I hate Lady Gaga as much as I do Lana Del Rey, do I get points? They both serve the same purpose within their respective communities. Gaga is marketed is a "different" pop star because she comes off as more eccentric, wears weird outfits, and takes every opportunity to tell us so. She's not different at all, her music is as bland and generic as a typical pop star, but a lot of people, including some on this board haven't seen through her smoke and mirrors bullshit.

Del Rey is being marketed almost the same exact way, sans the stupid outfits, to the indie community because she name dropped Kurt Cobain, and for some reason sites like Pitchfork, who are usually good at seeing past these types of artists, have decided to give her coverage based on God knows what. Based on anything that came out last year, she sucks, I'd rather take Beyonce over the two I've mentioned in this post. Lana and Gaga have done nothing to pop music based on their talents, people know Lady Gaga for her appearances as much as her shitty music, and for the time being Del Rey is known for her coverage in the scene rather than her music. Maybe in five years Del Rey will go into the bursted blog bubble along with Tapes N Tapes, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Hopefully in that time people will say "why the fuck did we like Lady Gaga? This is ridiculous!".