Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Artist

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

The Artist

Well I recently saw this movie, and it was really great! I wonder if anyone else has as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/

It's a silent movie (with very very small instances of sound, not including the music) about a couple of actors in early 1920's, in Hollywood, during the transition from silent to talkie movies. It stayed true to both it's genre, cultural/historical context, and so completely modern at the same time. It was shot in full screen, instead of wide screen which took me a while to even notice. The acting was spectacular (as it should be if you're not going to be using dialogue to tell the story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really liked this movie. Jean and Berenice were both terrific.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Gorgeous film, and I adore that dog!

I'm currently basking in the fact that French cinema is doing so well at the Oscars this year, so much so that I'm willing to overlook that it is being a bit overhyped.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Gah such a beautiful film! I hope it wins everything!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I thought it was terrible. Totally devoid of dynamism or cinematic flair, and unable to maintain a steady flow of wit or originality, I thought it had considerably less to offer than period silent films. Lots of dead screen time, resulting in a very difficult watch. Short of a couple of ingenious sequences toying with sound, I thought it was meritless trash, and have no idea why people rave about it.

Good performances though, admittedly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Gah such a beautiful film! I hope it wins everything!
    Yeah - I just saw this film and thought it was wonderful. I didn't have any expectations for it and came out of the watching experience thinking it was one of the better movies I've seen in a while.

Great acting. Stunning music. Amazing cinematography (and the lighting was gorgeous). For more than a few moments during the film, I had a few film boners as a result of how they framed certain scenes.

I haven't seen a lot of the other Oscar Nominees, but I'm really taken with this film so far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My favorite type of films are the ones which immerse you in its atmosphere. Really take you somewhere else, Blade Runner, Angel Heart, Apocalypse Now etc, with the lighting and music, and this really succeeded.
    I Found the last 20 minutes of this very powerful. With the Gun, the car crash, the Barking Dog and loud classical music. And the final dance off.

The lead actors were both very good looking, love the vanity attached to old cinema, everyone was beautiful. I liked how it paid homage to old days where going to the cinema was a real 'experience.'
    Loved it, did drag a bit in middle but the good material in the film made up for that, on second viewing may find it a masterpiece and also I really want that dog.