Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27

Thread: The Transgender Thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    University 'blocks transgender research'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41384473
    Difficult situation. While I approve of this research in terms of enlightenment of the public, the probability that it is going to be biased (towards whichever side) or misused to promote hate and discrimination is insanely high. Also, the general public often seems to misunderstand how reliable the results of a single scientific study are (see anti-vaxxers), even more if this would only have been part of a short Master's thesis. Best would be to have at least ten independent studies of experienced researchers in different countries running at the same time, without information exchange, publishing all the results together (managed by an additional independent party, of course).

I hope the university will make an extensive public statement, otherwise things could backlash in a bad way.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Finally got my new state ID in the mail today with my new legally changed name (and gender marker, but that I've actually had for a while since it's a much easier process in NY than the full name change).
    Just waitin on the new SS card and birth certificate to show up.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Someone finally put it into words.

http://www.newnownext.com/sometimes-...nster/03/2017/

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.e548da156f49

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Also, a black trans woman was elected to Minneapolis's city council

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Happy birthday, enjoy an evening and night full of your family dead-naming you even though you spent hundreds of dollars and all year to have your name legally changed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    ^^UGGGGHHHH.

I wish people like that could actually experience what it feels like to be dead named. If they only knew how absolutely horrible it feels and what a terrible thing it is that they're doing.

It's been almost a year since I cut my stepdad out of my life for this very reason. He got to spend last Thanksgiving and Christmas alone while the rest of the family hung out because both me and my brother want nothing to do with him. He thought he could be blatantly transphobic to me and refuse to use my name and correct pronouns and I would just ignore it. He found out the hard way that there are consequences to that.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're going through that. *hugs* That's absolutely awful, and not the way anyone should have to spend their birthday, or any day, for that matter.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Just gonna leave this here:

BERLIN — Germany must create a third gender category for people who do not identify as either male or female or were born with ambiguous sexual traits, the country’s constitutional court ruled on Wednesday, finding that binary gender designations violated the right to privacy. [...]

The ruling arrives as society, medicine and law increasingly recognize the ways in which gender is socially constructed and not necessarily fixed or stable. [...]

“The assignment to a gender is of paramount importance for individual identity; it typically occupies a key position both in the self-image of a person and how the person is perceived by others,” the court found. “It also protects the sexual identity of those persons who are neither male nor female.”[...]
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/08/w...ory-vanja.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Really nice to see the constitutional court supporting this. I hope this will set an example for the rest of Europe and the world.

And I also hope that Merkel et al. won't be postponing their decision to change the law like they have been doing with the transgender law. There is actually a statement from 2011 where they say that they will present a new transgender law before the current legislative term ends. Which it did in 2013 and nothing had happened. Now another term has passed and still nothing. Even though the current law is a total mess, since most of the 1980 legal text has been declared as violating the constitution by the constitutional court. This includes 1 out of 3 requirements for a name change and all three additional requirements for change of the gender marker (these used to be: unmarried, sterilized, completed GRS).

The current law still insists on a process that can take more than a year and requires two psychological reports which are positive in 99% of all cases and cost you 800 to 3000€. I just got the final decision a few weeks ago and can now finally change my name and gender marker in everything, but this was only possible because I had a spare 1000€. If you don't have this: Sucks to be you.

The Green party had a draft for a new law based on the right to gender self-determination in their election program and since they are probably going to be a ruling party soon, I hope they will be confident enough to kick the Christian democrats' asses and enforce a new law.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)