in conversation recently. Then I discovered it's seems to have gone missing and was hoping someone might be able to help me out here.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Here's the info file for the DVD released:

It was seeded to Dime in June 2010, 4.09 GB. I'm not at liberty to repost it now, but maybe in a few weeks, I can.

Edit: I just looked at it, and not only is it letterboxed, but also the aspect ratio has been terribly misframed at 1.97:1, which makes everyone look squished vertically. It's a damned shame, because the footage and edit itself are not bad, considering the sources and the editor's inexperience.
    Hey, now...I was one of those questionable sources, damnit!

Haha, j/k. It's all good, lol.

Anyway, has it been enough weeks yet?

I'm not trying to re-upload or monetize it or anything, I'd just like to SEE it again.

I feel goofy even asking like this considering I answered an open call, snail-mailed a DVD, and it was already posted for d/l here openly (and apparently torrented) by the guy who put it together...plus, it was like 50% comprised of MY footage as I recall, so I don't really see what the problem could possibly be.

:-\

Any help with either version or both in an easily viewable and/or downloadable format (i.e. I can't do torrents) would be IMMENSELY appreciated, thanks!

:)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    There was (is?) an open call by 33 1/3rd Press for a new set of books, and I gave some thought to throwing my name in the hat - and also passed info along to @botley, who I think is even more qualified, but ultimately I chose not to apply, because I would not be able to commit to that kind of project at the moment. I was having trouble coming up with a narrative, too. Some other time, perhaps. I think I'd probably be best suited writing about The Fragile, or maybe The Downward Spiral.
    I thought about pitching The Fragile, but it was ultimately not in the cards. Still haven't even finished my writing about Pretty Hate Machine (though I did find time to write about 16,000 words on The Rolling Stones). It's tough being anal enough to pay attention to details and yet remain passionate enough to write about one artist for a protracted period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I saw NIN twice on the TDS tour, and, of course, both times he ended the show with hurt.
    Which shows were they? Im a setlist buff and I didnt think he ended with Hurt on any TDS shows.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNCHLINE View Post
    Which shows were they? Im a setlist buff and I didnt think he ended with Hurt on any TDS shows.
    Yeah, I don't think that is right. Hurt was only ever part of the middle film triptysh on the Further Down the Spiral tour, and didn't close any shows. Maybe he's thinking of SICNH, which closed most shows.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Maybe he's referring to Dissonance tour? Although in this case it hardly qualifies as 'closing the show'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't think that is right. Hurt was only ever part of the middle film triptysh on the Further Down the Spiral tour, and didn't close any shows. Maybe he's thinking of SICNH, which closed most shows.
    Thats what i thought. I was just curious, seeing as on the occasional date he changed the setlist up a bit (Such as the LA Show where they opened with Terrible Lie instead of MSD ) so I was wondering whether he ended with Hurt a couple of times. otherwise it`s , as you said, SICNH .

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNCHLINE View Post
    sorry y'all.
    it was 20 years ago and i've eaten a lot of drugs since then.
    I checked and they absolutely ended both of these shows (the two dallas shows, one with jim rose circus and manson, the other with the melvins amd supposedly pop will eat itself, who didn't chow) with something i can never have.

This is so fucking weird because i ABSOLUTELY remember them closing the show with hurt.
    I'n getting old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is probably gonna sound like a wicked stupid question to you guys but whatever, here goes.
    What is the instrument playing during the chorus of My Violent Heart? A heavily distorted guitar? Drum machine?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The squeaky noise is indeed a guitar (probably more than one, and it's definitely a composite performance). There are a lot of elements to that song, but the ones you'll be hearing most in the chorus are the guitar and electronic drums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else notice Trent's been singing the "And you could have it all" line of Hurt differently pretty much since the beginning of the festival run last year? You can hear it in pretty much any video taken over the last year or so (except Fuji, seems like he's singing the original melody there). He lowers the pitch of the melody big time, probably because he can't hit the notes anymore. In the Tension video, especially, you can hear how hard he's trying to squeak out the notes.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Griffin View Post
    Anyone else notice Trent's been singing the "And you could have it all" line of Hurt differently pretty much since the beginning of the festival run last year? You can hear it in pretty much any video taken over the last year or so (except Fuji, seems like he's singing the original melody there). He lowers the pitch of the melody big time, probably because he can't hit the notes anymore. In the Tension video, especially, you can hear how hard he's trying to squeak out the notes.
    Sorry, but you're mistaken. It's all in the same register and key as it's always been.

But, as far as the melody, you're right though, he's not signing the original melody. There are two changes from the original melody:

In the original, both instances of "and you could have it all" are sung the exact same way. The first difference is that in the studio version "could" is a lower note than "you". In the live versions, he always sings "could" on the same note as "you" though. From what I can tell, he's been doing that since Fragility, and the last time he sang that note the studio version way is on the Self-Destruct tour.

The other difference is the one you're pointing out, which is singing the note lower for "it". In the studio recording, both times, he sings "it" on the same note as "all". On the live versions, since 2013, he's been dropping "it" one step lower than "all", but only sometimes. For example, at Fuji Rock, he sang it the same note both times. Outside Lands, same note first time, different notes second time. Lowlands and Made in America, same note both times. Staples Center, different notes both times.

That said, it's all still the same register and key as the original. It just sounds more strained, cause it's more difficult for him to hit that range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Glad that I'm not just hearing things.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RITCNIN View Post
    Random request... Anyone have an audio rip of the Jimmy Kimmel VMOE performance? Can be in mp3, does not matter. Thanks if anyone can help!
    Here's a direct rip from the YouTube video. The 192 Kbps AAC audio from that should be superior to the 192 Kbps AC-3 audio from the cable broadcast (bit for bit, AAC is more efficient than AC-3).

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/dzzgu...kimmelvmoe.m4a

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry, but you're mistaken. It's all in the same register and key as it's always been.

But, as far as the melody, you're right though, he's not signing the original melody. There are two changes from the original melody:

In the original, both instances of "and you could have it all" are sung the exact same way. The first difference is that in the studio version "could" is a lower note than "you". In the live versions, he always sings "could" on the same note as "you" though. From what I can tell, he's been doing that since Fragility, and the last time he sang that note the studio version way is on the Self-Destruct tour.

The other difference is the one you're pointing out, which is singing the note lower for "it". In the studio recording, both times, he sings "it" on the same note as "all". On the live versions, since 2013, he's been dropping "it" one step lower than "all", but only sometimes. For example, at Fuji Rock, he sang it the same note both times. Outside Lands, same note first time, different notes second time. Lowlands and Made in America, same note both times. Staples Center, different notes both times.

That said, it's all still the same register and key as the original. It just sounds more strained, cause it's more difficult for him to hit that range.
    Just to add a bit, he was singing "you" and "could" on the same note during Dissonance when he sang it with Bowie.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Here's a direct rip from the YouTube video. The 192 Kbps AAC audio from that should be superior to the 192 Kbps AC-3 audio from the cable broadcast (bit for bit, AAC is more efficient than AC-3).

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/dzzgu...kimmelvmoe.m4a
    Thanks TB!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just read this interview...

http://www.3news.co.nz/Trent-Reznor-...#ixzz2tiaO4A1o

Does that mean Trent and Atticus were basically a given to record the 20,000 leagues score? Amazing.

(Under 'Yes You're F*****g busy!').

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I swear a while back Josh Freese tweeted a picture of his kid playing in Reznor's studio.... as I'm interested in looking at Reznor's studio gadgetry again, does anyone happen to have a link? I scrolled through Freese's tweets but he's a hella prolific tweeter and I couldn't find it -- or maybe I have the source wrong...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I swear a while back Josh Freese tweeted a picture of his kid playing in Reznor's studio.... as I'm interested in looking at Reznor's studio gadgetry again, does anyone happen to have a link? I scrolled through Freese's tweets but he's a hella prolific tweeter and I couldn't find it -- or maybe I have the source wrong...

You're welcome.

(I found it on his Instagram from November 2012, you probably didn't scroll back far enough.)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Does anyone has been collecting the nin.com header images?
    http://images.modlife.com.s3.amazona...nin_header.jpg
    I would like to have all, but wasn't around my laptop every day. Thanks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Has Trent ever went into depth about what Closer is about? On the Steve Hoffman forum, one of the posters says that it's about rape, but I've never really thought at all about rape while listening to it. To me, the sex in the song sounds like consensual rough sex that's fueled by desperation and self hatred.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I can't see *anything* to suggest it could be about rape

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I would say Big Man With A Gun is about rape (insert argument here), but Closer clearly states consent: you let me [verb] you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I would say Big Man With A Gun is about rape (insert argument here), but Closer clearly states consent: you let me [verb] you.
    well......... in the minds of some rapists, I think they would argue the victim's conduct indicated consent -- they let themselves get so drunk, they wore that outfit, etc. Obviously that's batshit crazy and offensive and WRONG.

but on a larger scale I see absolutely nothing about the song that is about rape. I don't even see rough sex, absent the imagery of the video. It seems like its about attempts to find meaning through sex. But, what do I know.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Well yes, of course there's that perspective, but that's a road which means ALL songs about sex could be about rape, therefore it's one I won't tread.

Closer can be interpreted a few ways, but I'm 99% sure the video has nothing to do with the song, and that it's not about rape.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Well yes, of course there's that perspective, but that's a road which means ALL songs about sex could be about rape, therefore it's one I won't tread.

Closer can be interpreted a few ways, but I'm 99% sure the video has nothing to do with the song, and that it's not about rape.
    well, that's not strictly accurate, as your point was that the text of the lyrics indicated consent ("you let me" do ____), which could be read to support a rapist perspective/narrative, which is not the same as saying "ALL songs about sex could be about rape," but I agree with the spirit of your post

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    At most it's something of a BDSM relationship in which one party is granted all power/control and the other has none (although ironically this actually leads to the "powerless" one having all the true control; by allowing anything they can stop anything and are the ones choosing to be submissive), and it's a consensual agreement. There are clearly some sub/dom themes at play in Closer but to call it rape is a little much, I would be far more willing to agree that it's dealing with one person gaining a sense of sexual control/power over another through an agreed upon relationship.

Also if you follow the album as a concept album and notice that a lot of the first half deals with the protagonist becoming god in his own eyes, after having expressed a view of god that is controlling, sick and exerting power on all beneath him, the lines "You get me closer to God" take on a different meaning; a lot of people hear it as a spiritual line of feeling like you're transcending emotionally through sex, but really if anything within the framework around it it seems way more like he's saying he is literally one step closer to becoming his idea of what god means, controlling someone and having power over them because they let him (Heresy, March of the Pigs, Ruiner all seem to imply that many of the "followers" are willingly allowing themselves to be controlled, with the narrator rejecting that in turn taking control into his own hands).

Also the image of god on the album has a lot of sexual imagery, with "How'd you get so big? How'd you get so strong? How'd it get so hard? How'd it get so long?" being really obviously loaded with phallic imagery which in turn, following right after Closer, emphasises that idea of using sex to have a sense of god-like power; especially through a BDSM style relationship, you become the person both granting pleasure (which God does to his "flock of sheep") and taking it away, causing agony and a desire for more (which the narrator seems to feel God has done to him), with the person it's being done to still seeking pleasure from the person causing pain (and the narrator seems to see himself as a "victim" of God, while also then turning around and claiming the opposite, going from "Maybe that fucked me up much more than you'll ever know" to "You didn't hurt me, nothing can hurt me.")
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 06-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Here's a silly question:

How do you pronounce the "a" in Copy of A? Specifically if you were talking to someone and you made reference to that song.

Copy of "eh" seems more natural when I'm saying it but in the song the context of the pronunciation is Copy of "ah".

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Is Coming View Post
    Here's a silly question:

How do you pronounce the "a" in Copy of A? Specifically if you were talking to someone and you made reference to that song.

Copy of "eh" seems more natural when I'm saying it but in the song the context of the pronunciation is Copy of "ah".

Well the important thing to note is that in the album credits it's Copy of a, not Copy of A. I think the lowercase fits the relaxed "uh" sound as opposed to the long A sound.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Plus, Copy of Ay sounds like A is an object.

And this guy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Did Trent contribute to the lyrics in Mantra or just musically? I find it interesting that he sings "I will find a way" and then releases Find My Way a few months later (I'm aware that FMW was probably finished a long time before this coincidence though).