Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clerks 3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Clerks 3

Could not be happier about this. I was disappointed when K. Smith said he was probably done directing. I love the Clerks movies and the universe created around them.

Those Kevin Smith fans hopeful and anticipating the writer/director's third installment of the Clerks story will be happy to know that Smith has begun writing Clerks III. Smith notified his fans just moments ago that he began writing the third Clerks film at 4:20 in the morning today. Jay and Silent Bob would likely approve of Smith's choice in start-time.

Smith posted the following photo of the title page of Clerks III on his Facebook page today.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END
    20 years ago today, we started shooting CLERKS.
    20 years later, with no plan or provocation, I jumped out of bed at 4:20 this morning and started writing CLERKS III.
    It's been like hanging out with old friends.
    And after 2 hours of tapping the keys and giggling, I have come to a conclusion... CLERKS III will be the best film I'll ever make.

He refers to it as a film, so he's presumably drafting a movie script, however last month, Smith was quoted as saying he wanted to do Clerks 3 as a book first, telling a story in episodic chapters that would come before the sequel. Whether or not he still has plans to do that weren't mentioned in his post, but he does sound especially optimistic and excited to be revisiting the story of the characters who work at and linger around the New Jersey-set convenient store, the Quick Stop.

Clerks arrived in theaters on October 19, 1994 and starred Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, Marilyn Ghigliotti, as well as Jason Mewes and Smith as Jay & Silent Bob respectively. More than a decade later, Clerks II brought the cast back together in 2006, adding Rosario Dawson to the mix. What will Clerks III bring, besides the end of this saga? Smith's apparently working on answering that question now.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'll be watching this one, i think he has grown as a director and he clearly has something to say in his 40's... and please pretty please bring the "Berserker" back!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does this have funding yet? last I heard Kev and the Weinsteins are still figuring out the money from the last clerks, and I don't think Kev can self fund another project. It'll be interesting to see if and how this sees the light of day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    would you like to suck my cock, BERSERKER!

wonderful news. cant wait!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    *slurp slurp slurp*

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Clerks II remains my favorite Kevin Smith movie, and one of my favorite movies/comedies period. Nothing would make me happier than for Kevin to go out like he came in.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i need to remember to catch up with Comic Book Men. show is scripted and totally fake, but its nice to see Kevin every week and the cool comics & items that they feature.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Comic Book Men is NOT scripted, when the camera roles it captures what the guys say, there isn't a single line of written script. People come in on certain filming days, but that doesn't make it scripted. All the little "adventures" they have are totally planned too, but it's still not SCRIPTED, so much so that most of the stupid shit they do is planned/made up by the guys themselves. Listen to the Tell Em Steve Dave podcast and you'll hear those guys are even funnier and wittier than they appear on the show. Kev Smith still says to this day that Bryan Johnson is the funniest man he's ever met.

Bry actually told a cool story on one of the new podcast's "Why, Bry!?", i think it was, where he said that one of the new producers or directors or whatever was feeding them lines and telling them to say certain things in certain ways. Bry got pissed off to the point that he called Kevin the night the straw broke (which doesn't take long with lovable Mr. Johnson) and said that he wouldn't be going back on set until that line feeding douche was fired. The next morning season one's director or whatever role it is was back on job and balance was restored.

Long story short.... Comic Book Men is not scripted.

And to keep on topic, I'm damn excited for Clerks 3. When Kev was talking about making Hit Somebody his last film I was pretty bummed. I remembered him telling a story about how cool it was to make Clerks 2 and revist those characters at a different age and different time of his life. Almost 10 years on again, I don't know why he wouldn't love to give it another shot. Now that it's happening it sound like the same thing is happening. Seeing him say "It's been like hanging out with old friends.
    And after 2 hours of tapping the keys and giggling, I have come to a conclusion... CLERKS III will be the best film I'll ever make." gives me confidence that it'll be a cool flick. I'm pretty sure he's listed Clerks 2 as his favourite film, it'll be awesome if the third's even better.

Anyone know if Jeff Anderson's signed on to the project yet?

Oh, and another awesome thing that's come out of Clerks 3 being Kev's last film is that Hit Somebody will now be a TV mini series (I assume on AMC?). That means we'll be getting the original double feature film length version of the film rather than the watered down single film version he was trying to get funded.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Bry, is that you?

Also, Thursday is a horrible fucking time slot. Why did they do that? To give Talking dead a full hour? Talking dead gets boring after 20 mins. Now since I work at night on Thursdays, I cannot give them the ratings because I have to either stream it or download it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Weird, I just starting rediscovering Kevin Smith. Been a fan for a long time, but haven't kept up with any of his work in ages. I'm in the process of reading his book Tough Shit, and he was talking about how it was time to hang up the skates and go out on his own terms, like his hockey idol, Wayne Gretzky. Was looking forward to seeing Hit Somebody when that came to completion, but I'm glad to hear he's had a change of heart and wants to revisit the Clerks series! I still have the signed animated Clerks DVD set from way back. Hopefully he doesn't go through a lot of financial hurdles to get this done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    Anyone know if Jeff Anderson's signed on to the project yet?
    he had better be, there is no randall without jeff anderson.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rosario Dawson please please please

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Clerks 3

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Rosario Dawson please please please
    That's up to her really.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The trailer is out...just going through this thread, can't believe he started planning this sequel 9 YEARS ago, looking forward to it:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm in.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    The trailer is out...just going through this thread, can't believe he started planning this sequel 9 YEARS ago, looking forward to it:
    I had to do a double take on the date of the first post of this thread. Wow!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    The trailer is out...just going through this thread, can't believe he started planning this sequel 9 YEARS ago
    wasn't it dead in the waters for quite a few years after the false start? Then Kevin did J&SB Reboot, worked on [Mallrats sequel? not sure] before this thing finally got greenlit.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Honestly, I think this looks pretty bad. I always felt like Clerks II was a fine sendoff for those characters. It also felt like an actual film, whereas this feels more like a cheap web series. Randall having a heart attack and deciding to make a movie is wayyy too on- the-nose too. We get it, Kevin. You almost died, but you don't have to incorporate that into everything you do now.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Count me in, we need more Elias in our lives...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Honestly, I think this looks pretty bad. I always felt like Clerks II was a fine sendoff for those characters. It also felt like an actual film, whereas this feels more like a cheap web series. Randall having a heart attack and deciding to make a movie is wayyy too on- the-nose too. We get it, Kevin. You almost died, but you don't have to incorporate that into everything you do now.
    I don't know if you've heard but Kevin Smith had a heart attack.

I get that he approaches his podcasts as "it's always someone's first time" but I've heard those words so many times over the past couple years. We know, Kevin.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A thing to remember is that Kevin isn't really trying to make "good" movies anymore. Red State was the last time he really sat down and tried to make a solid film. Tusk, Yoga Hosers, and Moosejaws (if it would have happened) were wacky experiments, and Reboot--and likely Clerks III--are him going to back to the well to play and have fun with his friends and give his fans a little P.S. to his filmography.

That said, he's also said he wouldn't make Clerks III unless he really had something to say, and we know how much of a task it was to get Jeff Anderson back on board, so the movie may surprise us yet.

But ultimately, I don't go into a Kevin Smith movie hoping for it to blow my mind. I'm happy for it to just be a silly sequence of jokes and cameos tied together by a narrative thread.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    A thing to remember is that Kevin isn't really trying to make "good" movies anymore. Red State was the last time he really sat down and tried to make a solid film.
    Red State was actually the last film of his I really enjoyed, precisely because he was actually trying with it. I would love to see him make that kind of effort again, but it seems like his priorities have changed, especially after his heart attack. More power to him, I suppose, but it's kind of a shame knowing he could be doing other, more interesting stuff.

But ultimately, I don't go into a Kevin Smith movie hoping for it to blow my mind. I'm happy for it to just be a silly sequence of jokes and cameos tied together by a narrative thread.
    I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing. I just was hoping for something that didn't feel this cheap or obvious.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Red State" was awesome, im happy to find some love for it here...

He has gotten so much hate lately, specially for his "Masters of the Universe" series, in a way i don't blame him if he wants to do whatever the hell he wants, this guy is loved or hated, there's no middle ground...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    to reiterate, this will be awful and the notion of making should not be supported.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    You know, if it weren't for him mentioning it the other day I would have totally forgotten about his Killroy movie.
    The film was released via NFT minting platform Legendao as 5,555 exclusive tokens on July 12, 2022.
    Last edited by allegate; 07-20-2022 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watched this on a flight this morning. Surprisingly warm, genuine, and touching, but still with plenty of laughs. Turns out I was happy to be in a dark plane cabin on a pre-dawn flight, because I'm fairly sure I teared up a couple of times toward the end. I've always felt that Kevin Smith is not everyone's cup of tea, but he writes from the heart (pardon the expression) and sure as hell knows his audience. Enough nods to the first two installments to satisfy, but it's not all nostalgia and for those of us who are now approaching or just past 50, it's startling to realize how we have aged along with the characters. Solid film, and a definite recommend for anyone who has dabbled in the View Askew realm and had a pretty damn good time doing it. Be sure to stick around for KS' extended voiceover during the end credits.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    honestly, this is the most i've thought about a kevin smith movie after seeing it since dogma. it's like holden's line in chasing amy, "i finally had something personal to say."

also, i keep quoting elias lines. there's no truth in this art!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I just bought it via iTunes earlier today... gonna watch it tomorrow. And because I don't want to miss any of the, uh... nuanced world-building... I'mma gonna re-watch Clerks and Clerks 2 tonight before 3 tomorrow.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This was really well done. 10/10.