Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    you can download, lets say, a movie that is 2 gigs in like 10 minutes.
    Uh... With Google Fiber, you should be able to download a 2GB movie in 16 seconds. 2GB in 10 minutes is 26Mb/s. Which is about 2% of the speeds you should be getting (1,000Mb). You should get ahold of Google and have them rectify this. Even if you're paying for their slow plan, (100Mb, as opposed to 1,000Mb), you're still getting 26% of your speeds. Either one of these is unacceptable.

And if that's the speed you're getting via ethernet, I cannot imagine what you're getting via wifi. Make sure all of your devices have a gigabit wireless radio, otherwise your devices' wireless radio will be the bottleneck of your home network. Here is a 1,200Mb wireless adapter, so that will give you a little bit of overhead even. If you have an older laptop with a slower wifi radio, that will improve your speed greatly. It'll also work just fine with a desktop. Also, I'm not sure if you're using Google Fiber's wireless router, or your own, but if you're using your own, you need to make sure it has wireless speeds at least up to 1,000Mb/s, because most do not.

Also, make sure that both your router and your devices (phones, laptops, PCs, Chromecasts, etc.) are using 802.11ac and 5GHz wifi. Google Fiber will be completely wasted on most people's home networks without changing things like this. If all of your devices are using older radio hardware, then you might as well just find a different ISP.
    Last edited by Harry Seaward; 05-15-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Not a fan of ios10 so far. Bye bye battery life too.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Jumped from an iPhone 6 to the 7 yesterday. The first thing I did was run it under the faucet in my kitchen sink, my wife about had a stroke. I like it so far.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ugh, I got a MacBook Pro three weeks ago and in the space of the last 24 hours, four dead pixels (or possibly dirt that somehow got behind the screen) have appeared. And a random scratch. Not cool.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Jumped from an iPhone 6 to the 7 yesterday. The first thing I did was run it under the faucet in my kitchen sink, my wife about had a stroke. I like it so far.
    I didn't get in on the pre-order so I am counting the days until I can walk into the store and get one; I am SO done with my Galaxy. I didn't think I'd get to that point, but I got to that point about 1.5 years ago. The phone, itself, is fine but the fucking APPS on this thing and the OS drive me fucking apeshit. I fucking HATE the camera, too.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've had them all. I always go back to iPhone. The 7 plus is literally perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I've had them all. I always go back to iPhone. The 7 plus is literally perfect.
    My husband and I are each ordering the 7 plus tomorrow. Then he's ordering the watch. We're keeping our unlimited data plans.

edit: Ditched the unlimited, since AT&T admitted it was throttling the download speeds; saving a decent amount of money per month.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-19-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    i want that new macbook pro

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @slave2thewage Can you take it back for an exchange?

My macbook has been great, but it's already 2 yrs old.

The new one which was announced yesterday I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan on,need to watch the video again but for me to see the strip on the keyboard not sure looks that great. I think it be better just to select on the screen, why would I use my keyboard to press when I have a mouse to select things. Having emotions and things on the keyboard depending on the application for some reason makes it look cheap. I just prefer a solid keyboard layout with no bells and whistles.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Trying to burn a CD with iTunes and it can't allow me to burn just a few select tracks like I used to. Is there a short cut to make that happen?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Trying to burn a CD with iTunes and it can't allow me to burn just a few select tracks like I used to. Is there a short cut to make that happen?
    Make a playlist?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    In case you missed it, unofficial FLAC support was added with iOS 11 through the Files app (iCloud Drive). However, I have the sneaking suspicion that what we're hearing is (lossy) 256 AAC.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Safari is glitch central these days: youtube doesn't work properly, and today twitter is glitching too.
    What gives, Apple? Fix your shit.
    I really really don't want to have to switch to Chrome, ugh.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Safari is glitch central these days: youtube doesn't work properly, and today twitter is glitching too.
    What gives, Apple? Fix your shit.
    I really really don't want to have to switch to Chrome, ugh.
    see, that's funny, because i've been having trouble with youtube on firefox (my preferred browser) so i've been having to use safari to get youtube to work properly. makes me wonder if youtube itself is having issues?

in other news, i'm really enjoying many of the new features of iOS11, especially the customizable control center and the screenshot quick menu.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Has anyone else had their playlists get screwed up when transferred to their ipod/phone? At some point over the past week (couldn't be the update! Heavens!) my ipods (classic and touch) both decided to alphabetize the playlists by album. What the fudge is a playlist for if not to listen to things in the order you put them?

Oh and when I say "playlists" I mean all of them.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    see, that's funny, because i've been having trouble with youtube on firefox (my preferred browser) so i've been having to use safari to get youtube to work properly. makes me wonder if youtube itself is having issues?

in other news, i'm really enjoying many of the new features of iOS11, especially the customizable control center and the screenshot quick menu.
    On Chrome it works, and on Safari it still does not.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Anybody upgrading from an iPhone 7+ to the X? I keep going over the specs and I don't see anything that jumps out that much, but it's at no charge to my monthly plan. Should I do it? Hmmm....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I’m waiting and keeping my 7+
    Last edited by allegro; 11-13-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm still on an SE and i love it. hope i never have to go to something that's a different size because i think it has the perfect chassis.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I’m waiting and keeping my 7.
    Same, I'm still happy with my 7 Plus. No real changes on the 8 apart from wireless charging that I care about so I can't justify it. And I'm still not sold on FaceID for the X. Plus they both have glass backs which is a recipe for disaster imo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I am trying to be careful with my money right now so I will just wait until my iPhone 7 dies they never last longer then two years. The one thing I like about the X is the wireless charging. The glass back is a recipe for disaster.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Anybody upgrading from an iPhone 7+ to the X? I keep going over the specs and I don't see anything that jumps out that much, but it's at no charge to my monthly plan. Should I do it? Hmmm....
    Where are they offering you an upgrade to an iPhone X for free?

I pay $26.70 a month for the 7+ (might be $27.60). I was quoted a price of $42.xx per month for the X.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Where are they offering you an upgrade to an iPhone X for free?

I pay $26.70 a month for the 7+ (might be $27.60). I was quoted a price of $42.xx per month for the X.
    I guess I enrolled in the iPhone forever program with sprint when I got my 7+. I didn't realize this until I looked at the phone prices online. It’s not really free as I'm still paying a monthly device price, but it’s no extra charge to the current monthly device price I currently pay. I just have to turn in my 7+ once I get the new phone.
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 11-09-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Dang, I'm rocking the X right now after upgrading from the 7 Plus and I'm beyond happy with this thing. While the specs don't leave much to drool over (the iPhone 8 is basically the same phone), there's something joyous about using it that I haven't gotten from a phone in quite some time. It's very difficult to explain, but the feeling of using it is miles ahead of any other phone I've had before, whether it's an iPhone or Android. It doesn't become apparent until having used it for a prolonged period of time, but I hope to come up with the words to explain it better as I get more acquainted with it.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    Dang, I'm rocking the X right now after upgrading from the 7 Plus and I'm beyond happy with this thing. While the specs don't leave much to drool over (the iPhone 8 is basically the same phone), there's something joyous about using it that I haven't gotten from a phone in quite some time. It's very difficult to explain, but the feeling of using it is miles ahead of any other phone I've had before, whether it's an iPhone or Android. It doesn't become apparent until having used it for a prolonged period of time, but I hope to come up with the words to explain it better as I get more acquainted with it.
    I "upgraded" today from a (RED) 7+ 256 to an 8+ 64; the monthly price was within 20 cents (obviously I had to pay tax).

I miss the mechanical home button, but at least the 7/8 has the taptic button. I felt clumsy trying to use the X in the store. It's nice to hear your positive feedback.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I "upgraded" today from a (RED) 7+ 256 to an 8+ 64; the monthly price was within 20 cents (obviously I had to pay tax).

I miss the mechanical home button, but at least the 7/8 has the taptic button. I felt clumsy trying to use the X in the store. It's nice to hear your positive feedback.
    I think that was what really turned me off of my iPhone 7. I used an Apple leather case, which made the haptic feedback very difficult to feel when it was lying flat on the table. It's a small thing, but it colored my experience with the device in a more negative way. Just using it felt like something was very off.

The X definitely leads to clumsiness at first, but at this point, I'm so used to it that I'm annoyed that I have to use the home button on my iPad. I'm digging it a lot so far.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Any thoughts on teh new Mac update besides the root scare. I'll probably dl it here at some point but i kinda don't want too if it's not gonna be much of change.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Any thoughts on teh new Mac update besides the root scare. I'll probably dl it here at some point but i kinda don't want too if it's not gonna be much of change.
    i purposefully updated to just Sierra, not High Sierra (just in case, but also) because i finally got a new version of Pro Tools (i had been running M-Powered 8 for about...8 years?) and its compatibility with High Sierra hasn't been fully tested yet. it's weird updating after so long (and skipping so many updates in between).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I still got Yosemite on my iMac haha. Outdated even farther now it seems.