Thread: The Menstruation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Monophasic and would typically skip the placebos, but I'd also fuck up the pill A LOT and I think that contributed to it. Getting back on it, I'm definitely going to commit to taking it when I wake up vs. other random times.

I also have fibrocystic breasts and did get a sonogram over the lumps a couple of years back, but the whole thing is just so obnoxious. Why do boobs need to be like this. :/ I also did *not* know that 6x fact. Christ. D:

Also like, wait what, are sonograms more effective? I can't for the life of me understand why we wouldn't standardize that. So much less painful, I'd imagine. Just a wand + pressure vs. the clampy thing (I'm 29 so haven't done the clampy thing just yet but I am not looking forward to clampy thing)
    There IS standardization, now, see lists of states here (it's somewhat outdated, there are more updated lists somewhere but I'm working on a home security system now, LOL, sorry). If you are determined to have “dense” breasts, they must now notify you (in writing) after your mammogram and advise you to get an ultrasound. Then, you get both the mammogram and the ultrasound automatically after that (I do same day). The new ultrasound machines are AWESOME, they’re automated, like a copy machine on your boob while you’re on your back, but they don’t hurt at ALL. Did you have that kind? The old kind was manual, with a tech using a hand-held and pushing it down rolling it on your boob, holy shit it was no fun. At the hospital I use for the new kind, they put a warm blanket on me while I’m getting it done, it’s like a friggin’ SPA. And the best part with the ACA is that they aren’t supposed to charge you a fortune for this shit, either. My insurance covers all of it. I believe this applies to you, too.

The clampy thing (mammogram) is now digital and still required and hurts if you’re dense / fibrocystic, but learn to TELL THEM THAT and they’ll be nice. I once had a tech who was learning the new digital machine and instead of letting UP on the vice grip, she went DOWN and clamped it harder; I had bruises on my boob for days; I cried in the hospital parking lot for 20 minutes, I was so upset. The next year, I told that tech what happened and if it hurts, I’m leaving and I’m never coming back for another mammogram so they better get this shit right. She was really nice, said that should have NEVER happened; she said taking a few ibuprofen first helps women like me and she said to tell techs if stuff hurts, etc. But, really, it has NEVER hurt bad again, so don’t worry, the digital is way better than the old way; I believe 35 is the "baseline" age for your first one, then you get them annually after that, so you have a while. But, you SHOULD do monthly self-exams, natch, so you know what is "normal" for you.

While I’m sitting there naked from the waist up, except for my pink gown, reading ancient magazines in the waiting room, wearing no antiperspirant (it affects mammograms), waiting for my name to be called, I remind myself that it’s ALL better than having breast cancer.

I used to take my BC right after brushing my teeth at night, I put them right by my tooth brush and tooth paste; I never ever skip that, and the visual of seeing them were reminders, a daily “routine,” which really helped me, for what it’s worth.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-27-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Ooh, this is all hella helpful, thanks.

I'm really diligent about self exams since I typically just check what's going on in the shower, and I am dense/fibrocystic -- so I guess when I see my PCP I should ask about getting on a cadence, or if I need to.

The sono I had was with the rolly thing and a tech -- it also came with the special gowns and all that -- weird experience but once I should get used to, I suppose. And it's reassuring that they're not supposed to be painful! I'm so sorry you had such a shit experience with yours.