Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Elvis Presley

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Elvis Presley

Happy Birthday, Elvis.

Last edited by allegro; 08-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    In honor of both the Thin White Duke and The King! I feel the need to show this clip as a tribute to these two men of awesomeness...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 08-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To anyone who lives in San Diego, or wouldn't mind driving down here, there is a Elvis Tribute show happening at The Belly Up TONIGHT:

http://www.bellyup.com/show/detail/53522

Here is a promotional video for it as well:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Thank you, thank you very much...the one and only KING of Rock N' Roll...ELVIS!

Elvis Presley: thoughts?

Elvis' Golden albums I-V, his first two releases, his gospel albums, GI Blues, The '68 comeback, From Elvis in Memphis, all classic albums. And Elvis planted the flag in terms of great frontmen--Jim Morrison, Bon Scott, Robert Plant, Axl Rose, they all owe a debt to the King.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Elvis is the King and nobody will take that away from him but..... DAVID BOWIE IS GOD!!!! Both are born on the same day, January 8.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I have loved Elvis from a very young age. His early (pre-Army) stuff was like Manna from Heaven to me in the midst of bleak Ontario winters. Nobody can or should even pretend to understand music made in the past sixty years without having heard and enjoyed those recordings. They are truly essential.

I made the trek to Graceland with my dad about six years ago. As I've grown older, my appreciation for Elvis' later period of performances and recordings has also grown considerably. They recently issued a new anthology of his Graceland recordings called Way Down in the Jungle Room, which sounds great. Also I treasure the concert film That's the Way It Is — unbelievably high-energy performances, and what an epic opening and closing. I highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was born on his birthday, so he always gets ALL the attention on my birthday.

I used to love watching his movies on TV when I was a kid.

He was the coolest guy ever.

He looked kinda like my dad in the 50s. Because my dad and every other guy wanted to look like Elvis.

edit: I was just thinking, last August I was up late at night watching a MARATHON of Elvis stuff on the anniversary of his death that included a bunch of interviews with him, and stuff about him in the army, all kinds of stuff, and he was just so ... NICE. So honest, so funny, such good manners, such an overall good guy. Talented, yes, but also just an overall good guy, loved his mom, etc.

(love the title of this thread btw, lol)

Also, Tiny Elvis is something of an ongoing obsession with me and my husband: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...y-elvis/n10277

THAT LAMP IS HUGE!

Last edited by allegro; 10-12-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Danzig is my favourite artist therefore I'm a big Evil-is fan by default.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sme of his movies are pretty good--King Creole, GI Blues, Girls, Girls, Girls. The soundtracks are good too.

And then there was Franky and Johnny...

I found this list to be helpful, all 57 of his albums ranked.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/every...um-ranked.html

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Viva Las Vegas is my favorite Elvis movie.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Viva Las Vegas is my favorite Elvis movie.
    Aw yeah I love Ann Margaret and Elvis

Last edited by allegro; 10-12-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    And then there is NINE INCH ELVIS!

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=nine...h%20elvis&sm=1

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Elvis was so cute

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    hahahahahha this one is my favorite!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This boxset of four complete shows from 1969 (11 CDs) looks awesome:
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...-11cd-box-set/

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I heard on the radio they're looking to do a biopic about Elvis.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    This boxset of four complete shows from 1969 (11 CDs) looks awesome:
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...-11cd-box-set/
    That does look cool. He was at the top of his game in the late 60's, releasing some of his best albums. Really sad that things turned around the way they did, subsequently.

Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    I heard on the radio they're looking to do a biopic about Elvis.
    Ha, another one? I guess that after Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, it's the cool thing to do right now. I liked the one with Kurt Russell from the 80's.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like his late 60's/70's period the best.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post

Ha, another one? I guess that after Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, it's the cool thing to do right now. I liked the one with Kurt Russell from the 80's.
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Another one???

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think the real-life documentaries of those artists' lives are far more fulfilling and rewarding for the viewer than any biopic ever could be (I cried seeing Queen's Days of Our Lives and really loved that newish Elvis doc The Searcher). That's just me, tho. Long live the King.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention @botley ! Will seek that out immediately!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Well, I'm about half the way through this new Live 1969 box set on streaming.

It's a boon to have all these shows available, mixed with such vitality and style (even as similar as they are from show to show)... but I generally think these performances and arrangements are inferior to the next year's; the live material on That's the Way It Is (all 9 hours of the Expanded Edition soundtrack is also on streaming) proves when Elvis was motivated and 'on', he could sell these songs with flair. But he needed lots of work to get there. The rehearsals on that from 1970 showed he cared enough to drill the band and get the show tighter. There's a lot of sloppiness in the 1969 shows, by contrast.

First two discs have a lot of those rough edges while they get the levels right (and sometimes the piano is inaudible). Disc three Elvis is in fine form, with extra songs thrown in! But the audience interaction goes on for a LONG time. Great band performances all over it, that TCB rhythm section really could cook. On disc four, Elvis is in rough voice, and the tempos very fast. James' guitar amp is clearly having problems, the echo chamber channel keeps shorting out and popping during "I Got a Woman", but those great Sweet Inspirations singers save the day.

Man, was Elvis ever GOOFY on stage. "Feel like Bob Dylan's stuck in my mouth... this here's Gatorade. They give it to athletes'... feet." "Warden threw a monkey in the county jail!"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This looks awesome:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Elvis today--loved it. I know they left things out, underplayed certain things, etc. but they obviously had to take some artistic liberties and keep the runtime under three hours. Austin Butler was fantastic. I don't think that there is a better actor who could have pulled it off. He looks like him, sang really well, and just gave an all-around great performance. Tom Hanks was also very good as Col. Parker, although I don't know why they made him sound like Dracula, with some eastern European accent when the real Parker never sounded like that.

Better to see this on the big screen instead of streaming--it's the kind of film that really is best appreciated in the cinema. The sets, visuals, music, etc. are stunning. If you are at all an Elvis fan, check this movie out. Even if you aren't an Elvis fan, I'd recommend this movie. It was also interesting to see the cultural changes that occurred during Elvis Presley's 20-year career and how they, along with the deaths of MLK and RFK, influenced his musical direction, i.e, using soul music for the 1968 "comeback" special.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The COSTUMES, my God.