Page 10 of 182 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    San Diego Comic-Con passes being easily purchased this year, especially since they sold out in 90 minutes today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eating fruity pebbles, because despite being 26 years old, I couldn't bring myself to buy the other malt-o-meal choices.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    recently started playing craps. have bee to the casion 4 times, and have never lost money plaing. Up $500 dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know why this cheered me up, but it did.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Three days into my "diet" and it's not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I put diet in quotes because I'm not going full-force into it just yet, but I'm definitely on the way. I'm eating much healthier than I did before. Much, much healthier. And I'm starting to exercise more. Huzzah!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I just deleted my facebook.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I just deleted my facebook.
    welcome back from the dark side!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Three days into my "diet" and it's not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I put diet in quotes because I'm not going full-force into it just yet, but I'm definitely on the way. I'm eating much healthier than I did before. Much, much healthier. And I'm starting to exercise more. Huzzah!
    Way to go. I agree with putting it in quotes. Really, its changing your life style. No, I won't eat that crappy junk food. I won't eat a pound of pasta. Having said that, I am forgetting last week's transgressions, forgiving myself for eating pounds of salt and sugar and moving on. This cheers me + exercise really does occupy your time and makes you feel better.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^The salt is what scares me the most. My first goal was to cut carbs down and better control my blood sugar. That's not too terribly hard. Next it will be calories and probably sodium. It sucks, because I've been eating relatively healthy- the last few nights, I've had a salad and sandwich for dinner. Way healthier than I've eaten in a long time. But then I start looking at the salt content- especially on the lunch meat- and it's like, holy crap, I'm eating my ENTIRE daily allowance with one sandwich. Ridiculous.

So, yeah. I think cutting down on the sodium is going to limit my options even further. But it's necessary, so I'll just have to figure out a way to do it, and balance it out with the lower carbs and calories. And...probably...cut out soda. Diet soda, but still.

Yeah, the exercise thing is coming along, albeit slowly. One step at a time, but I should be really running with this pretty soon.

And thanks for the encouraging words.
    Last edited by theruiner; 03-07-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Hell YES. I met a wealthy guy at the last charity event I did, and he told me I could use his private (super awesome, super stocked) campground in Sequoia National Forest. Now I've got a trip planned for the 16th, and I can't wait! I haven't been camping in about five weeks, which is way too long for me to be stuck in the city. A couple of my former professors, who are hilarious and fun as hell, might even go with me (hopefully).

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Will you be availing yourselves of a "Texas Mickey" of any alcoholic beverage?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Doubtful. I used to smoke a bit of pot out there and stumble around on ridge tops in the moonlight (yes, literally), but I rarely do anything anymore. Some of my companions might indulge, however. College professors, it turns out, are a bunch of educated hooligans.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Heh, you don't have to tell me! I know a few.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    One step at a time
    Words to live by.

Lunch meat and canned soup are sodium giants. It's sick. I've found adding legumes to my salad really fills me up too.

My cheer of the day is that I'm going to try and not feel so responsible for others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There's nothing quite like standing under the shower on a cold day 'til your skin's so hot it hurts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Texting all night with the guy I mentioned in this thread.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Words to live by.

Lunch meat and canned soup are sodium giants. It's sick. I've found adding legumes to my salad really fills me up too.
    I know, it's insane. The lunch meats are the next thing to go. I've already started thinking about alternatives. I'm going to try to cut out the red meat, too, at least for the most part. I'm almost a week into it, which isn't a long time, but it's longer than I've ever been on a diet before (pathetic, I know). Well, it's not really a diet, because I don't plan on ever eating unhealthy again, but you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm on my sixth day and I'm amazed at how easy it's been. I don't even really miss my old foods.

That being said, Tuesday's my birthday, and I'm going to allow myself one decent (read: bad) meal for dinner. Then it's back to the good stuff.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    While at work, one of our customers who works at Imo's pizza came by and said he had a pizza a guy cancelled and sold it to me for $2. Hello cheap lunch.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I just had my first lucid dream. Whoa.

Edit: I'm reading up on it now, and I guess I have technically had lucid dreams before, because apparently it's any dream where you're aware you're dreaming, whether you can actively take control of the dream or not. I've had dreams before where I kind of knew I was dreaming, but I don't really feel I had control over them, and the feeling of "knowing" I was dreaming was kind of vague. This was the first time where I was completely aware I was dreaming AND I was able to take control of the dream and do what I wanted. It was so strange.
    Last edited by theruiner; 03-11-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just got an email from a job I applied for back in December saying there was an error with their system and that they needed my information re-sent. The best part about it is that the job I applied for was Astronaut Candidate. That's right. I applied to be an astronaut, AND they need some of my information re-sent.
    Now, I understand that this in no way implies anything other than NASA needing a new copy of my forms, but it was cool as shit to actually hear back from an actual person.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Still, that's pretty damn awesome, you should be able to put that on your C.V. "Applied for Astronaut Candidacy - Was called back."

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I don't mean this in an insulting way, but are you seriously pursuing that, or did you send in that application as a goof? If you're serious about it, then that's pretty cool, actually. We could have our first ETSer in space!*

*=as opposed to prison. We passed that milestone a loooong time ago.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, I actually am hoping something comes of it. I've wanted to be an astronaut for a long, long time and the major reason why I became interested in science and math was due to my love of astronomy. Plus, it would be a great way to increase the awareness of science and science education in the public.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    That's awesome, man! I hope it works out for you. Keep us updated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks! Will do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    May sound stupid, but some well thrown passes and some great catches by the receivers yesterday. The pursuit of a perfectly thrown pass.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    Yeah, I actually am hoping something comes of it. I've wanted to be an astronaut for a long, long time and the major reason why I became interested in science and math was due to my love of astronomy. Plus, it would be a great way to increase the awareness of science and science education in the public.
    Just be sure and take a can of spray paint up with you when they send you to the moon base:
    "I'M THE GUY WHO CLEANS THE SANTORUM OFF NEWT'S MOON-THRONE NIN RULEZ!!!"

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    So when I was 13/14 my best friends at the time sat me down in and told me that I'd made up all of the problems I had at home and I was a liar. Quite surprisingly, this (along with all the other balls I've told you over the years, ETS) has made me quite reluctant to trust humans and talk to them about my feelings and life experiences.

But I've finally become a lot better at talking to people (outside of the realm of HFWYD) about bad things as they happen, and it has been quite nice to find support and concern at the other end of the phone/gchat/table over the past few months. So maybe this is the first step to me figuratively unclenching my rectum for the first time in 12 years, eh?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Pasta. When I avoid it for awhile and then treat myself yummmmmmmm.

That and impulsively taking a trip to see someone....