Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Jurassic Park

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Considering how surprisingly good the World reboot was in 2015 you'd think they wouldn't try bothering with another but then you realize if something is successful it will be milked. I have next to no interest in Fallen Kingdom and general consensus is that it is bad so I am not surprised. I'll stick with the miraculous World reboot and ignore the one out now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Personally I thought this was a lot better than Jurassic World, and my favourite of the sequels to date.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Despite my gripes with it I have to say that myself. Way more great moments than in the first one. That Treverov is returning has me very worried acutally... can't stand the guy.

And am I the only one who thinks that Howard got a terrible plastic surgeon inbetween those two movies? Good god...
    Last edited by dlb; 06-25-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    :Spoilers:

The budget for this movie was about 170 mil, and all the dinos being sold added up to almost that same amount. 5 million or whatever for a fucking dinosaur??? The screenplay is trash, there is no added depth to Owen...he is just there to be awesome and bad ass, the new characters are atrocious and annoying, and do not even get me started with the little girl bullshit. If her eye turned into a dino eye after that close up I was going to walk out. Unnecessary callbacks to the first film, Ian Malcolm always being right... It seems like a filler movie just to set up the next film.

I thought Jurassic World looked dumb and it proved me a bit wrong with enjoying that film a little bit more than I thought I would. Going into this film with no expectations and still coming out severely pissed and disappointed makes me even less excited for the next one. What a bomb.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I just realized... being born in the 80s / coming of age in the 90s... Jurassic Park is my Star Wars. It's also the better movie. The sequels and reboots sucked, though. Now if they'd make the novels into a mini series kinda thing... that would be awesome...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    pretty funny review
    -Louie

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    pretty funny review
    -Louie
    I have about 10 more minutes of that to watch, but that guy NAILS a lot of what makes this move garbage for me. People say "who cares, it was fun, that's what matters," but these writers...Guys, did the old movies happen, or not? Why do we have to sacrifice logic for funsies? Why should they get a free pass for bad writing just because "oh man at least that part was cool whoa lol." You can have humor that makes sense in-world. Events can happen that make sense in-world. You can actually have your big dinosaur chase and not have it make absolutely ZERO sense as to why it's happening.

AND IDGAF IF THIS COUNTS AS A SPOILER: WHY THE FLYING FUCK WOULD YOU TELL SOMEONE WHO IS DOING ILLEGAL SHIT "HEY. YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL. I WOULD CALL THE POLICE MYSELF, BUT YOU SHOULD CALL THE POLICE ON YOURSELF INSTEAD, EVIL SUIT MAN." Wait, what do you mean that didn't work?!?

For fuck's sake. That's like telling someone who broke into your house and killed your dog "hey buddy, call the cops on yourself RIGHT NOW, you jerk!" Fucking awful.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So yeah, I really enjoyed it. Key points:

• There are a couple of parts which hit straight in the feels.
    • Numerous setpieces are memorable, and the action's generally well done. There's not a lot of Spielbergian restraint and patience, but like Jurassic World it's edge-of-seat and naturally carries a lot of momentum. The film's pacing works really well.
    • What really makes this film work where JW didn't is how real and tangible the animals feel. Animatronics are back, and heavy use is made of them - these are creatures that can be touched and interacted with. I can't stress enough how much this makes you care about the animals, and it's really the heart of the film. Of course there's CGI too, and there's usually enough darkness or obstruction to keep the rendering on the right side of the uncanny valley, with plausible camera shots for the most part. (My pet peeve with CG is that directors tend to shoot angles that would risk destroying their equipment if the subject was physical.)
    • There's a sense of humour to the film as well as a heart, but usually not at the same time. The laughs usually came out of creative dispatching of cannon fodder characters, and the heart... Well, if you care at all about animals, you'll get it.
    • It has a bit of a message too, along those lines. Maybe a familiar one, but one that's worth making.
    • The new characters tend to be stereotypes, but Owen and Claire are a lot of fun, and I liked the other new protagonists too. The baddies are cardboard cutouts, but honestly? To me it felt plausible, and current. We're living in the world of Dieselgate, of nerve agents in heavily populated cities, of politicians sanctioning the destruction of ecosystems, of massive lobbying bodies spreading disinformation about climate change. There are plenty of real-world cardboard cutout villains who value financial or political profit over ethics, even over human life, and they've been making a lot of headlines recently.

Nitpicks? A few.

• I wish they hadn't given away so much in the trailers and promo material. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of stuff in the film that isn't online, but there was a regular sense of familiarity through the first hour in particular.
    • One movie trope that really needs to die is for predators to roar constantly. JW was deeply guilty of this, and with Fallen Kingdom it's getting pretty ridiculous. Question, folks: do you roar at your sandwich before trying to eat it? Spoiler: This goes double for the Indoraptor, which is a decent design with fantastic animation, and could actually have been pretty scary... if they'd kept it quiet.
    • Relating to that, the dubious grasp on science and animal behaviour that's increasingly dogged the sequels remains present. Spoiler: Such as that other worn-out movie trope, in which predators always want to eat/fight all the time, above all other priorities. Running from a volcano, but see something fleshy you might be able to bite? Well why not, stop and have a go, it only means a greatly higher likelihood of getting fried to death by steaming magma. On the subject of which, a pyroclastic flow travels at up to 700kmh, so Owen must be one hell of a runner. And possibly coated in asbestos.
    • The last one, which is particularly grating as a prehistory enthusiast... I've deliberately avoided saying the word "dinosaur" before now, because y'know, they kind of aren't. Jurassic Park introduced the world to the revolutionary new findings about dinosaurs, showing millions of people something they'd never seen before and creating a new generation of future scientists. There've been huge developments in the last 25 years too (or even the 17 since JP3), but not only did Jurassic World's makers have no interest in conveying it, they doubled down by explaining in-film that they aren't supposed to be convincing dinosaurs. In a dinosaur movie. Fallen Kingdom inherits these problems, which was to be expected I guess. And the new additions are less troublesome, to be fair, but it's still a real shame. One thing I will say is that I got used to it this time around, but not sure if that's a good thing...

As you can probably tell from that last point, I was kind of primed to hate this film. I've never loved any of the Jurassic sequels, particularly JW, despite the original film being a formative experience and still one of my favourites ever made.

And yet, I loved Fallen Kingdom. Made me sniffle a couple of times, made me laugh a couple of times too. It was really fun, one of the better blockbusters of the last few years for me.

So, my favourite Jurassic sequel. Easy 8/10.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    pretty funny review
    Amazing review! Dead on

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jurassic World is The Force Awakens while Fallen Kingdom is The Last Jedi of the Jurassic Park saga.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Jurassic World is The Force Awakens while Fallen Kingdom is The Last Jedi of the Jurassic Park saga.
    I'd say Jurassic World is half TLJ while Fallen Kingdom is full TLJ.

You never go full TLJ.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    One of the worst movies I've ever paid to see.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    another case of franchising because you have an IP the IP well is starting to run dry wonder where they will turn next which scares me.
    -louie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    • The last one, which is particularly grating as a prehistory enthusiast... I've deliberately avoided saying the word "dinosaur" before now, because y'know, they kind of aren't. Jurassic Park introduced the world to the revolutionary new findings about dinosaurs, showing millions of people something they'd never seen before and creating a new generation of future scientists. There've been huge developments in the last 25 years too (or even the 17 since JP3), but not only did Jurassic World's makers have no interest in conveying it, they doubled down by explaining in-film that they aren't supposed to be convincing dinosaurs. In a dinosaur movie. Fallen Kingdom inherits these problems, which was to be expected I guess. And the new additions are less troublesome, to be fair, but it's still a real shame. One thing I will say is that I got used to it this time around, but not sure if that's a good thing...
    They are just dumb monster movies. I still remember how the team of the first movie were bragging so much (and rightfully so, to a degree) because that was the first one with a strong emphasis on the dinosaur knowledge available at the time. Well, look at how it went.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday with zero expectation and throughly enjoyed it. Definitely more than JW1.

Felt a bit like a remake of The Lost World a bit though...

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    just got home from seeing it. the dinos & chris pratt ok. horrible script & bryce howard couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sam Neill, Laura Dern, & Jeff Goldblum return for JW3
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/sam-ne...orld-3-2551126

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Sam Neill, Laura Dern, & Jeff Goldblum return for JW3
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/sam-ne...orld-3-2551126
    That's pretty awesome, but I fear it may be too late for this franchise. The last movie (Fallen Kingdom) was so bad that this may just wind up being a jewel-encrusted turd (Neill, Dern, and Goldblum being the jewels). Still, I'm cautiously optimistic and excited for their return and this is literally the ONLY reason I might see this movie in theaters. If they weren't returning, I'd probably just rent it when it comes out on video.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yeah have to agree, i was SO disappointed by Fallen Kingdom (and this is from someone who really enjoyed Jurassic World) that i'm still not completely on-board yet, especially if they end up just being glorified cameo's like Ian in FK (he was in the trailer more then the fucking movie FFS!)

It might be great, but fuck me did FK kill my hype for dino's in movies...nobody should ever NOT be excited for dino's in movies!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Have to agree here. I'm not even a big fan of that short movie... there's plenty of dinosaur vs vehicle action in the movies itself and apart from the end credits and a cool Allosaurus design there was nothing shown that is exciting. For me Bryce Dallas Howard and Chris Pratt absolutely kill these movies, although I can usually enjoy the latter.

Still excited for the new movie, but the new franchise lost me pretty fast. Making a raptor (the most fierce antagonist in all three original movies) the hero and cramming as much dinosaurs in as possible with the most quirky action (the Mosasaurus as a prime example) derailed the initial idea of wonder and nature into totally unfathomable regions for me. These movies relate to the original movie as much as the over the top Mattel toys in the hands of a 6 year old instead of Steven Spielberg.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Have to agree here. I'm not even a big fan of that short movie... there's plenty of dinosaur vs vehicle action in the movies itself and apart from the end credits and a cool Allosaurus design there was nothing shown that is exciting. For me Bryce Dallas Howard and Chris Pratt absolutely kill these movies, although I can usually enjoy the latter.

Still excited for the new movie, but the new franchise lost me pretty fast. Making a raptor (the most fierce antagonist in all three original movies) the hero and cramming as much dinosaurs in as possible with the most quirky action (the Mosasaurus as a prime example) derailed the initial idea of wonder and nature into totally unfathomable regions for me. These movies relate to the original movie as much as the over the top Mattel toys in the hands of a 6 year old instead of Steven Spielberg.
    I sady must agree. Turning the raptor basically into a pet attack dog completely ruined any sense of tension at all. The only good part about Jurassic World was when it was just showing the new park, but it quickly turned into a crappy, mindless sci-fi action film. Fallen Kingdom was even worse. I've been fooled twice into seeing these movies in theaters only to leave asking myself, "Why do I let them fool me into believing they may deliver a good movie?" I will not be going to see the third one in theaters.

I vaguely remember reading some Jurassic Park script years ago where dinos got out into the world and climate change was decimating the world and becoming more suited for the dinos. It featured the original trio Alan, Ellie, and Ian. I can't remember if it was a scrapped script or some fan script, but this is starting feel like this script may sadly be coming to life. Please lord, just let it be some fan script and let me be wrong.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was generally very disappointed by Jurassic World. It was like the worst of the transformers movies but with dinosaurs. Mind numbing and senseless. But I actually thought Fallen Kingdom was much better, and while not amazing, a much better step in the right direction. So all the hate for Fallen Kingdom kind of confuses me a bit. It wasn't perfect but at least it was a lot more fun for me. Maybe it was lowered expectations but there just much cooler, more interesting sequences.

I will be very interested to see how they close it out with these three original excellent actors.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'd watch Sam Neill, Laura Dern and God -- I mean Jeff Goldblum in anything, anyway. And whatever this movie ends up being, I'm confident it will go down very well if I watch it while drinking a bottle of wine from Neill's vineyard.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    I was generally very disappointed by Jurassic World. It was like the worst of the transformers movies but with dinosaurs. Mind numbing and senseless. But I actually thought Fallen Kingdom was much better, and while not amazing, a much better step in the right direction. So all the hate for Fallen Kingdom kind of confuses me a bit. It wasn't perfect but at least it was a lot more fun for me. Maybe it was lowered expectations but there just much cooler, more interesting sequences.

I will be very interested to see how they close it out with these three original excellent actors.
    Maybe because it felt the freshest trope-wise? Lots of before unseen things. But as I pointed out like many have in the past, the first movies' brilliance is showing dinosaurs in such a unique way, by just letting them be animals instead of horror-movie monsters. There's wonder and admiration for these animals. And it's even present in the frigheting scenes. Apart from the T-Rex deus ex machina moment everything about the first movie feels very natural as much as it gets within a blockbuster. Even the Lost World could hold up unto that standard in some way, although it's a sequel by the numbers: bigger, more action, louder. But it caught the momentum of Jurassic Park rather well. Being amazed by these creatures. Number three had it's moment, but that ultimately was where the franchise derailed and keeps on getting more and more absurd for the sake of action.

Jurassic World might function as a Zeitgeist-piece as it plays with the time after the first one rather well. The premise is good and a hybrid is far fetched, yet utlimately fresh and actually done with a fairr share of decency. But watching JW and FK a couple of times makes them worse whereas the original pretty much hasn't aged too bad. There's a reason for the T-Rex and the raptors becoming true movie icons and that's because of imho Steven Spielberg's ability to catch playful and honest wonder, mystery and outlandish scenarios while still being rooted in the real world.

Well made dinosaurs on the big screen will always be a glory to behold, but the the new trilogy just falls ill with the fact that they totally go overboard with what is possible with special effects and CGI.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I just wish they'd use the Mosasaurus in more then just random scenes. By far the best part of FK was that intro scene, it was dark and tense and shot so beautifully and they used the Mosasaurus perfectly...then forgot the damn thing existed for the rest of the movie (and lost the vibe it had set as well!). THAT THING IS FUCKING SCARY, USE IT! I wanna know what that fucker has been doing since it got out!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The Mosasaurus scene in the beginning of JW and FK are cool, don't get me wrong, but yeah, use that animal and not just for over-the-top action like it eating the Pterosaurus and the babysitter and basically doing the same in the second movie. And don't get me going on it finishing the Inodminus Rex. That shit looks like a fucking video game. The CGI is actually pretty neat and detailed in that scene, but still looks goofy beyond anything.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    That Babysitter scene really bothered me. Like it was an escalation of bad things happening to someone we'd hardly seen in the movie, and what we had seen showed she didn't deserve ALL the things she went through. It's the kind of end you'd have expected of a villain. I remember sitting in the cinema thinking "how long are you going to drag out this death? If your going to kill her just get it over, she's had more screentime during her death then the whole rest of the movie!"

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Jurassic World: Dominion got pushed back a year to 2022. First teaser poster released:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I completely forgot about this movie until today.