Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 27" iMac and I wouldn't have it any other way. I absolutely love it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    27" iMac, here, too. Love mine. LOVE.

I'm pretty jealous of G's Mac Pro. It's a beast. But it doesn't sound like you need anything that powerful (and expensive) anymore, though.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks you guys! The iMacs have definitely come a long way since I had my Lime 233mhz iMac back in highschool. Do either of you have the solid state drive? I hear they can make a big difference, but not sure I would want to pay the $450 extra Apple asks for.

Will probably wait until Summer to see if the iMac gets a refresh and go from there. Guess I will keep unplugging the monitor from power after use
    Last edited by Mech; 02-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I finally upgraded my MBP to Lion last Friday and, on the whole, I really like it but there are a few changes that just boggle my mind. For instance: why the hell does closing the lid now put it into single-monitor mode instead of putting it to sleep like it used to? I could understand if, like the change to how scrolling on the trackpad works, it was changeable back to the old way, but from everything I've seen, it's not.

It's just annoying that they've changed something so fundamental without an option to change it back. It's annoying to close the lid without thinking only to have everything push over to my second monitor, then have to reopen the lid, re-detect the monitors and, finally, put it to sleep with ctrl + shift + eject.

Other than that, I love the iCloud integration, the iOS features and all the other little things changed to make it better (like being able to resize a window from ANYWHERE on the border, not just the lower-right corner).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love my MacBook Pro 13" and cannot imagine how I have survived so long without a decent piece of hardware to keep my music all in one place. I've only had it for two months but it's like a new baby: after a while it feels like it's always been there.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    apple tv jailbreak update. Free Cable and Hulu. Nuff said.. awesome

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I still have a 3Gs iphone and never updated my OS after I got it - just never bothered! Today I updated it to OS 5 and it all worked fine. Very thrilled. I needed to do it so I could install Square so I can swipe credit cards on my iphone at my business. It is really cool. I saw that I'll need to upgrade to Lion on my Mac though if I want to use icloud, so that will be next weekend's project. I want this macbook to last a little longer; my next purchase will probably be an air.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Got the iphone 4s yesterday. Where the fuck has this thing been all my life?! I love it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone else noticed that with the iOS 5.1 update they added a 4G status symbol for the 4S? Caving to AT&T's false data monikers are we Apple?

Edit: Pic
    Last edited by The Becoming; 03-09-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Jokes on you for getting an iPhone and AT&T.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 05-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    apple pushes out whatever AT&T advertises. if att is calling it 4g. apple isn't going to argue about it.

att are the tools here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Is there an iPhone camera app that is like Camera+ but has the video camera toggle integrated as well? I like Camera+, but I want a one-stop app like the original Camera offers.

Edit: I just read that Genius Camera has what I seek. Damn my impulsive app shopping thumb.

Edit: Of course Genius Camera has more stupid qualities. If only I could design apps...

Edit: Procamera wins. Video camera. With zoom, even. Practical access to view the pics/videos you just shot, very important. One qualm I can detect is its inability to delete from the Camera Roll view. Kinda strange... Also, due to supposed technical reasons, you have to have Location Services turned on to view the Camera Roll through the app.
    Last edited by Amaro; 05-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I'm breaking down and getting a tablet. Everyone who knows me says I should get a iPad. I'm just not sure I should get one with mobile data or just be happy running around looking for wifi.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Depends on how much money you have or want to spend. I have the wi-fi only version (1st gen) and sometimes I really do wish I had 3G on it.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    When do you wish? When you sitting at a park bench with no free wifi? And I'm pretty much already committed to buying an iPad rather than a Nook or Kindle. But, I just can't get past the added month cost to ATT or VZW.

I'm seriously considering dropping my cable tv to justify adding monthly expense elsewhere. I'm so frugal right now, but I really want to get one.

Also, I saw a comment above about ATT putting 4G on their phones and iPads. That'll end soon in some places.

http://www.mobileburn.com/19572/news...r-of-countries
    Last edited by Dra508; 05-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Do you have a smart phone? I'm too technically un-savvy to really know what I'm talking about, but if you bought just a wifi iPad maybe you could tether the two and use your phones 3G if the need arose...

I bought a 3G iPad2, thought it may come in handy, only ever used wifi...

Wish the iPad could see through ETS' spoilers short of quoting them /small gripe

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Hmmm, interesting. I do have a iPhone, but it doesn't do tethering right?

That's sort of what I'm wondering, if I had service, would I actually use it or just stick with the wifi.

Truth be told, I have a friend who will drive up next to a McDonald's to use their wifi just to play a turn of Words With Friends.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes, the 4S does do tethering, but it's an extra monthly fee. But that fee is smaller than the monthly fee for the 3G (I'm still highly dubious that it's doing 4G) on the new iPad. Your own contract and grandfathered clauses vary.

For instances? At my mom's, where she has no wi-fi. At my office, with no wi-fi. On the train, with no wi-fi. If you're primarily using the iPad as a Kindle, then it probably doesn't matter, but if you need the web for whatever reason at all (email, research, calendar updates), you're screwed without wi-fi. In those cases, I just use my iPhone as a teeny iPad.

I have the Kindle wifi and THAT works out for me just fine; I've never really run into a situation where I HAD TO DOWNLOAD THAT BOOK RIGHT NOW! (and if I did, I'd go to Starbucks or something)
    Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A friend got a little wifi generator thingy when he bought his iPhone, which was unattached to his phone plan. Essentially just like a prepaid USB Internet thing for a laptop I guess... Probably more expensive to use regularly.

Guess it totally depends on how you'll use it, but I'd be more inclined to just go wifi if I was buying again... I haven't even bought the little sim card for mine, and won't, so essentially spent an extra $100 for nothing.

EDIT: looks like google calls this gadget a MiFi, probably a bit easier to market than little-wifi-generator-thing
    Last edited by Minpin; 05-15-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I'm reading your post thinking "it's a mifi"

yes, that's what you get when you get a ipad with Verizon service. ATT's is integrated.

I think I'll just wifi. allegro nailed it with the "use your iphone" which is exactly what I do. Mine is only a 4 BUT - I don't pay for it - company benefit. Bwahhaha - unlimited data.

The next question is buy old used one or suck it up and get a new one with all its bells and whistles?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I'm reading your post thinking "it's a mifi"

yes, that's what you get when you get a ipad with Verizon service. ATT's is integrated.

I think I'll just wifi. allegro nailed it with the "use your iphone" which is exactly what I do. Mine is only a 4 BUT - I don't pay for it - company benefit. Bwahhaha - unlimited data.

The next question is buy old used one or suck it up and get a new one with all its bells and whistles?
    I have a iPad 2 and don't feel any need to upgrade to the new one. Perhaps the one that comes out next year. The improved camera is a non issue for me since I never have taken a photo with my iPad and probably never will. The retina screen would be nice, but I can live fine with what I already have. I use a kindle for reading and the iPad for web and work stuff, Evernote is my favorite app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    ^^ Curious, do you use the Kindle for reading just because you already had it when you got the iPad or some other reason? I don't have a reader and am wondering if I would actually use the iPad that way.

WSJ says that the next iPhone will have a larger screen 4", up from 3.5".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd be disappointed if that's the case, after playing around with other phones (especially the Samsung models), 4" will still make is smaller that the other 'premium' smartphones. After using a 4.5" - 5" phone for little while, the iPhone screen is annoyingly small, and an extra half inch won't fix that.

There was a lot of talk that if they introduced a screen larger than that the screen resolution would need to change and developers would get pissy, and that's a weak excuse.

It would be 'interesting' if Apple do swap out the 30-pin port for a new type of port.
    That change screws all the accessory companies who as of October will have a bunch of stock nobody wants and they'll have to start again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^^ Curious, do you use the Kindle for reading just because you already had it when you got the iPad or some other reason? I don't have a reader and am wondering if I would actually use the iPad that way.

I use my kindle for reading because it is so much easier in my eyes. I find reading for a long period of time on a backlight device to be straining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think only a half inch bigger screen is plenty fine. If you go too big...it's just not going to be as charming ie comfortable to hold up to your head or have in your pocket.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I played with the new iPad today...... I still can't justify the cash for one, especially with my new iPhone 4S. I mean shit I'd be downgrading the camera... still doesn't make much sense.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ Curious, do you use the Kindle for reading just because you already had it when you got the iPad or some other reason? I
    You can't see shit on an iPad outdoors in the sun. The glare is ridiculous. Also, I read in bed at night and the backlit iPad keeps me awake longer (computer lighting fools your body into thinking it's still daytime or something which I've found to be really true, personally). If I'm not reading a physical book, I read Kindle at night before sleep, never iPad.

I have an original iPad and have zero interest in upgrading right now. I don't need facetime or a camera on my iPad and for what I use it for, the processor is fast enough.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-22-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Question:

We recently got some new iMacs at work in our graphics department, but our company runs on a PC Server. We have LOADS of files on the network, which is shared by at least 50-60 other people. I feel anytime we have to access the server, it feels like I am on an ancient piece of hardware. I think I have a resolution which would involve getting an external hard drive or some small server to run between the 5 of us here in graphics, that would only store our customer files. I wonder though, if we do have some sort of file server that would allow only the 5 of us access, do you think that would greatly improve our performance? Also, we would need to still have access to the PC server for email/internet/etc, and is that still possible? Thanks!