Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Monster of the week are most contained storylines. But, you would be missing a lot of great stuff if you skipped through. Why not just enjoy the series at your own pace?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I was going to finally start watching this show, but its length kinda holds me off. Is there much of story development going on in monster-of-the-week episodes, as opposed to mythology episodes? Will I miss much if just stick to the mythology?
    Most Monsters Of The Week episodes are standalone BUT a lot do have mentions, details, foreshadowing, plotlines and events that spill into Mythology.

Spoiler: Like revealing of Sully's cancer in the season 4 episode Leonard Betts.

I'd watch them all. Some of the ones without Mythology are some of the best like Home, Bad Blood, Humbug and Gender Bender (some of my faves).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I think the monster of the week episodes are the best thing about the show.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The mythology never quite stacks up, definitely was a make it up as you go along sort of thing. But their cover isn't blown on that until about the beginning of season 7, and until that happens it's pretty intriguing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I've just started binge watching the show. Just finished the first season. I've heard bad things about where the mythology goes, but they were among my favorite episodes in the first season. Can't believe I'd never seen an episode of the X-Files until recently.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've been an XF dork since around when the first movie came out, and the whole thing kinda fell off my radar after the second movie. Still have all the original huge dvd season sets from like 15 years ago, which are now effectively useless due to netflix. They look cool lined up next to each other on my shelf tho. I remember they were like $90 a pop brand new at the time. Crazy.

So is there still any potential for the 3rd movie happening? I thought like a year or two ago it was in the works and it was going to supposedly wrap up the mythology. They honestly should have done that with the second film imo. It was a cool story and all and was great to see the characters together again, but to me it came off way more like it should have been an episode arc or miniseries instead of a fucking feature film. To this day I don't know how the execs at Fox didn't expect it to flop in theaters considering the fan base, the majority reaction to how the series ended, the 6 year period in between, and the movie being a MOTW story.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    It depends on Fox. They really seem to have the final say on it. Everyone wants to do it. Last I saw was that a script was being worked on, and it depends on Fox giving them the green light. No matter the budget, they should've known better than to make a monster of the week movie.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    I've been an XF dork since around when the first movie came out, and the whole thing kinda fell off my radar after the second movie. Still have all the original huge dvd season sets from like 15 years ago, which are now effectively useless due to netflix. They look cool lined up next to each other on my shelf tho. I remember they were like $90 a pop brand new at the time. Crazy.
    I do too. The foil slipcase Collector's Edition copies. They're awesome. I love them, I didn't buy them that expensive though. I think Season 9 was the most I paid for, which was like maybe 24.96 or some shit.

I'm game for a third film if they make it.

Anyone interested in an upgraded quality of the show should watch re-runs airing on Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network channel. I watch it in the background here and there, although they skip random episodes and only seemed to have aired seasons 1-4 before they restarted with 1 again.

They just started season 2 on the channel; I watched The Host earlier on it. <3
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-24-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I've just started binge watching the show. Just finished the first season. I've heard bad things about where the mythology goes, but they were among my favorite episodes in the first season. Can't believe I'd never seen an episode of the X-Files until recently.
    The mythology is good for the first 6 years, it just doesn't wrap up well.

I recently started listening to Kumail Nanjiani's "X-files files" podcast and it's made me want to go back and rewatch along with them. Kind of bizarre that he'd launch an X-files pod this long after the show ended, but it's pretty good.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Duchovny's departure had a massive impact in the decline of the mythology. Not sure they knew what they were going to do with him leaving and after. We got super soldiers...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Duchovny's departure had a massive impact in the decline of the mythology. Not sure they knew what they were going to do with him leaving and after. We got super soldiers...

And a mutant baby lol. One of my favorite characters other than ol' smokey that I always thought was awesome through the whole series was Gibson Praise. It was so cool how he could fuck with people just by....ehhh that's kind of a spoiler for those on here who are new to the show so I won't say anything. That's caring, folks.

William B. Davis is still the man though. "You can't threaten me Mulder, I've watched presidents die."
    Best line of tv dialogue ever.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Cancer Man was awesome.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Cancer Man was awesome.

Yes he is, best quotes of the show too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    The mythology is good for the first 6 years, it just doesn't wrap up well.

I recently started listening to Kumail Nanjiani's "X-files files" podcast and it's made me want to go back and rewatch along with them. Kind of bizarre that he'd launch an X-files pod this long after the show ended, but it's pretty good.
    The podcast is the reason I started watching actually. I planned to just watch along with the podcast, but got hooked almost immediately and decided to just watch them all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    The podcast is the reason I started watching actually. I planned to just watch along with the podcast, but got hooked almost immediately and decided to just watch them all.
    Literally listening X Files Files right now. I was such a big fan growing up and am super stoked to rewatch these again [although I did a good amount of rewatching last year, oh well].

It's so funny, I've been finding that Kumail & the guest sometimes have the exact same conversations that my gf and I have after we watch the episode.

In case anyone is looking for the link go here for the podcast.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    If anyone wants a slightly used, barely damaged copy of the Collector's Edition version of Season 8, give me a PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Crap, I have to catch up on the podcast. Gotta say, I disagree with some of the coverage choices regarding season one. And what if they cut one of my faves?

IF YOU SKIP UNRUHE, I WILL HURT YOU, NANJIANI!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Crap, I have to catch up on the podcast. Gotta say, I disagree with some of the coverage choices regarding season one. And what if they cut one of my faves?

IF YOU SKIP UNRUHE, I WILL HURT YOU, NANJIANI!
    I never asked but what'd you think of seeing Gerry Schnauz on True Blood at Vamp camp?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I never asked but what'd you think of seeing Gerry Schnauz on True Blood at Vamp camp?
    Holy crap, I had no idea it was the same actor. Asshole should have used Twilight Sleep on Pam if he wanted to get at her brain demon thingies.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Holy crap, I had no idea it was the same actor. Asshole should have used Twilight Sleep on Pam if he wanted to get at her brain demon thingies.
    Yeah, he was the Psychiatrist.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Ich habe keine unruhe!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

Yes he is, best quotes of the show too.

He's still looking good. Hurry up and make another X-Files movie with him in it!

It was nice to see him as the Sheriff in this movie too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_Man_%28film%29

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Flipping through channels and finding that Chiller airs the show now! So both El Rey Network and Chiller air reruns.

Speaking of which, I find it surprising Chiller's airing "Home" tonight at 9. So bad it was aired once originally and never showed in syndication again on Fox as far as I know.

Well, Chiller is a horror channel so maybe it's not too surprising.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Fun episode that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is a great week to catch up with the podcast and check out the Glen Morgan episode!

Just in case: X Files Files

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Sounds like Kumail said he's not skipping any episodes anymore. I'm glad. I loved the Glen Morgan episode. The Kevin Smith episode that dropped this week was pretty good too. I felt like they could have talked even longer.

I just finished season 5. So the first movie is next. Too bad it's not on Netflix.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This was too awesome to not share and necropost:

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    While that is cool. CURSE YOU!!!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Looks like hope of a reboot. Wouldn't be surprised to see a limited series return. Seems to be the trend (24, Twin Peaks, etc). I'm all for another season. Anderson is a regular on Hannibal though...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Looks like hope of a reboot. Wouldn't be surprised to see a limited series return. Seems to be the trend (24, Twin Peaks, etc). I'm all for another season. Anderson is a regular on Hannibal though...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/
    I wouldn't hold your breath.