Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: At The Drive-In... reform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So another new song leaked which is the third song available from the upcoming album now. This song is awesome, the first two grew on me but I was immediately blown away by this one. Very excited for the album now. It's the album closer so you might not want to listen if you prefer to avoid spoilers like that:

Last edited by Mataxia; 03-19-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Loving the new material so far. Seems like they haven't really missed a step here at all and that is pretty impressive. But I would really like a new Mars Volta album :/. I just recently started getting into Omar's material and most is hit and miss for me so far, but dam, he has TONS on material to brush through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, for the most part I've been enjoying all this other stuff but TMV is still the main dish for me. It looks like they plan to bring Volta back eventually so I'm just trying to enjoy what we're being given in the meantime. I will say this latest ATDI song has got me Volta-level excited though, hopefully the rest of the album is as good. Omar's material is definitely hit or miss but really, at least a third of his discography are really great albums, which is still more than most bands ever release. There are at least a few that are Volta level, in my opinion. So it's definitely worth going through.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I personally was a bigger fan of AtDI than Mars Volta, but (unlike all the MV fans) I thought they were finally making something amazing with Nocturniquet... and then they broke up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I personally was a bigger fan of AtDI than Mars Volta, but (unlike all the MV fans) I thought they were finally making something amazing with Nocturniquet... and then they broke up.
    oof. nocturniquet is so boring. it suffers from the same issue that so many of my favorite bands have run into, where they put out an incredible and innovative album ("octahedron") followed by something uninspired & uninteresting, which i find impossible to connect to emotionally.

what about it drew you in that the other albums didn't have? i'm genuinely curious because you're typically very discerning and i find it interesting that you like the album everyone else seems to dislike.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    oof. nocturniquet is so boring. it suffers from the same issue that so many of my favorite bands have run into, where they put out an incredible and innovative album ("octahedron") followed by something uninspired & uninteresting, which i find impossible to connect to emotionally.

what about it drew you in that the other albums didn't have? i'm genuinely curious because you're typically very discerning and i find it interesting that you like the album everyone else seems to dislike.
    Both me and my bandmate agree it is hands down the best Mars Volta album... and we've been on the same page about the rare moments where they knocked it out of the park before, and we both like At the Drive In better overall (but admittedly, when Relationship of Command was blowing up, we were both skeptical about whether or not people were overblowing the album's greatness).

All of that would seem strange, given that we're all about strange or unconventional/psychedelic stuff... I myself am all about that. It's part of why I was so shocked by how much I hated Deloused in the Crematorium. It bored me to tears, I hated the slick production, and I felt like the songs were pathetically aping true psych/prog rock. Follow up records were better, but I felt like they were smashing psychedelic washes of atonal garbage to mask the lack of songwriting...

Then I heard The Malkan Jewel off Noctourniquet, and it made me go back and reconsider everything I'd thought about Mars Volta. Like, maybe great self-contained songs like The Widow weren't anomalies.... maybe they were actually crafting some great stuff that I was missing because I was over-hearing the production swash. In my re-appraisal, it's a steady upward trajectory of quality, peaking with Nocturniquet, but that still being the only album from them that I've been excited about. Or maybe Francis the Mute had enough going for it that it was an early peak, but it isn't a contest...

Mars Volta felt indulgent to me at first, "rebound sex" after the breakup of the band. It seemed unfocused, and at the same time showy... as if to say "see, now we don't have those pop dorks making us do cookie cutter rock, now we're FREEEEEE" to make some really meandering audio soup. I saw them live three times, and I always wanted to understand the love for their live show, and the music in general. At one show I took my earplugs out because it sounded like a "shreds" video, and then it just sounded like blaring distortion.

They came across to me as a band that was overreaching to be called technically fascinating and adventurous, but I didn't think they were actually that exciting. Nocturniquet changed my mind about them really, but mostly because I felt it actually had some incredible song structure, and it wasn't so wailing and showy. It wasn't trying to impress you with how avant-garde it was, it was just a good album.

I guess the push back from that is that fans of what they were doing before found it to be pedestrian and restricted. I get that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

Damn, I actually feel the complete opposite. Like Octahedron was them trying to do a new sound but not quite getting there, and then they perfected it and pushed more boundaries with Noctourniquet. Mainly the incorporation of electronic elements and more melodic stuff. I think Omar also said something to a similar degree in an interview about them doing things on Noctourniquet that they were kind of afraid to do before. I also felt like it had the most emotion out of anything since Frances, the lyrics and vocals especially are beautiful and sucked me into the story of the album. Just my opinion of course. I too was very excited for Volta's future after Noctourniquet. Hopefully when LP7 eventually comes it'll be another great album.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I really love Noctourniquet. It's my third favorite after Frances the Mute and De-Loused.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd say Noctourniquet and The Bedlam in Goliath took the longest to grow on me, compared to the other MV records. There's a handful of songs from Noctourniquet that are so awesome-- Empty Vessels, the title track, Zed and Two Naughts, Aegis, In Absentia... as for Bedlam, I remember listening to it all the way through for the first time, and thinking it was way too chaotic and incoherent. However, after a bunch of listens, I ended up loving it heaps. I think the crazy and busy nature of the songs is what makes it so fucking cool, the band went further off into the deep end with the album, and it works fantastically. Tracks like Cavalettas, Metatron, Goliath and Ilyena are standouts for me.

Octahedron is another album that I felt was a bit underwhelming at first, but gradually began to love over time. I guess listening to it after the craziness of Bedlam was jarring. There's some really underrated songs on there, like Teflon and With Twlight As My Guide. The whole band, especially Cedric, shines on it. The more restrained and reflective side of TMV is brilliant.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Album sounds like its gonna be awesome. Have really liked everything thus far.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Album is out and is fucking awesome. Really surprised, still wish Jim Ward was in the band...I wonder what happened?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    For real. Excited to see them live now, b/c I want to hear the new songs too! Really didn't think they could put out a record this good again.