Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lana Del Rey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lana Del Rey

so she's been labeled over and over again as divisive (and "gangsta Sinatra"). i personally ignored her for a while and whenever i gave her music a try it just felt kind of meh. until a few day ago when i caught myself singing her Born to Die song in my head. so i listened to the few songs that are out there and the tons of remixes that keep coming out, and at this point i find LDR's music irresistibly catchy. full length coming out Jan 31

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...O1OV5B_JDw</a>

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...t-I-Lqy06g</a>
    Last edited by konstantin; 01-13-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i love her and i like the hype around it. its kind of funny that people are not accepting her because she might have fake lips. who the fuck cares? really. derivative? yes. nothing really new? yes. but most of pop music today is really garbage. she is doing her best in the sphere of pop music.

i don't know why everybody like and adore lady gaga - musically she is a total duplicate of maddona and her music, despite her talent, sux. she could be doing something really special, but the sold her soul. but thats another story.

lana del rey is kind of cheesy wicked-gamesque pop singer with a really good voice.

but... you hate it or you love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i hear you. what's supposed to be catchy pop music like Gaga, Rihanna and Britney for some reason just doesn't work for me. LDR's cheesy but sultry pop somehow clicked.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I don't like her simply because I think her music is overly boring and I don't think she earned or worked for her career at all. She pretty much just made one song, and then hired a good manager, because she's seemingly already loaded with cash, and created a TON of self hype. Next thing you know she's on SNL, and doesn't even have an album out. There are far more deserving bands who've been hard at work for years that deserve the level of exposure that SNL gives.

It's just my opinion though, but there is absolutely nothing special about her, and she's just an undeserving flavor of the week.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I don't like her simply because I think her music is overly boring and I don't think she earned or worked for her career at all. She pretty much just made one song, and then hired a good manager, because she's seemingly already loaded with cash, and created a TON of self hype. Next thing you know she's on SNL, and doesn't even have an album out. There are far more deserving bands who've been hard at work for years that deserve the level of exposure that SNL gives.

It's just my opinion though, but there is absolutely nothing special about her, and she's just an undeserving flavor of the week.
    I pretty much agree with all of this. I don't see too much special or distinctive about her voice and I thought "Video Games" was just a boring song. She has money at her disposal and is lucky enough to have hired some good people around her but that's about the extent of it. As for SNL, they had Jessie J on last year and that didn't really help her, her album ended up tanking stateside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i don't want to defend her in any way because like i said i didn't care about her until this week and it's likely i won't care about her next week. right now i'm just enjoying her music as objectively as possible. she's nowhere near a larger than life type pop star and obviously it takes a lot more than hiring a manager and blowing lots of money.

also i can see how many find her music boring, but i've been into smokey cinematic trip hop ever since Portishead entered the music scene back in the early 90's.

there's also the Off to the Races song, which instantly reminded me of Smoke City's Underwater Love:

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...Uz3fLncTTs</a>
    Last edited by konstantin; 01-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like that Video Games song. It's very simple but pretty and memorable. I am aware that there is some controversy with her lips, but it sounds ridiculous so I don't care.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to this hipster darling album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My girlfriend likes her a lot. I don't care much for her to be honest. Whatever.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I feel kind of lucky. My girlfriend also thinks she's super boring, and she usually likes stuff like that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong, I'd bang Lana Del Ray, but that SNL performance was one of the worst I've seen, and this is the same show that has had Kelly Clarkson (I'd bang her too, even though she has a gut), Marron 5, Foster the People and Lady Antebellum (would bang that chick in the band too). Though Foster the People were probably worse, their popularity has puzzled me as much as Lana.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sitting here working, changed the channel and passed upon SNL while she was singing. Holyyyyyy shit was that terrible. She deserves the straight PASTING she's taking on Twitter. JUST like richardp said, there are a pantload of artists who deserve it way more than her. My opinion of course, but god damn.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    so nobody's mentioned how she was outed for being a manufactured push from a major label to sell a faux indie aesthetic? I thought that was at least interesting.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Her performance really was fucking awful. Half the time, it sounded like she was singing out of key and couldn't make up her mind about how she wanted her voice to sound.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Sitting here working, changed the channel and passed upon SNL while she was singing. Holyyyyyy shit was that terrible. She deserves the straight PASTING she's taking on Twitter. JUST like richardp said, there are a pantload of artists who deserve it way more than her. My opinion of course, but god damn.
    You used the terms "pasting" and "pantload", I've never told you this personally, but you just might be my favorite poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    so nobody's mentioned how she was outed for being a manufactured push from a major label to sell a faux indie aesthetic? I thought that was at least interesting.
    That's Jimmy Iovine for you! He's going to milk this indie darling until she starts getting lukewarm reviews from Pitchfork, Brooklyn Vegan, Sterogum, etc., kind of like how we were made to hink Mumford and Sons were the next best thing to Fleet Foxes.
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 01-15-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I tried to watch it. I was like, "is this the girl everyone is talking about?" I found it to be boring.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne
    He's going to milk this indie darling until she starts getting lukewarm reviews from Pitchfork
    I was just thinking that earlier while watching SNL. Pitchfork has consistently been hyping her up so much the past few months, but I bet when they review her actual album it's going to get like a 6.2 or something. Which will kind of prove how much her publicity team is paying all these websites to hype her boring ass jams.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I heard "Video Games" on the radio about a month ago, it reminded me why I don't listen to the radio. To be honest, she sounds like a robotic Stevie Nicks to me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i'd put it in her butt, but that's where this ENDS.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I actually do enjoy what is being played on the radio from time to time and I want to give her record a chance, but hearing this live? Sweet Jesus, what a stinking pile of crap and she's hard to look at, too.

Anyone gave her pre-lipjob stuff a listen?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

AHAHAHA

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    God, I can almost picture everyone in the crowd and all the SNL cast members just standing off camera massivly cringing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Ooh, I'd really like to read more about this! If you have any good articles, please share.

I think my first exposure to this girl was her performance on Later with Jools Holland, which I didn't find good or bad, but completely forgettable. I listened to a remix I liked, then heard "Born to Die" which I thought was enjoyable. The SNL performances are pretty eh to pretty bad. Like you guys have mentioned, it's a little sickening that she's already made it to that level of exposure - reminds me of Ashlee Simpson, which is a very bad thing. Yes to the banging, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    for me all of the performances on SNL sucked big time. I was most disappointed with Radioheads - everyone said it was great, it was not. thom didn't sing really well and was off tune... I'm a big fan of theirs, but the SNL performance was horrible. but I'm not saying that her's rocked. it sucked.

I still don't get it why people dislike her. What did Lady Gaga was brilliant? she sucked big time and everyone was so into her. even on echoing the sound... the last album sucked. the production was horrible. so where's the catch? i don't see it. at least Lana can only stand and sing and does more than Lady Gaga with all the funny-weird-lookings outfits that went to ridiculous extent. what about Rihanna, Nicki Minaj and all the girls of the popular culture. Lana is not alternative. she is a production of our culture and a counter-invention to what Lady Gaga was.

of course there are greater bands that needs to be exposed etc. but do you really want to expose something like o f f love or the caretaker to the major public? some music is not meant for masses and some is. I'm not saying that Lana is oh so fucking great. Im just saying that if i look only the pop scene of last years she is finally something worth listening.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I hate Lady Gaga as much as I do Lana Del Rey, do I get points? They both serve the same purpose within their respective communities. Gaga is marketed is a "different" pop star because she comes off as more eccentric, wears weird outfits, and takes every opportunity to tell us so. She's not different at all, her music is as bland and generic as a typical pop star, but a lot of people, including some on this board haven't seen through her smoke and mirrors bullshit.

Del Rey is being marketed almost the same exact way, sans the stupid outfits, to the indie community because she name dropped Kurt Cobain, and for some reason sites like Pitchfork, who are usually good at seeing past these types of artists, have decided to give her coverage based on God knows what. Based on anything that came out last year, she sucks, I'd rather take Beyonce over the two I've mentioned in this post. Lana and Gaga have done nothing to pop music based on their talents, people know Lady Gaga for her appearances as much as her shitty music, and for the time being Del Rey is known for her coverage in the scene rather than her music. Maybe in five years Del Rey will go into the bursted blog bubble along with Tapes N Tapes, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Hopefully in that time people will say "why the fuck did we like Lady Gaga? This is ridiculous!".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm someone who doesn't like standard pop-by-the-numbers divas, but I've really liked Del Rey so far. I don't care what her lips look like. I don't give a fuck what any reviews say, good or bad. And yeah, her SNL performance felt off and not that great. But I find her songs somewhat evocative and moving... looking forward to hearing a full album.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Brian Williams agrees with the haters:
    http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45122-...-del-rey-hard/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    God, Brian Williams is so fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Make sure you check out her set at SXSW.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Make sure you check out her set at SXSW.
    Fuck that! You know how I feel about SXSW! I'd go, but only if Lana invites me back to her hotel SCHWING!