Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Challengers (2024)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I just can't help think of Trent teaching his kids how to count after hearing "Compress/Repress"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I'm with you. Outside of The Social Network and the TMNT score last year, I maybe give it two spins and don't revisit them much.

THIS however. I haven't been able to stop.
    same feeling here, the last scores they’ve done feel a bit samey, and don’t have a lot of replay value. This score is top TR/AR for me, along with TSN, TGWTDT and Soul. I’ve listened to it 3 times since it came out. My only complain about this Challengers mix is that I wish it was 30 minutes longer, it’s too short.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's an absolute "banger" as the kids say. Really enjoying this and I love they've done something different releasing this remix version first.

It has got me really wanting to hear the original score now though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The bass line in the song "Challengers" what NIN song is that from? I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    The bass line in the song "Challengers" what NIN song is that from? I cannot figure it out for the life of me.
    Similarish to 'Nun with a MotherF*&*ing Gun' from Watchmen. Around the 1.25 mark.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    For those who were still wondering:

While the “Challengers” score will release in tandem with the film, a different version entitled “Challengers [Mixed]” hit streaming services on April 12, featuring a special mix of songs remixed by Boys Noize. A rendition “Compress / Repress,” which features Reznor’s vocals and was co-written with Guadagnino, was included on “[Mixed],” but viewers will have to wait until the end of the film to hear the original version.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Went to the see the movie last night, it was really good. The songs sound different than Challengers [Mixed] (obviously) but it's not a day and night difference. The songs are really well integrated to the movie, made me think of The Social Network, in the way that the soundtrack there was another character in the film, same thing here. Zendaya should be going for a Best Actress nom at the Oscars, she just kills it. Hoping our boys get a nomination for this one as well.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Officially official...

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    saw a screening on monday -- i can't believe TR/AR have been in the game for over a decade and it took this long for someone to say hey score this film of nothing but WALL TO WALL HORNINESS. both the film and score are everything we've been waiting for. (i'm assuming all NIN listeners are as horny as i am, don't correct me if i'm wrong.)

to my ears the score sounded even better than the [MIXED] version, but it was a dolby cinema and the sound mix was astounding so it could just be the bias of that experience. and btw -- find the theater with the best sound for this so you can feel TR/AR's wondrous expression of "unending homoerotic tension" in your booones.

gonna see it again this weekend. the wait till friday for the proper score has been agonizing. there were definitely a couple of pieces where i was wondering if it was score or source music, excited to find out.

edit: releasing the remix record first felt like a real '90s throwback move -- there's a chance i heard further down the spiral before the downward spiral way back in '95 or '96 just because someone lent me that CD first. or how my friends and i heard the muddy banks of the wishkah before in utero or nevermind. IT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME
    Last edited by howdidislipinto; 04-24-2024 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Went to the see the movie last night, it was really good. The songs sound different than Challengers [Mixed] (obviously) but it's not a day and night difference. The songs are really well integrated to the movie, made me think of The Social Network, in the way that the soundtrack there was another character in the film, same thing here. Zendaya should be going for a Best Actress nom at the Oscars, she just kills it. Hoping our boys get a nomination for this one as well.
    This may sound weird but...I feel like this score is too FUN to get an Oscar. Does that makes sense to anyone but me?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I can kind of see what you mean, that it could potentially not be seen as "weighty" enough to earn an Oscar win over what the academy might see as a more conventionally bombastic score. I think it would have a lot of merit in terms of musicality, but it could have an uphill climb given the genre. If Challengers gets big Oscar buzz, though, that would definitely help its case.

I know people are tired of hearing and talking about this, but I do wonder if a physical release is more likely here given that Sony (through Milan Records) is handling distribution of this soundtrack, as opposed to Trent and Atticus doing their own distribution like with the previous few scores. Here's hoping!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    totally not related - until it is - but Sony did take over production of Disney physical releases due to their fabrication facilities so they at least have that feather in their cap.

The fab facilities, not Disney, to be clear.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    but Sony did take over production of Disney physical releases due to their fabrication facilities so they at least have that feather in their cap.
    Just to clarify, that is only for home video releases, and so only relates to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Sony Music Entertainment is a different company altogether.

But speaking of the companies, Milan Records does put out a lot of vinyl releases, so I think there's probably a better than average chance of this getting a vinyl release.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Milan Records responded to me directly and said they are working on both a CD, and Vinyl release!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    Milan Records responded to me directly and said they are working on both a CD, and Vinyl release!
    Transparency: It goes a long way!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    What the fuck is a CD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    What the fuck is a CD?
    i hope you asked this WITH YOUR FUCKING PHONE TURNED OFF

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just listened to the OST and I’ve got to say I prefer the boys noise mix for most of the songs. Especially Compress Repress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    put on yeah just to check and i’m glad tr&ar version sounds much more concise than whatever boyz noise was doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Final Set / Pull Over is quickly becoming one of my new favorite piano performances by Trent.

Also, I am officially in love with Compress/Repress.
    Last edited by wizfan; 04-26-2024 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have listened to both the MIXED soundtrack and the normal one and watched the film in cinema yesterday. I can honestly say that this is the best album they have done since Watchmen - and I really like those. It's energetic, fun, but still deep in the Reznor/NIN style that I love, and it even reminds me of PHM and YZ in certain places. Really good! And keep in mind that I'm not really a big fan of techno/house music. But this is kickass!

I don't know what Boys Noize has done, it seems that the songs on the non-MIXED version are split into pieces more so the MIXED version flows better. But that's kind of it. My initial thought was that all the techno stuff was added by Boys Noize, and I'm glad that this is not the case. I can't help but think that this german guy was not needed at all. His involvement seems much more minimal than I thought, but I do love some weird lyrics inserted into the MIXED version and maybe that's his doing, who knows.
    Usually I like soundtrack albums that can be an experience on their own, without the film, this is why I hate the iphone alarm interrupting the song and stuff like this. The inclusion of the "New Year Carol" choir version feels weird to me (although a bit funny) and doesn't match the rest of the album. Other than this, the normal album is really solid too, but for now I think I like the MIXED version better! Awesome idea! I wonder if a definitive mix that gets songs from both versions will be available on Bandcamp. That would be cool.

The film is great too, although maybe it drags a bit in the first half, it's like a good play and I love how certain little details from the first part make a comeback in the second part. Good writing. No spoilers, but I love the time jumping and story and overall it's really good! The soundtrack fits really well, and this is interesting considering that it's not a subdued atmospheric soundtrack.

Really pleased with this soundtrack!
    Last edited by andreiuc88; 04-26-2024 at 05:54 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    had a big rant about the vinyl release but removed it and put it in the TR/AR score thread to not clog up this one...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So is Qobuz the best price on this for hi-res? Doesn't look like this one is going up on their Bandcamp page.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    So is Qobuz the best price on this for hi-res? Doesn't look like this one is going up on their Bandcamp page.
    Yeah, the only places it's shown up are Qobuz and HDTracks, and Qobuz is the cheapest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Yeah, the only places it's shown up are Qobuz and HDTracks, and Qobuz is the cheapest.
    If you're getting HDtracks marketing emails, there's usually a 25% off coupon code - perhaps 'April 25 New' but without spaces - which brings the HDtracks download to $15ish