Page 12 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that cheer you up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I am finally beginning to conquer The Depression, which is awesome. Kind of. Well, it cheers me up anyway.
    Good stuff. Really. I do wish you the best.

I was actually coming here to say a similar thing. That it passes. It comes and goes. Like the sun, like the rain. Just wait one more day.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hot coffee on cold morning.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    kidnapped my dogs from my parents so they can stay with me for a week, I really miss those mutts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Received as a gift the last twenty bucks I needed to buy the bicycle I want. Waited over three months to get this together since the speeding ticket ate up all my funds - gah!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Roadtripping back to the city I used to live in and finding that the friends I miss are still there and still awesome, having a wonderful time and still not wanting to move back now or ever.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^How are your old ones taking it?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Cleaned the whole house (well, the three rooms + bathroom + shower closet thing). It's all sparkly now, like an Ikea showroom.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I bought a studded belt for $3 the other day. It's trashily emo. I wore it to work.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Elke's back!

Also: I've been told yesterday that I have to stop losing weight because SOON there won't be anything left of me. I patiently explained that I have no control over my weight loss (for those of you who don't know yet: I had bariatric surgery last year, in January; they remove 3/4 of my stomach and half my small intestine. Since then, I've lost 140 pounds. While the weight loss can continue for up to a year yet it has drastically reduce though).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Muahahahaha.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Been hanging out with the girl i mentioned a while back some more lately. Not sure if it's gonna go anywhere and that's fine it's just nice to find some new people to hang out with. Especially since this seems to be the season for relationship issues with a majority of the people i know. That and not drinking as much lately is helping too, though there are days where i really question my decision. Tonight though i think im gonna treat myself to an nice Trappist ale and maybe some Newcastle's.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Secured at least $2M in flood warning work, feels good man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So it's been decades since I've posted on this forum, but it's midnight, I'm out of town for a conference, and super excited; just got offered a paid motion design internship in LA for this summer. So stoked because I landed it with basically an eight-minute interview when he came to our university to look for an intern. Honestly I don't even know if I'm going to be ABLE to take it, but it was a huge boost, especially considering how stressed I've been about landing a summer internship. I'm at a design conference right now and that's basically what I came here for. It's awesome to know I have a (paid) option, and a lot farther from home than I was expecting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I arrive home on a rainy day.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    theruiner, you were right in Little Things That Piss You Off: it was a lot better than I feared. I had a good day at school today, and the kids were mostly happy to see me again and didn't like the substitute one bit, so that was great
    I also had a talk with a boy who talked about being bi for the first time in his life, and I think I handled it rather well. It's a relief to be able to just talk about myself now, and I noticed he was really shocked by what I had to say. He couldn't imagine being in a relationship with a girl and telling her that he also liked boys, he thought no girl would want him. My heart breaks for that kid. But I do feel good about the conversation, so... it's one of those rare moments that I'm actually glad to be gay, because it's something I understand better than most of his other teachers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    this

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Submitted final version of my dissertation. I defend May 11. Mixed emotions cause if I had the time I'd rewrite the whole damn thing.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Isanyoneup.com is finally down: http://www.bullyville.com/?page=articles&id=358

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    For the last few days, I've been having real long phone conversations with the girl I've been talking to. She really wants to do something soon together, but we both don't really have a consistent source of transportation. I swear though I will find a way to take her out for her birthday. I'll ride her on the damn handle bars of a bike if I have to!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    For the last few days, I've been having real long phone conversations with the girl I've been talking to. She really wants to do something soon together, but we both don't really have a consistent source of transportation. I swear though I will find a way to take her out for her birthday. I'll ride her on the damn handle bars of a bike if I have to!
    Power to ya, man! Do what you gotta do!

I feel gooood today. My girlfriend and I broke up after almost 2 years. It's all a result of something I did, and it's literally the only regret I have about anything in my life. As a result, I've been dealing with depression for a couple weeks, and I think I'm doing better. Today, I went to get breakfast at Spangles, and the (really cute) girl who usually works mornings said "Haven't you been in here before? I thought so. I recognize your pretty green eyes!" then told me she hopes she sees me again really soon, which she never says, so it wasn't like she was saying it to me as a customer. I dunno, it just made me feel really good. I don't think I'm a bad looking dude, but compliments from strangers are always nice.

Fuck depression, I'm getting over this.

Edit - I should clarify, I'm not saying that I'm over Hannah or hoping to score with this girl or anything, because me and Hannah are still kinda working through some things, but I just feel better than I have in two weeks. I still really hope things work out with her. But hey, things are gonna work however they work. She's a great person, I wouldn't have any ill will against her.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tomorrow, we are hanging out, that is if her anxiety isn't too bad. Hopefully it won't be. I'll even pray if I have to.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    A good friend from my university days came over to the house I live in yesterday. He's been doing a Masters program in journalism; one of his classes is in radio production, and for an assignment he's doing an audio documentary on our time at Trinity College in Toronto. We spoke for almost an hour and he recorded the conversation to use as raw material. It was great to catch up and also help him out. I'm excited to hear the final product.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't know why, but every time someone likes my posts, it makes me feel happy. I guess I'm doing something right.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    A good friend from my university days came over to the house I live in yesterday. He's been doing a Masters program in journalism; one of his classes is in radio production, and for an assignment he's doing an audio documentary on our time at Trinity College in Toronto. We spoke for almost an hour and he recorded the conversation to use as raw material. It was great to catch up and also help him out. I'm excited to hear the final product.
    Heh, I know a guy who did something like this in art school. I was his subject, but he made sure I was shitfaced on Guinness before he started recording. I never heard the final product, but I think there was a lot of long rambling, obscenity-laced diatribes. Or he turned on the recorder at the beginning... The point might have been to chart the drunken progress... I don't remember much about that night, but there is a photo somewhere of me drinking Guinness out of a novelty coffee mug that had giant ceramic tits.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    And I met her. What a lovely person, and what a lovely Woman. I wish she wasn't so down on herself.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Getting a sorely needed haircut.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I was listening to a progressive talk show, and a guy called in talking about how heterosexuals are "losing their rights" in this country. What. When the host asked him which rights they were losing, he said (paraphrasing), "The right to not hire homosexuals or transgendered people if I don't want to." The host started using logic (not this caller's strong suit, obviously) to explain how awful that was, and the guy goes, "You're trying to make me look stupid." And then the host goes, "Oh, I don't have to try." That was awesome. He then completely decimated this guy's argument, which included the idea that it was ok to discriminate against gay people, but not ok to discriminate against African-Americans (the example the host gave), because they don't "choose" to be born African-American unlike, of course, gay people, who chose to be that way.

I've heard a million of these arguments, all of them dumber than the last, but it always cheers me up to hear someone logically deconstruct them and show how incredibly stupid they really are.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Driving around town listening to some music and getting away from people and problems. Never fails to cheer me up a bit.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    And I met her. What a lovely person, and what a lovely Woman. I wish she wasn't so down on herself.
    Way to go! I know that feeling, though. At least you got yourself to go do it!

Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    Driving around town listening to some music and getting away from people and problems. Never fails to cheer me up a bit.
    People underestimate this. It always does wonders.