Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Any thoughts on teh new Mac update besides the root scare. I'll probably dl it here at some point but i kinda don't want too if it's not gonna be much of change.
    I can only speak on my own experience but I would not recommend it. I upgraded to HS on my late 2012 iMac and I wish I hadn't. For me this OS is slow and buggy. Sure, my machine is getting up in years but up until High Sierra I had not experienced any OS issues.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I still got Yosemite on my iMac haha. Outdated even farther now it seems.
    i was on LION before i updated to sierra.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Question for a more experienced iTunes user than I am. I got a new laptop and want to be able to sync my phone with it. I downloaded iTunes on the new computer and see that everything I bought from iTunes is on there. How exactly do I get the rest of my music into this iTunes without having to re-rip everything?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Question for a more experienced iTunes user than I am. I got a new laptop and want to be able to sync my phone with it. I downloaded iTunes on the new computer and see that everything I bought from iTunes is on there. How exactly do I get the rest of my music into this iTunes without having to re-rip everything?
    use an external hard drive to transfer it over to the new computer (or a network transfer - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445 ) and put it in the iTunes media folder. then just drag it all into iTunes (if you organize your library chronologically like me, you will want to add them one album at a time, which can be VERY time consuming). you can also use migration assistant to transfer files, but it can get a bit annoying.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    use an external hard drive to transfer it over to the new computer (or a network transfer - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204445 ) and put it in the iTunes media folder. then just drag it all into iTunes (if you organize your library chronologically like me, you will want to add them one album at a time, which can be VERY time consuming). you can also use migration assistant to transfer files, but it can get a bit annoying.
    Yeah, I just point my iTunes media to an external drive and keep bringing that forward when I get a new machine. Saves so much time. And after my last external took a dive off my desk and became nonfunctioning, I've decided that as I encode thing, I'll also back up on to thumb drives and keep those somewhere safe.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    this should help https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201253
    -louie
    Last edited by Louie_Cypher; 12-15-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: speling not just for breakfast

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I’m lazy, I subscribe to iTunes Match.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    You need to get the entire iTunes folder including the library files (e.g., .itdb, .itml, .xml) onto your new computer. So, you can:

1). Copy the entirety of the iTunes folder from your old computer onto an external hard drive, USB stick, etc. Then, you guessed it, copy that from your temporary storage space onto the new computer. Ensure you are signed in to your (old) Apple ID account, and that the new computer is authorized to play purchases.

2). If you don't have somewhere to dump the folder to, you can use Migration Assistant on PC or Mac.

3). iTunes Match ($$$; beaten by allegro).
    Last edited by Jon; 12-15-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: slowpoke

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone! I’ll give the external hard drive method a go

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Yeah, I just point my iTunes media to an external drive and keep bringing that forward when I get a new machine. Saves so much time. And after my last external took a dive off my desk and became nonfunctioning, I've decided that as I encode thing, I'll also back up on to thumb drives and keep those somewhere safe.
    yeah, that's what i do, too. my library is actually located on the external drive so it doesn't take up room on my computer.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    tb passports usb solid state pretty cheap on amazon
    -Louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i am surprised at how many apps in the up store are subscription, new year has me updating my cc. now updating my ipdad keeps saying there are billing problems. some of these i purchased! i find that very deceptive. apps are being deleted. new rule sub in app video i have to watch or attempted micro transaction to continue gone. had it with the nickle and dime bullshit.
    Louie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well.. my wife and I tried android for a year and a half. It was pretty cool but Apple finally called us back. Switched to the 8 plus. Just love this body size. Hated how all the samsungs have the edge feature now. (We had the edge s7) We had the 6 plus before it. Feels good to be back to the iPhone plus body shape. Showbox doesnt work anymore so no need to have the samsung except for backup mp3 player haha.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I've has iPhones since I started getting smart phones, and don't think I'd go to any other brand unless something major happened. Currently have my new baby, 7plus, and I am in love. Whenever I have to do something on my husband's Androids over the years, it's just so slow to respond to touch, it's not as accurate, it feels cheap in my hand, the camera has a hard time focusing and even then everything's a little soft. Not to mention a few times he has had to suddenly replace his phone, and in the meantime used my older iPhones... because even an iPhone 4s lasted longer (my 5s is still in great condition, and will be used as a backup/iPod).
    I don't care about the "name brand", I care that it's a great product that just works so well for me. I don't need something where I can change the font on Facebook. I don't need something that will hold my entire music library on the device.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I've has iPhones since I started getting smart phones, and don't think I'd go to any other brand unless something major happened. Currently have my new baby, 7plus, and I am in love. Whenever I have to do something on my husband's Androids over the years, it's just so slow to respond to touch, it's not as accurate, it feels cheap in my hand, the camera has a hard time focusing and even then everything's a little soft. Not to mention a few times he has had to suddenly replace his phone, and in the meantime used my older iPhones... because even an iPhone 4s lasted longer (my 5s is still in great condition, and will be used as a backup/iPod).
    I don't care about the "name brand", I care that it's a great product that just works so well for me. I don't need something where I can change the font on Facebook. I don't need something that will hold my entire music library on the device.
    I agree that I feel the same way when using an Android device. However, I think my father's Google Pixel 2 is the first non iPhone I've wanted. The call clarity is unbelievable; you don't realize how accustomed we've become to "digitized" voice until you hear someone crystal clear.

I personally do need something that holds my entire music library, since I have Apple Music and also add my own lossless rips. It's been a real adjustment from a 256GB to a 64GB.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so, uh...the apple card, huh? kinda sounds familiar...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Thoughts on Apple Arcade?

Sounds like the games won't be streaming as they're going to be available offline, guaranteed no ads or in-app purchases.

100 new games at launch

Pick up and play from iPhone to iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

I haven't heard anything about a controller but I'm assuming since Mac and Apple TV are involved it won't just be touch based.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Thoughts on Apple Arcade?

Sounds like the games won't be streaming as they're going to be available offline, guaranteed no ads or in-app purchases.

100 new games at launch

Pick up and play from iPhone to iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

I haven't heard anything about a controller but I'm assuming since Mac and Apple TV are involved it won't just be touch based.
    I like the potential of having decent games to play on my phone that aren't trying to gouge every cent from my bank account every 5 seconds. I would rather pay a monthly fee for a subscription like this or a reasonable price upfront rather than be bombarded with ads or "encouraged" to make in app purchases every 5 minutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I’m lazy, I subscribe to iTunes Match.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146
    High five, lazy bro

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So uh new iPhones

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I just wish they'd make a smaller damn phone. iPhone 4-5, 6SE was a good size. We don't need these huge phones, really.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    I just wish they'd make a smaller damn phone. iPhone 4-5, 6SE was a good size. We don't need these huge phones, really.
    the 5/SE was the PERFECT chassis. it fit in pretty much any pocket, it wasn't too heavy, but it was durable, and it felt GREAT in one hand or two. i miss mine so much (i had both at one point, obviously the SE was a better piece of hardware).

it's because so many people watch shows/movies on their phones (which, yeah, old person yells at cloud moment but WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT UNLESS IT'S YOUR ONLY OPTION!?!? UGHHHHH) and it makes everyone enter this headspace where their phone needs to do EVERYTHING and thus needs to be bigger.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the 5/SE was the PERFECT chassis. it fit in pretty much any pocket, it wasn't too heavy, but it was durable, and it felt GREAT in one hand or two. i miss mine so much (i had both at one point, obviously the SE was a better piece of hardware).

it's because so many people watch shows/movies on their phones (which, yeah, old person yells at cloud moment but WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT UNLESS IT'S YOUR ONLY OPTION!?!? UGHHHHH) and it makes everyone enter this headspace where their phone needs to do EVERYTHING and thus needs to be bigger.
    RIIIIIGHT??
    I thought about getting the iPhone SE AFTER I got the iPhone 6s just so I could have a smaller phone, but didn't because the tech was the same. I get it. The phone is no longer a phone, but a glorified personal computer....but I want to use it with one hand, thanks.
    I'll join you yelling at clouds... who the fuck watches shows/ movies on their phone - except on planes. Usually in my case they're transatlantic, so there's no point.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I did love my SE, although when the 5 first came out I couldn't see the point of or because liked the 4 form factor. I didn't like the 6 at all and stuck with the SE for ages but I did upgrade to a 7 in recent months and I do prefer it, the on screen keyboard is a little less cramped for my fingers and reading Web pages is a little more comfortable. It's too small for video so I don't bother with that. The water resistance is really handy. The lack of headphone jack is awful but it did force me to get some really nice Bluetooth headphones which I love

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    So uh new iPhones
    The 11 comes off like a "greatest hits" of other Android phone features from the last year or so. I think I might actually end up switching this time, and by actually switching I mean when I need another phone. That being said, the yellow and green tints are both perfect, and close to what we already utilize in numerous aspects of our home decor.

My phone is used as a gloried iPod 90% of the time. I would prefer to spend far less money, and get something like an LG v30 or Razer Phone 2 for $300-$400, which for sure has a 32-bit SABRE DAC.

Way-later edit: I wish they would remove FLAC from the list of supported file types. It is (still) only playable through the "Files" app, and it's 256 Kbps bluetooth streaming quality at that... No mention of aptX HD.
    Last edited by Jon; 09-14-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: practice makes perfect

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Apple Music is mind blowingly amazingly SHITTY, its awful and infuriating, i cant believe how bad it is only tried it a month ago, apparently it used to be worse!! Jesus, its making me want to throw my phone across the room too. you cant eve compare it to spotify.
    the thing i liked more and more about Spotify is that it started to feel a bit like when i went on Youtube and got suggested videos slightly wired towards my taste, the experience was starting to feel like that
    there is no algorithm for suggesting music on Apple it seems its wildly off base, ive discovered no new music, keep suggesting lame stuff i would never listen to ever. the suggestions are like they are curated by people for are not really music fans. whenever i want to serch for new music its like that feeling when you are bored and staring at a blank google screen and dont know where to go. the connection cuts out all the time it crashes constantly...terrible.
    i got it for month to see what it was like. wanted to try something else for bit, big mistake

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Anyone know if 8bitdo controllers can be used for Apple arcade?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Anyone know if 8bitdo controllers can be used for Apple arcade?
    At the moment, only the SN30 Pro+ can be used on an iPad Pro when hooked up via USB-C; bluetooth functionality does not work. 8bitdo has stated they are working on wireless functionality, which will hopefully extend to the rest of their peripherals.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    At the moment, only the SN30 Pro+ can be used on an iPad Pro when hooked up via USB-C; bluetooth functionality does not work. 8bitdo has stated they are working on wireless functionality, which will hopefully extend to the rest of their peripherals.
    OK, thanks. That's good news. I wonder if that means they're submitting themselves to the MFi programme, or whether Apple are relaxing that. I did hear someone theorize that they could work in xinput mode, where they pretend to be an Xbox controller. But I haven't tested anything.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    OK, thanks. That's good news. I wonder if that means they're submitting themselves to the MFi programme, or whether Apple are relaxing that. I did hear someone theorize that they could work in xinput mode, where they pretend to be an Xbox controller. But I haven't tested anything.
    I would say they're submitting themselves to Apple's MFi program. The iOS 13 update, released on September 19, added Playstation and XBOX controller support. You can go to the 8bitdo reddit and see all the complaints about things not working as they should: automatic unpairings, XInput displaying all buttons as 1,2,3, etc. rather than letters/symbols, trigger buttons not registering/working. I'm not convinced 8bitdo support is "intended" at this point, and it is more of a "oh, so that works".