Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Hoooooly crap.
    Is it wrong of me to say I'm starting to like this album as a whole more than White Pony?
    Not at all. Like more what you will because besides the S/T, Koi No Yokan is by far my favorite album by them. I guess I'll list my favs again:

Deftones
    Koi No Yokan
    Saturday Night Wrist
    White Pony
    Around The Fur
    Adrenaline

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I like it, but I'm not sure if I'd compare it to the others. Maybe I was too concerned with others opinions of it that perhaps its clouding mine. Its a good album. But I'm not sure if I can agree with most of you on how good it is. I reminds me a lot of the self titled though, but darker.

If I were to rank them, it'd currently go:

White Pony
    Around The Fur
    Diamond Eyes
    Deftones
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Adrenaline

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Absolutely loved it. First Deftones record in years that captivated me on the very first listen. Looking forward to explore it more and more. It's stunning.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wow this fucking album. The more I listen to it, the better it seems to get. At first I thought it was inferior to Diamond Eyes, now it seems to be a tie.

Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    It reminds me a lot of the self titled though, but darker.

It's like their self-titled, but actually good and focused. And not every song sounds almost exactly the same.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 11-11-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The self titled had tons of variety. You have the lighter songs (Hexagram, Minerva), and the heavier ones (...Telephone, Deathblow, Battle Axe). Pretty solid album IMO. Koi is certainly more atmospheric. One thing I loved about Diamond Eyes, was the crazy time signatures. Koi has a few parts though.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    It's like their self-titled, but actually good and focused. And not every song sounds almost exactly the same.
    Wha what?? Deftones was probably and is probably their most diverse and balanced album in their discography. It was the album that gave them that leap to some of the music that they are making now, and it has created "Lucky You".

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think Diamond Eyes, and especially White Pony, showed more variety. The heavier songs on the self-titled sounded alike, as did the lighter ones. But the tracks I go back to on that album happen to be the ones you mentioned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The self titled had tons of variety. You have the lighter songs (Hexagram, Minerva), and the heavier ones (...Telephone, Deathblow, Battle Axe). Pretty solid album IMO. Koi is certainly more atmospheric. One thing I loved about Diamond Eyes, was the crazy time signatures. Koi has a few parts though.
    Hexagram is light and Deathblow is heavy?

What is your definition of light and heavy??

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Hexagram is light and Deathblow is heavy?

What is your definition of light and heavy??
    Songs that are heavy, and songs that aren't.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I thought Hexagram was a heavy track.

I listened to S/T a few times today. It is just so good. As good as the new album is, I think S/T is my favorite still.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This album is just hard to explain for me. It's about everything you know Deftones can be...and yet it is surprising? (Or can be.) It also came out of nowhere, I feel like. The closer is about as fresh sounding as it gets from this one, and I am enjoying that one now. At first it was really sounding out of place and wasn't hitting me right.

I am definitely not in love with the album though. Around half of the songs pale too much next to the rest, that's how impressionable some songs are. Or I simply don't much like the "less impressionable" ones.

I wasn't at all in a Deftones state of mind soon prior to this leak, which could be a factor in my liking and disliking to certain things, and I only ever got into them on a pronounced level with the Diamond Eyes launch...but even that didn't swallow me whole. It was just some cuts here and there that bumped my interest up. It's been a little while.

Saturday Night Wrist is probably my favorite, even though it has a completely ruined track. I don't find any Deftones album "perfect"...

Self-titled album lands second. Diamond Eyes in third. This one is probably right behind.

Edit: I'll hold off on log entry 3 for a good while... Sometimes I feel like I should hold back from vocalizing my initial negative impressions.
    Last edited by Amaro; 11-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Songs that are heavy, and songs that aren't.
    Nope. That's not explaining it.

Hexagram is "heavy". It has a loud sound, more energy, Chino screams more.

Deathblow is lighter. Chino sings, the guitars are less "heavy", the tempo is slower.

What is heavy in Deathblow and what is light in Hexagram?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    S/T for me is the most atmospheric as far as albums go.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Hexagram is heavy but "lighter" than the heavier ones if that makes sense. When I think heavy, I think "when girls telephone boys". The heaviest track off the album.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Heh, I remember when White Pony had been out for a year or so, I went into a record store and saw it there for $1.49. I took it to the cashier and asked "Is this price right?"

*BEEP*

"Scans as $1.49, so I guess so. You want it?"
    "Uhhhhh... YEAH."

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Hexagram is heavy but "lighter" than the heavier ones if that makes sense. When I think heavy, I think "when girls telephone boys". The heaviest track off the album.
    I don't know about that. Hexagram is heavy as FUCK.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    i don't know about that. Hexagram is heavy as fuck.

And The Crowd Goes WIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLDDDDDDDD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hexagram is not a "light" song by any stretch of the imagination, unless you go to sleep to the lulling sounds of Cradle of Filth. And Deathblow is not heavy. Koi No Yokan seems to be just right so far, though. I held off listening until today, and it's every bit as good as the community suggests. Pleasantly surprising.

I've noticed several people ranking their albums in order of favorite and Adrenaline is always at the bottom. what gives? I know the band has grown a lot since then but there are some great tracks on that album. Engine no. 9, Roots, 7 words (the original My Own Summer)?!? I just don't get it.

But that's really the magic of the group. Lots of people like them...for lots of different reasons. Everyone has their own expectations and standards, and Deftones caters to a wide variety of them. Having not heard the new album fully, I won't include it in my list.

White Pony
    Diamond Eyes
    Adrenaline
    Around The Fur
    Saturday Night Wrist
    Self Titled

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    S/T for me is the most atmospheric as far as albums go.
    My bad. I facepalmed accidentally.

Umm...

I'm gonna go listen to S/T.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    My bad. I facepalmed accidentally.

Umm...

I'm gonna go listen to S/T.
    Ha! No worries brotha. I listened to S/T last night, and it just put me into a trance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Deftones

I dream of a setlist that starts with Combat...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Adrenaline is my favorite or 2nd favorite after Around The Fur depending on the day.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Deftones

I just can't get into Adrenaline. Not sure if I'd even call it a "bad album". Around The Fur is where I started. This was right before White Pony was coming out. I remember that weekend after white pony came out, I bought both white pony and Adrenaline. I was blown away by White Pony. Then when I finally got to Adrenaline, it was almost like "wtf is this?".

Its certainly them. Very raw and rough around the edges, and lacking just about EVERYTHING that got me into the band in the first place. It does have a few good songs on it, but it's definitely an album I don't go back to often.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Adrenaline isn't bad but it has a very dated feel and only a few standout tracks. Doesn't mean I don't like it but I seem to listen to it the least, along with the self-titled.

Downloading Koi No Yokan right now. Excited.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I agree: the main problem with "Adrenaline" it's that is dated and it's too "nu-metalish"
    I love a lot of tracks from it like "Bored", Engine No 9" and "Root", but i think the Deftones "perfected" this album with "Around the Fur" and "White Pony", then took their carrer in a different direction with "Deftones"...

On Topic: Koi No Yokan is out, yay!!!

The band is doing a Twitter Q&A today from 4pm to 5pm (CST)

http://www.deftones.com/news/2012/11...qa-november-13
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-13-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rosemary has to be one of the best songs Deftones has ever created. It is just perfect, and that ending makes me want them to make an all instrumental album.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I really like Swerve City an Romantic Dreams. They have some kind of Los Angeles Summer Nights vibe to them. Entombed is also good. I suppose it's my changing musical tastes, but the rest if the album is too abrasive for me.

edit: S/T is also my favorite Deftones album.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 11-15-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Gauze - fucking excellent song. Gotta be close to being my fave off the album (hard to pick, there's a few right up there!).

We've got to stop ranking Deftones albums. White Pony is number one and that's all there is to it.

:P

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    the "Goon Squad" intro has a total ISIS vibe. sounds like an alternate take on "Constructing Towers."

otherwise, i agree strongly with all the comments about the record being sequenced meticulously. everything flows logically. i'm glad to hear a return to this... last time was on Around the Fur (part of why that album is so great!).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Fuck White Pony. Deftones got good for me SNW onwards. For some reason that album will always be so very beautiful and special for me.