Page 5 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Wasn't that "Piggy" where the "Funky Drummer" break was sampled in?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Wasn't that "Piggy" where the "Funky Drummer" break was sampled in?
    (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) remix.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Oh, that's right. Good call, guys. So, both Amen and Funky Drummer were used on others' remixes, not on original NIN tracks. WhoSampled needs to check their sources a bit better, I believe.
    Last edited by wizfan; 06-19-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What's going on? Wasn't there supposed to be a bagillion projects coming our way? The Fragile Remaster? Ghosts 5-8? Wave Goodbye gift? Year Zero tv-series? HTDA album? a second kid? a life? oh wait..

I'm bored.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Fragile Remaster is in art stage, Ghosts probably won't be for ages as TRAR have made 58 instrumental tracks in 2 years, Wave Goodbye will probably never happen outside of youtube, YZTV is in pre-prod and the HTDA album is "soon".

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    and Trent was supposed to spend a big part of 2012 writing new NIN didn't he

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Let's not forget the merch refresh

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I've stumbled upon this on youtube and was wondering if anyone here knows where i can get the full version...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Wave Goodbye will probably never happen outside of youtube...
    Was this actually confirmed by someone? Or is this just speculation?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    Was this actually confirmed by someone? Or is this just speculation?
    Speculation based on there's really no point, as we have a hundred brilliant bootlegs of the whole tour, of every single show. Sure, the onstage shots would be nice, but I don't see why Trent would spend money on something that already exists.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    What's going on? Wasn't there supposed to be a bagillion projects coming our way? The Fragile Remaster? Ghosts 5-8? Wave Goodbye gift? Year Zero tv-series? HTDA album? a second kid? a life? oh wait..

I'm bored.
    The last time a NIN project came out really quickly I was disappointed. So hopefully this is a good sign! Although the thing I'd like most of all (a tour) hasn't really been hinted at at all.

Speculation based on there's really no point, as we have a hundred brilliant bootlegs of the whole tour, of every single show. Sure, the onstage shots would be nice, but I don't see why Trent would spend money on something that already exists.
    Yeah, Trent, we don't need you anymore.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Maybe me being there makes my opinion biased, but as much as I love the fan works, I would DRAIN my savings account for an official DVD of the wave goodbye club tour. I would imagine if they scrapped the DVD all together, we would have gotten a huge gift this past x-mas. Trent would not have spent the money and dealt with the headache of getting 5(+?) HD sources of all of those shows (minus TDS take 1 and Vancouver) and then just throw all of that on a shelf to collect dust for an eternity.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Oh, that's right. Good call, guys. So, both Amen and Funky Drummer were used on others' remixes, not on original NIN tracks. WhoSampled needs to check their sources a bit better, I believe.
    I'm pretty sure, Amen was used on TPD. The original version that is.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure, Amen was used on TPD. The original version that is.
    I'd be interested to see timestamps of when you think the Amen Brother beat appears in the original. Because I'm pretty sure you're wrong. It's definitely all over the Meat Beat Manifesto remix though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'd be interested to see timestamps of when you think the Amen Brother beat appears in the original. Because I'm pretty sure you're wrong. It's definitely all over the Meat Beat Manifesto remix though.
    Well, isn't it the section starting at 03:25 in the original version? In a compressed, chopped and distorted form, of course.

I just noticed the Meat Beat Manifesto Remix also samples Trents typical drum-soundbank (used for example in the hook of TPD and is prominently featured in Eraser or Commuique by Prick) from this era. So maybe they used what was in the orignal stems of the song - just like the amen drums (IF they're indeed in the original version...).

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Well, isn't it the section starting at 03:25 in the original version? In a compressed, chopped and distorted form, of course.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, but, then again, it mostly sounds like Trent's own programmed interpretation of the Amen break with his typical soundbank that you mention.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    the discussion was about samples, though — even if you want to call 3:25 of TPD a version of the Amen Break (a loose connection at best), it isn't sampling the original recording (but the MBM remix probably is, just sounds like it was EQ'd and cut to hell). programming the same beat is not sampling. it's just... copying.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    the discussion was about samples, though — even if you want to call 3:25 of TPD a version of the Amen Break (a loose connection at best), it isn't sampling the original recording (but the MBM remix probably is, just sounds like it was EQ'd and cut to hell). programming the same beat is not sampling. it's just... copying.
    Yeah, that was my point anyway.

Now, let's talk guitar geek stuff! I'm going to teach myself many NIN songs on guitar. I've been looking at some great tabs and stuff from Ultimate-Guitar.com and I've noticed that, while Trent mainly uses the Standard E tuning, he has picked other tunings on several occasions: much of With Teeth was in Drop D, while songs like Sunspots and The Good Soldier are in Drop C. Which other tunings has Trent used throughout the years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What was the deal with Trent and Death From Above 1979 again? I forgot what happened for some reason, and was reminded about it out of the blue (after one of their songs showed up on shuffle).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Remember about a year or so ago maybe there was a story about how an early version of Pretty Hate Machine or it may have just been demos which were in possession of i think Martin Atkins. Had been sold to someone....

I remember hearing a brilliant alternative version of Sin or Terrible Lie on here. Didd these ever appear online? I really want to hear them!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Didd these ever appear online? I really want to hear them!
    nope. nothing surfaced online so far, except those Sin and Terrible Lie snippets

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I went onto nin.com to download the With Teeth lyrics poster because of the discussion in the Fragile reissue thread - and the links are out of date and come up with errors! Does anyone have a working link to these please?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Where can I find that video of Robin (during the Fragility tour I believe, but possibly Self Destruction) shaving off all his hair then putting on a wig right before a show?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Where can I find that video of Robin (during the Fragility tour I believe, but possibly Self Destruction) shaving off all his hair then putting on a wig right before a show?
    Closure. In my .avi copy of the Main footage, it's at roughly 25 min 21 seconds in.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Closure. In my .avi copy of the Main footage, it's at roughly 25 min 21 seconds in.
    Couldn't remember if it was in the main closure footage, or the extra shit, or some fragility backstage shit, or what even. Watching AATCHB and didn't want to stop in the middle to search through all that to find it. Thanks for having a better memory than me.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Does anyone have that photo of Brian Viglione and Amanda Palmer by This One Is On Us with Amanda kissing the AVOTT DVD case?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I went onto nin.com to download the With Teeth lyrics poster because of the discussion in the Fragile reissue thread - and the links are out of date and come up with errors! Does anyone have a working link to these please?
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Was Eraser ever played live during the Fragility era? If so, are there any decent recordings of it?

Also, in all y'all's opinion which live version of Eraser is the best one?

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It wasn't played by the Fragility lineup. I loved the 2006 version but they did a great job with the four-piece lineup in 2009 too.