Page 123 of 181 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 5427

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    this could be cross posted to things that piss you off, since it both cheers me up AND pisses me off: working on chain maille. 4 mm jump rings are wee cunts. but damn they look great once they have been coaxed/wrestled/cursed/begged into place. ugh. and i have tiny fingers and hands. i figured this shit was a shoo-in for my miniature paws. sigh. lol. i have made a choker with parallel weave (lovely weave), am on a 2+1+2 weave to make a bezel for a pendant. and next (if i make it through the bezel without imploding or exploding) is a byzantine weave (made into a star). so rah for exploring, and bah for tiny jump rings. (and bah for stubbornly refusing to NOT use 4mm jump rings. rofl)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.xkcd.com/1928/

I love happy endings.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    i got Ben from the Whatculture YouTube channel to record birthday wishes for my wife, for a VERY small amount of money.
    It was so fucking cool.
    It's just a trip: that's one of our favorite YouTube channels and he is our favorite narrator and we watch it all the time, so it was pretty fucking surreal.
    He didn't quite understand how cool it was to us, and once he began to see it from our point of view, it made HIM really happy.
    So it was pretty bad ass all around.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    EDIT: never mind. Still trying to figure out how to image host from Imgur. Can’t seem to get it to work on any forum with the usual “[img] tags. iPhone, and mobile.

Bah!
    Last edited by Krazy; 12-14-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    EDIT: never mind. Still trying to figure out how to image host from Imgur. Can’t seem to get it to work on any forum with the usual “[img] tags. iPhone, and mobile.

Bah!
    there's a little icon when you're making a post here that looks like a tree in a box. if you click that, a contextual menu pops up. just paste the URL of the image into there and hit OK!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Feeling the best I've felt in a long time since I had my back surgery.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    there's a little icon when you're making a post here that looks like a tree in a box. if you click that, a contextual menu pops up. just paste the URL of the image into there and hit OK!

EDIT: I have ZERO clue why the Imgur Link just worked. Been doing the same thing for months now and this is the first time it actually worked.

Thanks, but I’ve always done that and get nothing with Imgur, where as Photobucket worked all the time. For example here’s a cute snowman cake:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    After letting some things pile up for a few months (pieces of furniture and a TV that have all been replaced), I finally ended up going onto the local buy/sell/trade group on Facebook to get rid of some of it. I've already made $100 in about 3 hours. It mostly feels great just to have a little more space and less clutter, but a little cash on the side is nice too!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So I did all the music for the Xmas program at the church here and it was awesome.
    Part of what I was supposed to do was play quietly while the preacher talked.
    And I snuck the TDS/Closer melody in there.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @cashpiles is such a troll that he went through and faceplamed ten of my posts in various threads for no reason and i'm just sitting here giggling

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Wellbutrin orgasms.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I miss those. Never was able to convince my insurance to cover the brand which is far more effective than the generic.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @cashpiles is such a troll that he went through and faceplamed ten of my posts in various threads for no reason and i'm just sitting here giggling
    he is continuing to faceplam my posts, and it is just endlessly amusing to me. keep up the good work, dude! if you really think you're going to annoy me into oblivion, you are sorely mistaken.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Finally bought a membership to echoingthesound for the facepalm power...... and I’M LOVIN’ IT! Merry Christmas everyone!

I feel a sense of relief and retribution..... How long I had to “face” facepalms on my posts.... defenseless... unable to retaliate with my own facepalms...

Hear me roar.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-29-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I have never understood why people get so grumpy about being facepalmed, anyway. It's just the counter to a Like. It's not even a downvote but people get so pissy about it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    got a bag of 'nuts on clark' popcorn for christmas. love the stuff, have it every time i go through union station in chicago.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    My relationship with my uncle, aunt and my cousins amd their partners developed tonight... bridges were crossed and bridges were built... the family is strong going into 2018... but I let down my other uncle tonight... and almost every Christmas...I will make up for it in 2018

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    I have never understood why people get so grumpy about being facepalmed, anyway. It's just the counter to a Like.
    It has a long history of meaning more than that, even on this board before it went all Facebook by incorporating a “Like” button (without also incorporating a thumbs-down dislike). The Picard image is historically used to convey visible frustration, it’s an overt and deliberate eye-roll. If one does not like a post, one may simply refrain from utilizing the “Like” button. Choosing to utilize the Picard meme is a statement in itself.

Wikipedia:

“Facepalm's meaning online is the same as the physical gesture's meaning in real life - it expresses frustration, disappointment, embarrassment, shock, surprise or sarcasm. Its online use is to portray emotions and feelings that otherwise may not be easily expressed through text alone. Facepalm is understood online because of its common usage in the real world. The facepalm gesture is a popular Internet meme to show a user's frustration or disappointment in an article, comment, or post from another user. It is often also used to indicate incredulous disbelief that another could make a statement that the reader considers unusually foolish or naive.”

The Facepalm says “that was a really fucking stupid statement.”
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Okay, so it's just that thing. Still don't get why folks get so precious about it!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s rude, number one.

I hate the fucking thing, it and LIKE were not needed or used for over 35 years of forums and suddenly we need to rate statements with cushy idiotic emoticons.

Oh YAY! (Like button, vapid but at least cuts down the much-maligned “me, too” posts)

Oh, you’re a fucking idiot! (Combative, provocative, instigative)

Just bring back the fucking Shit List, which was at least intelligent and required skill.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I like both of them! We're in a new internet age! Contrary opinion!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I could not agree more Allegro.

Facepalming excuses passive agressive behaviour and leads to a lot of built up resentment, as clearly exempliflified by cashpiles ridiculous implosion. He's an outlier, but is still very symptomatic of a larger problem on this board.

Either decide the topic or statement is not worth the time to engage, or do so eloquently, but doing neither and facepalming instead is an annoying mix of laziness and cowardice.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    I could not agree more Allegro.

Facepalming excuses passive agressive behaviour and leads to a lot of built up resentment, as clearly exempliflified by cashpiles ridiculous implosion. He's an outlier, but is still very symptomatic of a larger problem on this board.

Either decide the topic or statement is not worth the time to engage, or do so eloquently, but doing neither and facepalming instead is an annoying mix of laziness and cowardice.
    Yup, I wholeheartedly concur. Thank you, I think you summed it up very well.

I could have clicked “like” but that’s lazy, too, requiring minimal effort and the intellect of a toddler; this direct response required time, effort, and expansion of the concurrence, deliberately highlighting (in bold) what I feel is of particular importance. Hence, using actual communication. Communication is a deliberate thing, not passive. Its intent is shared; if not, it risks miscommunication.

Don’t give me this Modern Day bullshit; emoticons have existed since the fucking 80s, except mostly on AOL (aka the Short Bus on the Information Superhighway).

I turned off the Like/Facepalm notifications, I don’t even wanna know about that shit. Somebody posted some stats, here, about the number of likes per user vs. number of facepalms. I ain’t here since January of 2004 for popularity and ego stroking.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Well, when you like my posts it cheers me up, bb <3 (bb means baby but I like that here it is also a pun for bulletin board)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    B.B. has meant bulletin board since 1979.

I can say it also means butt bite. But will all of you interpret it that way?

Here's an interesting article:

Recently, as I was talking with a colleague about the phenomena of online passive aggression, he casually remarked, “Truthfully, passive aggressive behavior is just plain fun. Getting back at other people in socially acceptable ways is so easy to do these days now that so much of what we say and do happens through a keyboard instead of person to person.”

“What an honest comment,” I thought, “about such a dishonest way of communicating.” Indeed, taking jabs at others while eluding direct confrontation is the immediate gratification afforded by today’s technology and the modus operandi of the passive aggressive.

Meanwhile, this is all passive aggressive drift in this CHEERS ME UP thread.

Cheers me up: the fantasy of taking a blow torch to most of online, until everyone is required to use VI as an editor, again.

No, seriously, what really cheers me up: Following cat and kitten rescuers on Instagram (@bethostern, @kittenxlady, @bocaratona, etc.) Gives me a purpose in life, rescuing kitties, donating to rescue organizations, etc.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-30-2017 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Got some facepalms, always feels bad, deserved probably though I think sometimes it's because we're from very different cultures... but I'm trying to behave better. :-)

Anyway, as for what cheers me up, I was thinking about the top posts here on ETS this year.
    1. The most funny - Twin Peaks, there's a surprising moment and Lynch's character doesn't look surprised at all. Someone responds "Well he wrote that." :-D
    2. The most interesting - long detailed analysis of NTAE, with parts like "What you doing?" "Imagining all my family dead in great detail."
    3. The most amazing - graphic description of NIN gig ending with full The Background World and total darkness, wow.
    Sorry I would spend day searching for the exact posts and sorry for not remembering the authors, but thank you, people. :-)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @allegro , I also like it when you "like" my posts.
    I even like it when you tell me I'm wrong about something, because you actually present an intelligent argument.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I see the benefits of the Like button (positive reinforcement), but I don’t think the opposite is the Facepalm button; that’s way too loaded to be simple negative reinforcement.

Sometimes a community needs to let other members of the community know that what they say is hurtful to other members of the community, or some just need to make it public to the community that they disagree. A thumbs-down emoji would do this just fine, without passing judgment or shaming or inviting anger or hurt feelings. The Facepalm is universally grok’d as “you’re a moron.” That’s not a “dislike.”

This is what ETS members used to think was loads of fun: http://web.archive.org/web/200702170...f44b38257f4b9b

I think we need a “sad” and an “angry” and a “laugh” emoji (and if we removed the Facepalm, I think that’d be awesome).

But this is the wrong thread for that discussion.
    Last edited by allegro; 12-31-2017 at 02:04 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    oh god ... i remember that. everyone was just so fucking mean.