Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Refused are not fucking dead!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Listened to Freedom again while mowing the yard yesterday. That album grows on me with every listen and I think it got unduly weighed down by unobtainable expectations at the time of its release that made everyone go "meh" because it didn't blow our minds like Shape, but it's a damn fine album. Elektra and Dawkins Christ make me headbang like crazy. You see a goober mowing his yard pumping his fist, that's me mowing to Refused.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    And the single drops on 2nd of August!

Really excited as Dennis said the album is super radical!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    i am ready

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Freedom is one of the most underrated comeback albums for me. Very similar to their older stuff but still really fresh and experimental. Stoked for this one.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Haven't had a chance yet to actually watch/listen to it though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Listened to "Blood Red" a couple times now. I like it, but I don't love it. Feels very similar to sound of Freedom album. Lyrics are definitely more direct and confrontational than Freedom though.

Don't get me wrong, it's all gravy and I will enjoy it all, but to me it suffers from the same thing that latter day At The Drive-In and Pixies do--they're stuck in (mostly) a single gear/speed and the dynamics that made the band so compelling in the first place are missing.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theSplinter04 View Post
    Freedom is one of the most underrated comeback albums for me.
    It seems like a lot of people either love or hate Freedom with not much in between. (I am firmly in the LOVE IT camp)

As for the new single...overall I like it but I think I'll like it even more within the context of the album.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Freedom is great. Still listen to it

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post

Nice QS poster!...I was at one of those shows and have that same print.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Nice QS poster!...I was at one of those shows and have that same print.
    Thanks. Saw them again last year and they were great still. Trying to catch YoT in November.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Thanks. Saw them again last year and they were great still. Trying to catch YoT in November.
    Yeah they still sound great as a three-piece. I saw them at Irving in 2017 and again a few weeks ago at a tiny place in NJ. Always a good show.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Oh FUCK yes! This owns.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    War Music is yet another great effort from start to finish

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah this album is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It took me two or three listens to let it sink in, but now I'm getting the groove. Fine album indeed.

I also checked out the video for REV001 today, which is really awesome and much more of a "real" music video than I expected, compared to the other recent clips.

Also took the time to listen to Freedom again and it's much better than I had it in memory. I guess that one took some years on me to truly sink in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After I had some time to digest, I'd put the albums in this order:

1) The Shape of Punk to Come
    2) Freedom
    3) War Music
    4) Songs to Fan the Flame of Discontent
    5) This Just Might Be the Truth [I don't know this one so well, so it could still rate higher]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry for the triple post, but...

Dennis Lyxzén has a new band called Fake Names. Also involved is Brian Baker of Minor Threat/Bad Religion. Album out on May 8th: https://fakenamesofficial.com/

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    No doubt about "shape of punk to come", 12 bursts indeed. "freedom" and "war music" are a tie for me, both records have stellar songs but fall a little flat in the long run. Combined they would have made for a killer record though and the songs fit well into the existing live set. Can't wait to see them later this year, hopefully that is...

Dennis told me about False Names about two years ago, exciting to see it coming to life right now. But I guess INVSN will remain my favorite out of his projects outside of Refused. Noise Conspiracy, while great in its own sense, never grabbed me like I hope it would. It's still baffling to me how relevant that guy still is and what a power house he is on stage though. No matter which project, I will see this man whenever he comes to my city or anywhere near. And frankly, he's the only artist these days that I can take serious when talking about politics and society on stage. Spot on, well spoken and never belligerent to the point of becoming too self absorbed.

Lots of love for this band and Dennis:

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    new Refused (that really sounds like old Refused!) under a pseudonym for some new video game:

Pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    new Refused (that really sounds like old Refused!) under a pseudonym for some new video game:

Pretty damn good.
    Yes, they already released 2 tracks almost one year ago:

I wonder if they will release a full EP of this.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Since the game is supposed to come out soon I'm pretty sure there are more songs and maybe even an EP.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    While I'm heartbroken over that cancelled Euro tour next month, Refused just released a new song under their name "Samurai" for the upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077:

Currently there are four tracks available right now, but I hope there is more once the game is out as stated earlier above. Might be not as good as proper Refused songs, but I enjoy these alot and see them as a kind of bonus EP to "war music".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    While I'm heartbroken over that cancelled Euro tour next month, Refused just released a new song under their name "Samurai" for the upcoming game Cyberpunk 2077:

Currently there are four tracks available right now, but I hope there is more once the game is out as stated earlier above. Might be not as good as proper Refused songs, but I enjoy these alot and see them as a kind of bonus EP to "war music".
    That's some low quality Refused right there....

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Hm, I think the songs are quite nice, a little odd for Refused, but enjoyable nevertheless and I guess that was the point of a fictional band. Hence why Dennis' pronounciations are so clear in order to make his accent not as noticeable. Won't get the game though.

They streamed an event for that game yesterday and there's a part dedicated to Refused or at least Dennis gets to talk a bit about "Becoming Samurai":

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Guess I will never not care about this band. New EP "The Malignant Fire" coming out on November 20th.

Digging the new track so far:

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Love this band and always have and likely always will. Elitist punker fucks riffed on Freedom when it came out years back, but I always dug that album. It’s experimental and weird and there’s no way you follow up a game changer like TSOPTC anyway, so..

War Music was like a throwback to STFTFOD and I love every minute of it. Hopefully this new EP scorches, too. I’m glad these guys are committed to their reunion and adding to their 90s legacy with quality stuff in the modern day..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The EP is out now

https://refused.lnk.to/TheMalignantFireEP

After one listen I like it. Enjoyed Freedom and War Music too.