Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Queen

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Queen

I actually haven't listened to Queen in a while, but I decided to get back into them. I only have Innuendo and The Game though, but I'm also looking forward to get more Queen albums. I can't say that I've really gotten into any of the Queen + Paul Rodgers discography though. =/

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I love Queen, their album catalogue is so dense and rewarding yet they were completely untouchable as a live band. The Paul Rodgers stuff was okay, they didn't ruin the legacy or anything as some people may contend. There's just no way you can ever top that amazing run with Freddie.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Best band ever.

And I'm glad the old b-sides are all reissued, albeit in an expensive package, because some of Queen's best are the weird little tracks hidden away on obscure 7"

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Agreed. This one's one of my favourite Roger Taylor songs, and it lingered in relative obscurity until the excellent deluxe 2-disc reissue of The Game:

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The queen bootleg royal rarities is full of some stuff that's still not on the reissues, some weird 12" remixes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First CD I ever bought for myself was Live at Wembley '86. I started to listen to them on LP's. I was fascinated by the News of the World Cover. We had Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races and News of the World in the house on LP. I remember the first time I listened to 'You take my breath away'. Still one of my favorite songs. But, yeah, so many great songs in their catalogue.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    As you may recall from the Queen thread in the old ETS, I have the biggest Queen boner, muahahahahahaa, because I saw them twice back in "the day," including standing about 6 feet in front of Freddie Mercury during the whole encore at this show:

http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/...higan-usa.html
    Last edited by allegro; 09-14-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Very jealous - I've seen Queen+PR twice (and Brian May live a few times in various circumstances), but without Freddie it's just not the same =(.

Man, I wish Deacon would come out of retirement

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I love Queen, their album catalogue is so dense and rewarding yet they were completely untouchable as a live band. The Paul Rodgers stuff was okay, they didn't ruin the legacy or anything as some people may contend. There's just no way you can ever top that amazing run with Freddie.
    I took a little while to make an actual response to your post, but I completely agree with you here. I also didn't mean to say that the Paul Rodgers stuff was horrible or a travesty by any means either. You just basically said it far better than I ever could. I'd also agree with you on the rewarding part as well. I've only heard several other Queen songs on YouTube and I'm compelled to get as many Queen albums as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    As you may recall from the Queen thread in the old ETS, I have the biggest Queen boner, muahahahahahaa, because I saw them twice back in "the day," including standing about 6 feet in front of Freddie Mercury during the whole encore at this show:
    I could've sworn that I've seen you post a picture of your actual ticket to a Queen concert. Was that the same exact concert you were referring to?
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 01-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Only came to browse and ended up in this thread for two hours watching the concert vids (thanks for sharing 'em!)

I got the 2011 remaster of A Night At The Opera last week and it sounds wonderful, it still remains in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. I must say i was disappointed with the packaging and the bonus CD. It really should have come with a DVD instead. Still, the audio is superb and i'll be getting Sheer Heart Attack next.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is one band that you could pull any album from, play it for me from the starting track to the final and I'd listen to it all the way through.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Brian May and Roger Taylor preparing to shit on the memory of Freddie Mercury.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Fuck that ugly queen Adam Lambert. He can't sing and he tries too hard to win the crowd. He's not even in the same planet or universe as Freddie Mercury was. When Freddie sings, he fucking owns the place and makes you feel equal when you sing with him. Future vocalists of the world... watch and learn.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Holy shit, so glad I pre-ordered the Super-deluxe box set of the Rainbow shows. It's amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Queen were my first love, never got to see them live (although I wore out several VHS live recordings from watching them over and over) but the first gig I ever attended was Brian May in 1993 (my Mum and Dad took me, it was a great night). Right now Sheer Heart Attack is my favourite. The Live at the Rainbow box set looks awesome.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ @allegro Have you checked out queenconcerts.com? That guy has a bunch of great photos/memorabilia from that second show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    The Live at the Rainbow box set looks awesome.
    IT IS. Absolutely worth every penny.
    Last edited by botley; 09-14-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So have you guys seen/heard queen with adam lambert?

I think it's pretty bad ass.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

You know something. We live in very tough and bad times but let's be glad for moments like this.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw the preview for the upcoming Freddie Mercury/Queen movie last night when I saw the new Star Wars movie--looks awesome. I felt inspired to re-visit Queen and am listening to Queen II as I type this. Queen are one of those bands that I really like, but never really spent a lot of time on. Queen II is a great fucking album, I will say, and I prefer it to their more famous later works.

ETA- I thought that Paul Rogers album sucked. But I've never really been into Bad Company.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm looking forward to Bohemian Rhapsody too! Looks like it's gonna be a fun movie before it inevitably becomes super heartbreaking.

I find Queen's later albums more difficult to get into, but I think everything up until Hot Space is pretty solid.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    I'm looking forward to Bohemian Rhapsody too! Looks like it's gonna be a fun movie before it inevitably becomes super heartbreaking.

I find Queen's later albums more difficult to get into, but I think everything up until Hot Space is pretty solid.
    Loved Innuendo, the title song is one of their best.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    There are rumors the movie will not address his HIV and eventual passing. That seems like a really tone deaf, bad decision.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the film's climax is at Live Aid and doesn't go anywhere else after that.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    There are rumors the movie will not address his HIV and eventual passing. That seems like a really tone deaf, bad decision.
    yeaaah, man, and it sounds like it's probably true due to the sheer number of reports and the sources.

That's kind of nuts.

The trailer looked great, but I kind of feel like Freddie Mercury's story is a BIG reason why a Queen movie should exist in the first place.

Otherwise, why not make a movie about every classic rock act? I mean I would probably watch a zeppelin movie, but still.

That being said, it could still work. Hinting at sexuality and illness and ending with some sort of postscript might work.

Ignoring it completely: it could still be a decent movie, but JESUS it's weird.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Question about the 1991 Hollywood masters. Listened to NATO today, sounds good. What are people bitching about?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've been listening to Queen a lot lately. My favorite song since I was a kid is Innuendo. It feels great to give Queen a proper listen after so many years. I've found some love for every era of the band. Sure the 70s had those great, more serious, prog rock/opera tracks. But I just love songs like A Kind of Magic, I Want it All and even Queen's version of I Was Born to Love You.

Getting drunk and singing Tie Your Mother Down on karaoke must be lots of fun. And something Freddie would probably approve.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I saw Mark Martel with a orchestestra , He plays in an official tribute of queen, I know he will play in the states the next year, you should check it, he is awesome