Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: At The Drive-In... reform.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

At The Drive-In... reform.

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/b..._in_to_reunite

Yep, no nostalgia anymore. This is the real deal.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Suhweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    this is still one of my favorite David Letterman performances

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Don't get it. TMV are much better. To me ATDI was like a cut'n'paste mix of Fugazi and RATM. Lots of energy, but no identity. I really don't understand why such progressive musicians would take this seemingly regressive step. ATDI's narrow framework shackled these guys, TMV set them free, giving them the opportunity to soar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't disagree more with the above post, To me the mars volta are the much more regressive of the two, essentially just a prog band. And a prog band with highly diminishing returns, first two albums were great, but since then? Not so much. And being someone of the age who was just going to shows as they split up it'll be amazing to finally see them.

Course all this pales in comparison to the fact that.

REFUSED ARE BACK.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Grimez View Post

REFUSED ARE BACK.
    shit's gonna get real. at least I hope so.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Remember when Refused ripped off Nation of Ulysses and The Make Up and made an entire career out of it?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh please, Nation Of Ulysses didn't have a "Shape of Punk to Come" in them. And honestly, Refused can bite whoever, if they can take that influence and then produce something like THAT again..

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Hardly the thread for it, but Refused made not just one of the best "punk" albums, it was one of the best period. That album still manages to overwhelm me like it did when I first heard it in high school. Same with Source Tags and Codes and Relationship of Command.

As ATDI goes, TMV is overrated. It's always sounded like prog wankery to me and neither Cedric or Omar can self edit. I like Sparta, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I've known Jim Ward since 2007 and e-mail each other periodically and puts me on the guest list each time Sleepcar performs or he does a solo show. In other words, I like Sparta, but I'm aware why people think they suck. Where they found a middle ground to make ATDI, I have no idea, but it's going to be fun singing along to these songs again.

Also, welcome back pigpen!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    what is with all the crap bands returning? This really is the end of the world

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I kind of admire them for coming out and saying that it's a cash grab. Most bands wouldn't do that. It was probably fairly obvious too considering there's a new Mars Volta album coming out and Jim said he's getting Sparta back together. Someday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone in Texas been able to catch them on their small shows they're doing this week? Someone posted a video on youtube of Napoleon Solo but the person is outside along with other people that weren't able to get in. They're just listening and singing along outside in the alley. It sounded pretty good. I hope their set will be part of Coachella's webcast on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They don't have the energy onstage that they did 11 years ago but it makes me so happy to hear them playing again. Then again it is the first show, maybe they're just shaking off the cobwebs.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    i want them to release a new album, shame this is just for "nostalgia" purposes

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    no$talgia purpo$e$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The shows have been excellent. I think the only one lacking energy has been Omar, who just lost his mother a couple weeks ago. At The Drive-In are excellent and The Mars Volta are amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Yeah when is the new stuff coming

I heard they rebanded but when is the new stuff being released?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    They've explicitly said that they won't be making new material at all. They're just getting back together to play these live shows and then that's it. And quite frankly I don't think I'd want a new album from them. They're all in different places musically now, and I know Cedric doesn't like that type of music anymore. I'm ok with Relationship Of Command forever being their last album. Because honestly, it can't get much better than that, anyway.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    it would be pointless to record a new album, even though "The Malkin Jewel" sounded very At the Drive In-ish

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    They're webcasting the show tonight on youtube. Look for the guy in a My Morning Jacket shirt holding his glasses and in a circle pit.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    this is streaming right now and other than when Cedric is being a douche for no reason (he's toned it down alot since the beginning of the set), they sound and look great.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    this is streaming right now and other than when Cedric is being a douche for no reason (he's toned it down alot since the beginning of the set), they sound and look great.
    Sounded fantastic. Didn't really think Cedric was being a douche though. I lol'd on more than one occasion at his dumb one liners. Especially the Peter Dinklage thing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    yeah he said some funny stuff. he just wasnt taking his vocal performance seriously during the earlier part of the set, then he spit on the camera as if thats cool, etc. overall he was fine. that was a fucking short set though. would MUCH rather wait to see a full set than deal with the nonsense at something like Coachella. streaming the whole thing is a really really cool idea though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I only got to catch the last few songs. Can't wait for that to be up on youtube, though. Pro-shot At The Drive-In show! Hell yeah!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    yeah he said some funny stuff. he just wasnt taking his vocal performance seriously during the earlier part of the set, then he spit on the camera as if thats cool, etc. overall he was fine. that was a fucking short set though. would MUCH rather wait to see a full set than deal with the nonsense at something like Coachella. streaming the whole thing is a really really cool idea though.
    Yeah I do kind of agree about him half assing his vocals during the first song or two, but I don't know, the sheer excitement of being able to watch that made me not really care. The set was unbelievably slow though. I would have been so upset to be at Coachella and get that short of set. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Refused's HEADLINE set on Friday was way longer. And I love both of those bands immensely, but I feel it should have maybe been the other way around?

I bought my Lolla tickets the other day and I'm really hoping ATDI get's a full headline slot like they're billed for. That'd make my year.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i think Cedric sounded fucking awful. like, he butchered those songs. but that's just more punk, isn't it?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I thought it was a good set. In Austin last week they played for an hour, so it wasn't vastly different. Omar didn't sound too good, but they made the most of it considering it was a small crowd for them, with half of them being there waiting for Dre and Snoop and maybe the first five rows were actually there for ATDI. It wasn't the intense show I thought it would be, but it was worth my time, I had a great time singing and prancing around to songs I've loved for about 12 years.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    It wasn't the intense show I thought it would be, but it was worth my time, I had a great time singing and prancing around to songs I've loved for about 12 years.
    Well you gotta remember. If it HAD been an overly intense show, Cedric would have just told you that you watch too much TV and walked off stage. God I love that dude.