Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I generally only troll a couple friends on game days, but they're Vikings fans.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I still think Mark Zuckerberg being caught calling Facebook users dumb fucks was one of the most unsettling and awkward things he said.

With that being said, I could actually see and agree that there are a lot of bad things that just can't be solely blamed on Facebook, since nobody twists anybody's arms *Or at least I'd hope not. * to post volatile, shameful, irritating, incriminating, and instigative status posts.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    people gonna be people! lol

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    My thoughts exactly. Technology just like any other tool is on the user's abilities/decisions, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I still think Mark Zuckerberg being caught calling Facebook users dumb fucks was one of the most unsettling and awkward things he said.

With that being said, I could actually see and agree that there are a lot of bad things that just can't be solely blamed on Facebook, since nobody twists anybody's arms *Or at least I'd hope not. * to post volatile, shameful, irritating, incriminating, and instigative status posts.
    When are where did this happen? What was the context?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It actually happened with in late 2003 or early 2004 via IM because people were sending him E-mail addresses, pictures, home addresses and SNs. Which I could see as foolish too. And even if Facebook was not what it is today back then, I still found it to be very unsettling and awkward. Here are some of the URLs I came across when I searched for it on Google.

http://gawker.com/5636765/facebook-c...ers-dumb-fucks

http://www.businessinsider.com/well-...roblems-2010-5

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-17-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

privacy

A large chunk of people don't seem to care about protecting their data online, but would up in arms if it was abused, I guess his amazement was at how easily it could be abused - unfortunately people don't like being called dumb no matter how true it is (its why packets of peanuts contain "warning contains nuts" on the packet).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Right. Hence why I generally only post anything online that I don't think I would stand behind, no matter the "alias." Maybe that's just my pre-internet brain at work.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pre-internet brain? It could be pre-social-networking brain. Prior to the rise of social networking, many people would have an online persona and an offline one. They could spend time in forums etc under a pseudonym and say what they wanted. People would express views they wouldn't admit to IRL. Various post-911 measures have made internet anonymity harder, though most people might not realise and believe anonymity is real, yet its social networking that has changed it by making people use their actual identity. Look how many sites utilise facebook authorisation. You do hear of the odd case (like the cyberbulling news story around a month ago) where users can be anonymous because the site doesn't keep logs, but this is far from the norm.

People still say things online they wouldn't in-person because using a screen and keyboard gives them some distance, even if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm old, so yes pre-internet, that and I grew up in a very insular town where telling even one person you heard a rumor eventually leads back to you as being the originator. That and I've always had a big mouth that consistently gets me in trouble. This is not to say I disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    I'm old, so yes pre-internet, that and I grew up in a very insular town where telling even one person you heard a rumor eventually leads back to you as being the originator. That and I've always had a big mouth that consistently gets me in trouble. This is not to say I disagree.
    Do you mean pre-internet or pre-web? Many people think they are the same thing. I was using email and text newsgroups at Uni in the late 80's, that's pre-web but not pre-internet.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Web I guess. I suppose you're right my buddy had bbs going back in middle school. I was pretty out of it yesterday.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I just knew I'd end up back in this thread again. Anyway, if you're still on Facebook, this is the Nine Inch Nails group to join. I've also promoted ETS and The NIN Hotline there before.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209586182/

Oh, and speaking of The NIN Hotline, here it is on Facebook in case any of you have missed it.

https://www.facebook.com/ninhotline
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-20-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    FB have fucked with the feed again. Now I get a ton of old stories, reshown to me because someone, usually the OP, commented. No: I didn't care the first time, why do I have to see the story again?
    Also, I hate having no control as to whether my "likes" are transformed into posts.
    Fuck that. Let the two be separate.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm starting to wonder if Facebook has ever had an update that was, overall, a good thing. I'm struggling to remember any.

Walls and interest pages still virtually illegible, by the way. It's reminding me of when Myspace started to become dominated by ridiculously overcolourful page themes. At least that was the page owner's choice...

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I kinda like the design update they just made with new icons and the feed posts are boxy.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I wish we could remove the trending box. I don't give two flying shits what's "trending."

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    To my surprise, Facebook is actually still my favorite social networking site in spite of it's controversies, and in spite of some negative experiences with it. I've mostly gone there to lurk on pages, or play some Facebook games these days, as I still take some hiatuses from it. I also wished I learned that it's sometimes better to post your own findings and interests, or start your own conversations on your own wall a whole lot earlier. It's an unwritten rule that's also supposed to be common sense, but from what I've noticed, that's almost tantamount to making the wrongs posts in the wrong threads or sections of a forum, and that's also depending on who's comfortable and okay with you sharing stuff on their wall, as some people love sharing videos and pictures, while some people aren't even into pictures, videos, pages, and games at all. Some, or even lots of people would rather not have you start conversations or ask questions on their walls even if they allowed people to post on it. (This is also true once you got even just a little bit beyond small talk.) I also like being able to have stuff in general becoming promoted on Facebook pages as well.

Although, at some point, it would also be better to only allow yourself to post your own stuff on your wall if you don't want it to become disrupted. Interestingly enough, Facebook got it right for their groups though, as it allows posts to become bumped or pinned. If only they'd allow people to do that on their actual profiles. I have yet to see that happen, but at least they've thankfully granted some permissions as far as editing posts went. It would also be nice if you could edit private messages as well.

(Some forums could actually do that, and some features from either type of community match, so I could see/imagine that becoming feasible in some random part of the future.)

I also still miss the option to turn off private messaging altogether, as I still found it to be a lot better that way.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 06-23-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    When I post something and it gets no likes or comments, I am ashamed.
    I know it's stupid, algorithms yadda yadda yadda, but still.
    Also, when I post on a thread, and other posts get likes from the OP, but mine doesn't, I am also ashamed.
    I hate this "like" system. My new approach is to like all responses to my posts, just because.

I live for the Red Notification. What can I say?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I live for the Red Notification. What can I say?
    You're a homosexual.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Oh how I love facebook... Seriously can't go without it for more than a few hours. I know it's horrible, but it is what it is.

My friends are scattered all over Australia/the world so it's a pretty good way to keep up with what's going on with everyone.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I hate FB.... but I can't go without for a few hours. I need a life.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    You're a homosexual.
    Haha how did that not get facepalmed? Is that like black people being able to call each other niggas?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Haha how did that not get facepalmed? Is that like black people being able to call each other niggas?
    Cuz aggroculture and I be tight, yo. Tight in each other's buttholes.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This is yet another random observation of Facebook, but I've also noticed that a lot more people seem to use smartphones instead of PCs and laptops. I've also seen that happen on message boards, but not as much, and it's sometimes hard to have somebody keep up with you when they're using a smartphone and you're using a PC or laptop. At first, I also didn't realize that the private messaging functions simultaneously as an E-mail and an instant messaging service. They seemed to be separate back in 2008-2010 though.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It still seems that most people I know in real life are on Facebook, and it still seems to be as personal and as real as it gets on the Internet. I can't say that I ever stopped liking it though, even if I took numerous breaks from it, as there are still some pages and games I like the frequent whenever I'm in the mood to do so. The only problem that hasn't changed is sometimes not knowing who to add, but it's also not that big of a problem.

Facebook and Twitter also still seem to be my top 2 sites to visit as far as social media goes these days. I think that's also about it from me about Facebook as of now, as this thought just occurred to me again, and I somehow missed posting it the last few times I've posted in this thread.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Deleted FB more than a year ago, still going strong.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'm friends with at least 4 ETS members on FB. FB is the primary location that I share stuff with friends and family about random shit I am doing in life or things I find interesting (which is usually something nobody else likes).
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 09-06-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Some of you may be interested in:

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=h_chr
    (facebook sorted by date, not by "interesting/popular")

https://www.facebook.com/feed/missed_stories
    All the stuff that facebook decided to filter out of your feed. Im sure there may still be some things facebook won't even show you here, but I haven't figured that out.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 09-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I am dreading being told I have to dl messenger or I don't get to read my messages.