Page 4 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Think we'll ever see a NIN (assuming it continues) traditional single release on vinyl again? I know it wouldn't really make any sense at all to do, but a guy can dream right? I kinda miss them.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I'm not to sure about that. He hasn't released physical forms of singles since he broke loose from Interscope, so I'd say probably not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've just read a quote of Trent explaining how Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus" inspired him to use industrial sounds for his music, but I had never read such quote before and I don't know if it's just some made up bullshit and Trent has never really said that. Does anybody here know if Trent has ever really said that? And when? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Max Leo; 05-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Where did you read it? That would help ascertain its accuracy.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Is it true that Trent played piano on Clint Mansell's score for the 2001 movie "World Traveler"?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Is it true that Trent played piano on Clint Mansell's score for the 2001 movie "World Traveler"?
    Yes, and it was produced at Nothing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Where did you read it? That would help ascertain its accuracy.
    In a website reviewing Falco's album with that song, but it's not in english and I googled "Trent Reznor+Falco's Rock Me Amadeus" and found nothing about it, that's why I thought it was just bullshit, since I had never read about it.

What I read was that Ministry's "Twitch" was very important for him because he found out that electronics could be dirty and noisy or something like that, and I've also read about how he liked Gary Numan and many other artists that used electronics, but I had never read or heard about "Falco's Amadeus" as his inspiration for using industrial sounds, lol, but maybe he said that in some old interview I've never read.

Option 30 covered Falco's "Der Kommissar", that's the only connection I know, but maybe he loved Falco and I didn't know it until now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or is TR saying something very quietly right before the breakdown in The Wretched? I've heard this track a million times and just recently noticed it. It happens at 3:57 in the YT clip here:

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't think that's TR, but rather some radio interference that crept into the multitrack. You can hear it looped in Keith Hillebrandt's remix on Things Falling Apart... not in isolation, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Did the demo tape that Martin Adkins was selling on Ebay a year or so ago, end up in friendly hands?

I think all the posts on it got purged, because i couldnt find anything about it.
    http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1292381339
    is the only mention of it i can still find

Im sure im not the only one who would love to hear these!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Did the demo tape that Martin Adkins was selling on Ebay a year or so ago, end up in friendly hands?

I think all the posts on it got purged, because i couldnt find anything about it.
    http://www.theninhotline.net/news/permalink/1292381339
    is the only mention of it i can still find

Im sure im not the only one who would love to hear these!
    I'm pretty sure Levi tried to get in contact with the winner and find a way to get the tracks out, to no avail. I'm not positive about that, though.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dierythmus View Post
    Is it just me, or is TR saying something very quietly right before the breakdown in The Wretched? I've heard this track a million times and just recently noticed it. It happens at 3:57 in the YT clip here:
    http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?9,1...95#msg-1041595

What am I hearing at 3:57 in "The Wretched?"
    That is radio interference that somehow got into the recording. Trent thought it sounded really cool and decided to keep it. You can hear it more prominently in "The Wretched (version)" on Things Falling Apart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I'm pretty sure Levi tried to get in contact with the winner and find a way to get the tracks out, to no avail. I'm not positive about that, though.

Hopefully they see daylight someday. Does anybody remember the story behind them, like as in how old they are? I seem to remember Adkins saying he got them from TR back in ike 86-87 or something like that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    What equipment does Trent produce with (software and hardware)?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    What equipment does Trent produce with (software and hardware)?
    It seems to vary from year to year, but you can read about some of the production tech here http://www.entertainmentengineering.com/v9.issue04/17

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It seems to vary from year to year, but you can read about some of the production tech here http://www.entertainmentengineering.com/v9.issue04/17
    Thanks for that. That'll do for now. (Question was for a friend.)

It'd be nice to know what he used in the past too... Any articles, people?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Is it nine nails, each one inch long, or a bunch of nails, each nine inches long?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Is it nine nails, each one inch long, or a bunch of nails, each nine inches long?
    Probably the last one.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Fork handles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Probably the last one.
    That's how I've always thought of it. I put emphasis on the first two words, not just the first one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I seem to remember an interview with vrenna or sean beaven or one of those bods where he details how to create a NINish guitar sound in studio, can anyone help me out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dierythmus View Post
    It's radio interference. I think it's saying "Are you really taking the most of life?" There is a part in "The Wretched (Version)" where the guitar or whatever doesn't come over the sample.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ^ Interestingly, however, Trent DOES INDEED sing a bit of unwritten lyrics at that same exact point of the song in the middle of most live performances.

Something to the effect of: "In the back of my mind, there's a place where I, there's a place where I...wwrrrraaaargghhhh!!!"

If anyone's heard a more full or accurate version of what he's saying there, I'd love to know about it. Been trying to piece that one together for YEARS.

And, btw, my original reason for bumping this thread...

Would anyone happen to have a link to that random YT video of some kid clanging around a kitchen which they sampled in a Ghosts track? It was on the old ets for sure but I can't seem to find it anywhere here.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    ^ Interestingly, however, Trent DOES INDEED sing a bit of unwritten lyrics at that same exact point of the song in the middle of most live performances.

Something to the effect of: "In the back of my mind, there's a place where I, there's a place where I...wwrrrraaaargghhhh!!!"

If anyone's heard a more full or accurate version of what he's saying there, I'd love to know about it. Been trying to piece that one together for YEARS.
    I think Trent says "There is a place, in the back of my mind, where I used to try" or "at least I tried".

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Would anyone happen to have a link to that random YT video of some kid clanging around a kitchen which they sampled in a Ghosts track? It was on the old ets for sure but I can't seem to find it anywhere here.

Thanks.

Sampled in 15 Ghosts II.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Thanks, guys! Obviously, I remembered the video a bit wrong but the point was more about sampled child-torture, lol.

;)

And I knew I was fudging the bit from "The Wretched" a bit, but I don't have any idea where my notes on that stuff are and didn't feel like sifting through a hundred YT vidz of the song when it wasn't even related to what I came here looking for! That definitely sounds about right though, nemesiswontdie, much appreciated!

There's usually only a couple bits barely audible on most recordings and sometimes Trent himself often fudges and/or plays around with it himself, repeating certain parts instead of singing the whole thing stuff like that. So it was always a work-in-progress for me trying to figure out the whole thing.

"Okay, here it comes, *squints to hear better*...nope, maybe next time," lol.

Thanks again!

:)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    ...wwrrrraaaargghhhh!!!
    Funny thing is, reading this post, I heard his yell, and I giggled. Out of place, that was the funniest frustrated noise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    can someone point me in the direction of a quality (audio) boot of the wiltern/last show?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorny540 View Post
    can someone point me in the direction of a quality (audio) boot of the wiltern/last show?
    http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com.../20090910.html

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    An infographic on WhoSampled claims that NIN has used both of the most famous samples around, the "Amen Break" by the Winstons and "Funky Drummer" from a James Brown song. Which songs are they in? I believe that drum solo in The Perfect Drug has some of the Amen, since it was influenced by jungle (and I think Meat Beat Manifesto used it in their TPD remix). I can't remember any NIN songs with Funky Drummer