Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Too late, started on XII and now I picked up XV on PC. I will find time...SOMEHOW.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The original PS1 version of FFTactics is the best I've been told, but I've never been too into that sort of isometric strategic combat... I keep meaning to give it a chance. It's supposed to have one of the best stories too.
    The story might be great, but the narrative or way its told was difficult for me to follow and get invested in. After playing hundreds of hours of Tactics I still couldn’t tell you the names of the main characters or antagonists. It was almost purely the challenge of the strategic combat system that kept me coming back to Tactics. Pretty much the opposite of FFVII which felt too easy in combat often times (due to enemies not scaling and some op materia combos), but the story and narrative always keeps me engaged.

Started replaying FFVII recently. Anyone around here get much into any of the mods? New Threat mod looks like it might be a good one.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Started replaying FFVII recently. Anyone around here get much into any of the mods? New Threat mod looks like it might be a good one.
    I heard the graphics upgrade mod, called Tifa's Mod or something, is supposed to make the game look great. I don't play games on a PC though, so I can only gauge through screen shots.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    For anyone interested, fans are making a FFVII remaster mod using A.I. GIGAPIXEL.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Finally joining final fantasy conversation. I played VII back in the day (it was the reason I mowed yards for a year to buy a PS1), but then fell off completely. Never played 8,9, 10 I played a little when I bought a used PS2, but lost interest during the Blitzball section and never picked it back up. Never played another, but loved the 3D remakes of the older games on the DS.

SO, now I do almost all my gaming on the Nintendo Switch, and picked up 9, and 12 just arrived from preorder. Question: Which should I play first, 9 or 12? My gut says 9, but just curious.

I also still need to finish Octopath Traveler. I've really loved that game, and feels so much like the classic 16bit era RPGs.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    9 and 12 are very different games. I dunno, I like 12 more for the world and mechanics, but 9 is more conventional and instantly endearing, and the dungeons aren’t annoying like 12’s.

Just watched the new trailer for the 7 remake and I think it looks amazing

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've had my eye on Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age since it hit Xbox last month. I don't wanna spend $50.00 on it though.

That steel book for the PS4 Collector's Edition looks beautiful though.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

SO, now I do almost all my gaming on the Nintendo Switch, and picked up 9, and 12 just arrived from preorder. Question: Which should I play first, 9 or 12? My gut says 9, but just curious.
    9 is much more accessible in my opinion. I grew up playing all of these games as they released, with 7 being my favorite. 12 is such an underrated addition to the series and was almost forgotten at times due to the awkward release it had at the end of the PS2's life cycle. I rememeber the illusion maze making me want to quit the game all together, rage quitting numerous times.

Those are really good choices, but 6 is also a great entry as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    9 is much more accessible in my opinion. I grew up playing all of these games as they released, with 7 being my favorite. 12 is such an underrated addition to the series and was almost forgotten at times due to the awkward release it had at the end of the PS2's life cycle. I rememeber the illusion maze making me want to quit the game all together, rage quitting numerous times.

Thanks. Yes I've been a Final Fantasy fan since the SNES days, and 6 is actually one of my favorite games of all time, having had at least 2-3 100+ hour playthroughs. I just fell off after 7 and am trying to catch up little by little. Here's my experience with the games:

FFI: Played back in the day, but was too young and too hard, replayed it all the way through on GBA 'Dawn of Souls' version, loved it.
    FFII: Played for first time in the GBA 'Dawn of Souls' version, loved it tho a little different
    FFIII: Only played the 3D version on DS. Played up until final boss, got creamed, read that I had to have certain party config and jobs that would takes dozes of hours more grinding, put it down and never played again, content I had done most of it.
    FFIV: played on SNES back in the day but never finished, played 3D version on DS LOVED IT.
    FFV: Played GBA version, enjoyed it but never completed
    FFVI: Played on SNES, GBA, SNES classic, all-time favorite
    FFVII: Played on OG PlayStation when released, haven't played since
    FFVIII: Never played
    FFIX: Never played, just started on Switch
    FFX: Played a little on PS2, life got busy and never returned
    FFX-2: Never played
    FFXI: Never played
    FFXII: Never played
    FFXIII: Played for ~5 hours when released, got bored, never picked up again, never touched the sequels
    FFXIV: Never played, still want to, hoping for XBOX One or Switch release
    FFXV: Never played, sitting on shelf, will play one day, haha

When you're an adult with a full-time job and a toddler, finding game time is hard. But I played Octopath for ~110 hours b/w release and last week and am ready to move on to a new game. 9 seems fun and traditional FF so far, looking forward to diving deeper.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post

That fucking maze... it strangely highlights a development in the internet though... the walkthrough for that is now available in a billion documents all competing to make it the easiest it can possibly be for you... and that wasn't really there at all when the game came out, for years, despite how prevalent the internet was in everyone's home.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    When you're an adult with a full-time job and a toddler, finding game time is hard. But I played Octopath for ~110 hours b/w release and last week and am ready to move on to a new game. 9 seems fun and traditional FF so far, looking forward to diving deeper.
    Hah! I hear ya. VI seems to be an all-time favorite for most, and it is well deserved. Even the ones I was not too fond of, that being III, X, XI was garbage at its release, and XIII was a linear disappointment. Time is what holds me back as well, only getting a few hours over the weekend. XV is pretty good, but still a huge departure for me in the series. I want a time based FF game again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai
    That fucking maze... it strangely highlights a development in the internet though... the walkthrough for that is now available in a billion documents all competing to make it the easiest it can possibly be for you... and that wasn't really there at all when the game came out, for years, despite how prevalent the internet was in everyone's home.

Fucking hell... I literally gave up on the game for a good year because I could not complete it at the time with the PS3 right around the corner along with the other games I was into. I have been periodically playing Zodiac Age, so when I get to that part again, I am going for it again with no help lol.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I've always had a soft spot for 13. Yeah, it's very linear (So was X). Other things made up for it imo. Gameplay is extremely fun. Most of the characters are pretty cool. Loved the world(s) and story too. Feels like a legit final fantasy compared to 15.

My favorite might be 9. 7 and 8 right behind it. 6 is definitely a classic and in my top 5 for sure.

Absolutely hate 12. Can't get into it. Zodiac Age only made it worse imo (restrictive license board). 3 is pretty weak and kind of a step back from what they did in 2.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    FF13 is an incredibly underrated game, and its combat system wasn't given the love it deserved at all. If you go for the platinum in that game, you have to master that combat system, and it's pretty incredible. The game in general was better than people made it out to be, but I think a lot of people didn't really play the game through.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    FF13 is an incredibly underrated game, and its combat system wasn't given the love it deserved at all. If you go for the platinum in that game, you have to master that combat system, and it's pretty incredible. The game in general was better than people made it out to be, but I think a lot of people didn't really play the game through.
    Most complaints I hear is that "it's too linear" which to me isn't a bad thing?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It's not in concept, but the fatal mistake was that they held your hand for far too long than was reasonable, and while that's a reasonable criticism, the game was actually really good.

It just had a ten hour tutorial.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    All that really matters to me in a final fantasy: Are the characters good? Story?

While it's very linear, it checks all the boxes for me. A lot of people tend to overlook X, which is very linear as well up to a point. Not many people acknowledge that for some reason.

13 is a good game. Hell, I even like 13-2. Lightning Returns, not so much...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I didn't feel immersed in the world at all. It was jarring compared to what we have received in the past. The battle system I did enjoy a lot, however, the farming you had to go through just to get characters ultimate weapons was ridiculous. The drop rate of a Trapezohedron or whatever was amazingly difficult to get.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii...020-1835363445

So.. March 3, 2020 for the FF7 remake finally, eh? I finally gave up a few months ago and canceled my Amazon pre-order lmao

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post

So.. March 3, 2020 for the FF7 remake finally, eh? I finally gave up a few months ago and canceled my Amazon pre-order lmao
    I still don't think i believe that's the real date lol

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Real date, or Not, I wonder how much this game covers. Assuming it's still episodic. They've been very careful on only showing very early sections of the game. Only there's more than just midgar.

I'd like to finish all of the remake in my lifetime.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post

No way... Ok, I am excited. I'm getting a pass to E3 tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a chance to see it if it's on the show floor?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Real date, or Not, I wonder how much this game covers. Assuming it's still episodic. They've been very careful on only showing very early sections of the game. Only there's more than just midgar.

I'd like to finish all of the remake in my lifetime.
    I made a YouTube comment about it being episodic on the release trailer last night, and I have people just calling me out and bitching at me for being a loser and not knowing what I am talking about. Ahh... good old cesspool of the internet. reminds me why I don't comment on YT again. I'll stick to writing here on ETS from now on.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    to be fair though, details have been scant about the release nature. The initial announcement that it would be episodic caused a huge uproar of disappointment...

Then the game disappeared for a long time, and now has a reasonably distant release window, and the whole "it's episodic" aspect hasn't been talked about. I think if they were going to stick to the episodic format, we'd already have a couple episodes at this point.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Hope you're right, because having it released in different episodes was RIDICULOUS.

I don't even have a PS4... I guess if anything makes me buy one, it'll be this game.
    But I hope to hell this isn't one of those cases where it comes to PS4 first and then 6 months to a year later gets ported to the other systems, because I will feel cheated if I buy a PS4 just for 1 game and then it gets ported later.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Hope you're right, because having it released in different episodes was RIDICULOUS.

I don't even have a PS4... I guess if anything makes me buy one, it'll be this game.
    But I hope to hell this isn't one of those cases where it comes to PS4 first and then 6 months to a year later gets ported to the other systems, because I will feel cheated if I buy a PS4 just for 1 game and then it gets ported later.
    It's a timed exclusive to PS4... but really, if you like games, and you haven't played Bloodborne...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Two blu-rays worth of material is absolutely crazy. Remake is looking great so far.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    FFVII looked incredible... did he say that it was "part 1?" I need to watch it again.

Interested in the FFVIII HD remaster.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    FFVII looked incredible... did he say that it was "part 1?" I need to watch it again.

Interested in the FFVIII HD remaster.
    Yeah that Remake looks fucking cool. And yes Jinsai, it is Part 1 which consists only of Midgar (2 Blu-rays).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Final Fantasy VIII is getting the remaster treatment.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/1...intendo-switch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Yeah that Remake looks fucking cool. And yes Jinsai, it is Part 1 which consists only of Midgar (2 Blu-rays).

I just saw that on the description page: "The first entry in a multi-part saga, delivering a level of depth inconceivable for the original. Mind-blowing story, unforgettable characters, epic battles and technical excellence collide."

So...then it IS episodic? Like there's going to be FFVII Remake Part 2, 3, etc? or the rest will be DLC, or...? I guess I'm confused as to what this means, exactly. Anybody read any interviews or more in-depth details of how the whole thing is going to roll out?