Page 8 of 182 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^It's more fun than one of their concerts!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    1) Summer:

Regal 35 Sport Coupe.

We visited one, EXTENSIVELY, at the Chicago Boat Show a few weeks ago. OMG, total BONER boat.

This WILL be our boat, yeaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

But, not until G retires. In 6 years. Maybe later, we'll see. We can write it off as a 2nd home. We dunno, there are pluses and minuses but half the fun is talking about it and looking at them.

Until then, we're doing a smaller Cobalt on Lake Geneva. Good way to look toward summer .

btw: We've TESTED that joystick steering on the water, jesus h christ, coolest thing EVAR. And something called "Sky Hook" wherein the GPS kicks in and takes over control of the dual stern drives and holds the boat in place via GPS. wtf. on windy Lake Michigan = AWESOME.

2) Winter:

TAHOE SKI TRIP STARTS ON MARCH 4TH. Our friend A is bringing his sorta new g/f, whom we REALLY like, we're all staying at the same hotel, taking the same flight, taking the Tahoe-Reno shuttle together, and they're gonna be at our wedding on skis. Getting everything reserved and ready, snow season SUCKS again this year but we're praying for a miracle. And, we REALLY want to do SQUAW.

Considering that my DAD DIED on December 28th (my mom and I had to make decision to take him off life support, per his DNR, he was admitted via EMS on Christmas night), this is all something we're trying to look forward to. He loved skiing.

Trying to find as many things as possible to "cheer us up" so sadness won't take over completely, ya know?
    Last edited by allegro; 02-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm in Los Angeles!

Which is a bit shit, but I'll get to see some of you guys and THAT cheers me up!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The band playing in the union at school is actually pretty good.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'm in Los Angeles!

Which is a bit shit, but I'll get to see some of you guys and THAT cheers me up!
    Aww, wish I could have made it there. Have fun!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Got a relatively small, but sorely needed, piece of code working.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'm in Los Angeles!

Awww! post pictures of any drunken bacchanalia that occurs.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Motherfucking snow!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    i want snow =[ it's boston and we've been having 40 degree weather.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    It's minus 12°C over here, which is insane given that about a week ago it was still on average something like 12°C. But the snow is AWESOME!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My fiancée got me a cold war era Soviet navy wool greatcoat. She knows me so well.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    My fiancée got me a cold war era Soviet navy wool greatcoat. She knows me so well.
    My aunt gave me an East German border guard's uniform jacket for Christmas once. Very cool.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Allegro, sry to hear about your Dad. Mine passed in May 2009 (he was DNR and on hospice), and it still hurts sometimes.

Tahoe is awesome, we had a lot of fun there. Someday, I'll be skiing again (IF I get my fat ass back in shape and get more money)

Boats are a Black Hole for money. You already have one, so you know what I mean. Docking, storage (in northern climates), maintenance, etc. Our family had a sailboat until about 5 years ago and it sucked up cash and time. I think powerboats are more cost-effective, though I (personally) like sailing better.

We're going to Punta Cana in April!!!! Can't wait, we got a decent deal on a swank all-inclusive, looking forward to laying in the sun and sipping daiquiris for 7 days. Got a deal on First Class air too (got an upgrade once before, it was AWESOME), so maybe we won't arrive too strung out. Two months to make sure last summer's clothes fit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Re dad, thanks. Yeah, it sucks.

We don't have a boat, yet, still shopping. But we're aware of costs. You're either into it or you're not, ya know? We have limits set because we don't want a "condo" that sits at a dock and never moves because the boat eats $500 in gas just to drive it around for 1/2 hour. Sailing, we tried, we got bored. :-)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post

Considering that my DAD DIED on December 28th (my mom and I had to make decision to take him off life support, per his DNR, he was admitted via EMS on Christmas night), this is all something we're trying to look forward to. He loved skiing.
    I'm sorry about your Dad....

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Thanks very much.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'd asked one of the school mentors to visit my classes, because I have two really difficult groups and I wanted some feedback. She was there today and though she had some very valid criticisms and some really good tips, she also said that I was a very warm teacher and that she could feel the genuine affection for my students in every aspect of my class.
    SO HAPPY

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    My aunt gave me an East German border guard's uniform jacket for Christmas once. Very cool.
    jealous of all these talks of heavy military jackets. i'm likely too short and poor to find one for myself.

as for this moment: (relatively) fresh breath after morning coffee, thanks to york peppermint pattie creamer. the feeling is mildly bizarre, but pleasant.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    jealous of all these talks of heavy military jackets. i'm likely too short and poor to find one for myself.

as for this moment: (relatively) fresh breath after morning coffee, thanks to york peppermint pattie creamer. the feeling is mildly bizarre, but pleasant.
    Church Street Surplus. I want one really badly from there but can't justify $75-$100. But, that's not that bad!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    now that's a price i can handle, though i've always had some reservations about paying a lot for clothes (but obv. not the same for music). i'm looking for the more sleek german style thing and not so much a trenchcoat mafia sort of thing.-- or a bomber/leather jacket that doesn't have all the ramones-style zippers and buttons... probably asking the impossible.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    This is the same one I've got:

Also, allegro, sorry to hear about your dad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    just taught myself how to knit

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I completely raped my credit card with the help of the vintage shops on Melrose Avenue

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    As much as my personal life might be extremely challenging right now, my job is getting better. A couple of weeks ago my manager assigned me to a new area of technology that is suppose to sell in the next two years. Then he told me this week that I'm highly valued, loves having me on his team because I take initiative, I'm strong on the soft skills, and don't require a lot of hand holding. Score.

And I slept 6 hours straight for the first time in months. Dam you red wine - I always figure out it's your fault waking me up.
    Last edited by Dra508; 02-08-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Hey double post since I actually have something to be cheerful about. Come on guys, I'm the one who's life just had a grenade thrown at it and even I have something to be cheerful about.

Had dinner with a friend that I haven't seen in so long. I just love her sensibility and intelligence and she laughs at my jokes. She a struggling writer who can't get her book published. She should self publish, but I don't the first thing about it to give her any counsel. Also, we talked about writing something together, sort of a primer for first time voters. Something accessible that 18 year olds would actually read.

VVVVV- I feel old. I don't remember what conversation you are referring to you.
    Last edited by Dra508; 02-10-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: responding to the green mountain boy

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Hey double post since I actually have something to be cheerful about. Come on guys, I'm the one who's life just had a grenade thrown at it and even I have something to be cheerful about.

Had dinner with a friend that I haven't seen in so long. I just love her sensibility and intelligence and she laughs at my jokes. She a struggling writer who can't get her book published. She should self publish, but I don't the first thing about it to give her any counsel. Also, we talked about writing something together, sort of a primer for first time voters. Something accessible that 18 year olds would actually read.
    You are rocking! Did that boss discussion go over your "angle" at how to do your job best that you were not looking forward to? I'm assuming that also went well. Psyched for you despite the other issues.

I also seem to be going gangbusters at work (suddenly I'm feeling like an "expert", when did that happen??) and my next round of marathon training. I'm also not afraid to say that I'm feeling my most physically fit in over many many years despite just turning (gulp) 42.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    i found a great website to learn sign language. Now i've got something to make me feel productive during my free time.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    i found a great website to learn sign language. Now i've got something to make me feel productive during my free time.
    Would you mind sharing the link? I work with some developmentally disabled folks (I teach them an exercise class) and this would be helpful for a few of them, who understand what I"m saying but aren't verbal and use sign - I've learnt a few signs, but I'd like to learn more.

When you see someone liked your post - it is a nice feeling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    black people.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Would you mind sharing the link? I work with some developmentally disabled folks (I teach them an exercise class) and this would be helpful for a few of them, who understand what I"m saying but aren't verbal and use sign - I've learnt a few signs, but I'd like to learn more.

When you see someone liked your post - it is a nice feeling.
    Here it is!
    http://www.westwoodasl.com/moodle/

You just have to create an account and then there's this "course list". I didn't notice that it was only the first few lessons that are free, and then after that you have to pay a small fee for the rest of the lessons. I'm going to look around to see if I find one that's completely free...