Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Founder's Mutation much more than the first.

Man, I missed this show. Do a full season guys!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Exposition was cringe-inducing, and none of the cinematography looked right until a certain scene despite using the same DP as the classic era.

I've seen up until episode 3 and it does get very good, but the pilot was rough stuff. So if you didn't like this, hang in there.
    How have you seen up to ep 3?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Okay, I'll give it a shot!

Aliens were invading Earth and Scully didn't believe Mulder...

But then Scully got *invaded* herself and had an alien/human hybrid Jesus-baby so she believed...

But then Mulder found out it was all bullshit and humans just took Roswell and ran with it as a cover story...

Except, I'm guessing, it's just like ALL THE OTHER X-FILES ALIEN MYTHOLOGY PLOTS and SEVERAL DIFFERENT FACTIONS are diligently at work against each other and Mulder and Scully will BOTH be proven right at the end.

Oh, yeah. And then after a bunch of time-killing, pay-scale renegotiating behind-the-scenes drama bullshit threatens the whole enterprise while it's on the brink of its GREATEST SUCCESS EVAR motherfucking ALL OVER AGAIN of course, that is.

OMFG I HOPE THAT'S NOT TRUE.

:'(
    That makes sense. If he's a super soldier though, shouldn't his skin be able to repair itself?

And why the hell would he want to keep smoking through his throat?
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-30-2016 at 04:14 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the premiere.

And to compare this to another reboot, I have to say Anderson and Duchovny were quite good at adapting back to their old characters. Much better than Ford and Fisher were able to in The Force Awakens.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Regarding S10E01, it was good, but over time I felt like this was season finale and suddenly they realized "omg, we have only 10 minutes left". But then again I was never real X-Files fan, I preferred Millennium. :-)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    how have you seen up to ep 3?

magic!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post

magic!
    I'd like to buy some of your magic.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Ugh, this Ford promotion within the show is getting annoying and distracting. The constant commercials for it is enough. Stop showing off the truck and what it comes with in the show. It's just so painfully obvious.
    But without their magic Ford dashcam how would they have known not to run that kid over in episode 2????

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm wondering if FOX demanded the introduction of the hoax reveal in order to start anew and keep the references to the original mytharc at minimum, effectively making this revival into a "stealth" reboot. The amount of stuff Carter does not seem to remember or simply decided to ignore is really frustrating. Not just the heavy-duty plot points (Holy shit, Sveta's confession changes everything! She's the key to all of this!! Even though she experienced the same things Scully and a thousand other women did!!!) but also the more trivial, yet memorable things like the X-files being hidden in Scully's home or how the IWTB poster was carefully picked up from the office floor by Doggett. The continuity is really off if you've just finished re-watching the original series.

That said, the second episode was amazing, it really felt like old times with an interesting case, full of creepy, funny, and also some surprisingly touching "meditating on our life" moments for our heroes. The only thing that brings it down a bit is Mulder referencing the Syndicate and the hybrids, which doesn't exactly make sense in the light of the previous episode, but eh. In a way MOTW and mytharc plots always tended to do their own thing.

I guess I'm excited for what's next, except for episode #6.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    But without their magic Ford dashcam how would they have known not to run that kid over in episode 2????
    that kid was Kyle!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Should the title of the episode "Home Again" be taken literally and we'll have a sequel story to those inbred hillbillies? I hope so.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Should the title of the episode "Home Again" be taken literally and we'll have a sequel story to those inbred hillbillies? I hope so.
    Glen Morgan has already stated that it's an unrelated story and the title is just basic trolling.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I always chocked the Home Again title to being "home again" in the sense that they're back on cases? *Shrug*

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Glen Morgan has already stated that it's an unrelated story and the title is just basic trolling.
    Damn! Oh well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The two scenes of William could-have-beens were fucking brutal to watch. That's the show I missed – emotional ascendence into the ethereality of being (pretentious ideas have to be expressed pretentiously), like the vision of Samantha at the end of "Closure."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The two scenes of William could-have-beens were fucking brutal to watch. That's the show I missed – emotional ascendence into the ethereality of being (pretentious ideas have to be expressed pretentiously), like the vision of Samantha at the end of "Closure."
    OMG I remember watching "Closure" when it first aired and it made me cry. They used that Moby song perfectly.

I've been an XF devotee since around the start of season 6. Aside from the continuity issues mentioned, I'm enjoying the new run quite a bit overall. It seemed a little awkward at first, like hanging out with an old close friend that you haven't seen in a real long time. The characters are visibly older, and the show is all HD now and edited more like a modern day crime drama. But once I got used to that it all started clicking again.

I really hope they give it enough time to find its feet again, and if not a full season, maybe a few more of these 6-ep. runs, cause I think in the modern, post-9/11 America, they could tell a lot of really kick ass new stories. Even just the nods to Ed Snowden and discussing the effects of the patriot act made the show feel really vital again.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The two scenes of William could-have-beens were fucking brutal to watch.
    for real. that shit was ROUGH.

it really sucks that there are only six episodes, because for me, the second one was fucking phenomenal and the first one was pretty damn good.
    maybe there will be more if the ratings are high enough.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-27-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    for real. that shit was ROUGH.

it really sucks that there are only six episodes, because for me, the second one was fucking phenomenal and the first one was pretty damn good.
    maybe there will be more if the ratings are high enough.
    Nielsen ratings have been pretty decent so far, so hopefully it continues.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...y-jan-25-2016/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    What are the odds of them picking it up for a full season? Is it even feasible at this point? Or would they do that thing where they pick it up for a full season but we don't see any of it for 6 months? I have no idea how American TV works...

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What are the odds of them picking it up for a full season? Is it even feasible at this point? Or would they do that thing where they pick it up for a full season but we don't see any of it for 6 months? I have no idea how American TV works...
    Duchovny said at his age now he doesn't think he could do a 20-something episode full season, but never say never.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Not sure anymore these days, seems like its all over the place. One thing that's becoming popular, like with The Walking Dead, is to split a season in half with a break of a few months in the middle instead of a straight 6-9 month run.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    but only six? i really can't believe it, especially now that i see just how good it is.

it would be great if they added episodes, wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Give us a third movie, please.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch these yet but, this being the forum it is, I just wanted to quietly mention that the return of this show has me listening to the Songs In The Key of X album again, which, back in 1996 at the age of 14 or so, was my first exposure to Nick Cave, Brian Eno, Danzig, Filter, Gary Numan by way of/and Foo Fighters, a downbeat version of Sheryl Crow far removed from the one I'd hear on top 40 radio in years to come, and freaking William S. Borroughs and R.E.M doing a track together. Boggles the mind. As a kid, I knew this album was awesome, but I had just no idea how awesome it really was, and how so many of these artists I'd come to know for many years.

And, of course, these guys:

I might be alone in this but fuck do I ever miss Soul Coughing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Watched the second one yesterday. Loved it. Hopefully we get more episodes in the future. Six just doesn't feel like enough. Maybe ten is more reasonable?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I might be alone in this but fuck do I ever miss Soul Coughing.
    I was getting ready to call you out on not mentioning them until I got to the video in your post (I saw it embed, of course, but didn't directly look at the title, I thought it was a full album upload). Unmarked Helicopters and Better Than Ezra's One More Murder from the movie OST were my traditional "post-night shift waiting for my train while watching the sun rise" tracks throughout last year's October and November. Can't get tired of them.

I'm kind of sad I never owned the album as a kid, but I still have a strong memory of seeing it in a second hand store once and finding the cover really creepy. Grays used to be the most terrifying thing in pop-culture before CGI got to them.
    Last edited by Microwave Jellyfish; 01-28-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I have it in my collection just for the Danzig track.

i did buy the Fight the future soundtrack as a kid and loved it

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Fox is no doubt pleased about the nice lift in viewership it got for the premiere of its revival of “The X-Files” Sunday night: With three extra days of viewing on DVR, VOD, and digital outlets factored in, the episode reached 21.4 million viewers total, and 9.9 million in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 age group. There’s no bad here, and Fox Television Group Co-Chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden and have given several indications they’d love to produce more of “The X-Files” in the future, assuming scheduling with creator Chris Carter and stars Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny can be worked out.

http://www.ibtimes.com/x-files-ratings-truth-out-there-season-2-closer-reality-dvr-viewing-bump-2286465

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Can anyone refresh my memory about what happened in I Want To Believe? What was the status of their relationship and their son when that film came out?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Can anyone refresh my memory about what happened in I Want To Believe? What was the status of their relationship and their son when that film came out?
    They were still together and living in a house in the country. As for their son, he was put up for adoption soon after he was born, IIRC. I'm watching the last 2 seasons now for the first time in years, so I may be wrong about William.