Thread: Final Fantasy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.
    So when you guys talk about it not having aged well, are you talking graphics?

Also, has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (or advenceD, whatever it is.)

I think I have that one on the old emulator

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So when you guys talk about it not having aged well, are you talking graphics?
    To this day I adore everything about the game because of nostalgia, but objectively yes, by today’s standards the character model graphics are very dated, the prerendered environmental backgrounds are still fine. By today’s standards, I’d guess many people would find the battle system antiquated and a chore to get through. And the game is fairly linear both in map progression and narrative, with only a few side quest options. No voice acting, and some very long battle animations, especially for summons. Maybe too many interchangeable characters that are underdeveloped.

Also, has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (or advenceD, whatever it is.)

I think I have that one on the old emulator
    I only had the PS FF Tactics. Probably also pretty easy to find on an emulator.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    To this day I adore everything about the game because of nostalgia, but objectively yes, by today’s standards the character model graphics are very dated, the prerendered environmental backgrounds are still fine. By today’s standards, I’d guess many people would find the battle system antiquated and a chore to get through. And the game is fairly linear both in map progression and narrative, with only a few side quest options. No voice acting, and some very long battle animations, especially for summons. Maybe too many interchangeable characters that are underdeveloped.
    This is why I'm SO happy that I DIDN'T keep up with video games.
    The last console I really got into was the N64, so today's standards don't mean anything to me, you know?
    This means I was able to buy a PS3 with 2 controllers and the big hard drive for like $90 either last year or the year before and have it be a stunning quantum leap forward.
    And I got most of the best games for under $10 each, and I am utterly blown away by the graphics of a lot of them. Hell, I'm still very impressed with Wii graphics!

As far as the battle system, I still play Chrono Trigger and FF 4 and 6, and I fucking love the battle systems on those games. Is the FF7 system fairly similar?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    As far as the battle system, I still play Chrono Trigger and FF 4 and 6, and I fucking love the battle systems on those games. Is the FF7 system fairly similar?
    The materia (materia being essentially congealed magic that can slot into armor or weapons enabling the bearer to use the magic) system adds some strategy and customizability to the characters, but yeah, if you’ve played the aforementioned games, it shouldn’t take long before the combat system feels familiar. Look at the screenshot, pretty self explanatory…

Off topic, but The Legend of Dragoon was a pretty good RPG from its respective era. Stacks up well with the stuff coming from Square at that time.