Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Heathen is available again on vinyl for non-Ebay prices: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/davi...-records.shtml

From what I hear, it's still too much music for 1 LP, but that it still sounds better than US CD, and is a quiet, flat pressing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've never understood the hate for Reality. I love that record and if it happens to be his swan song than so be it. I think it is a great "final" album for Bowie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The hate for Reality?? Whe fuck do you mean? This album is brilliant!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The hate for Reality?? Whe fuck do you mean? This album is brilliant!
    I agree...But I always see and hear whenever Bowie is brought up that people say "oh his last album was awful" etc etc... and GoodSoldier333 stated "I'll pretend Reality never happened."

To be honest Pablo Picasso may be my number one most played Bowie song ever on my iPod.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    have you heard the original modern lovers version?

reality is not my favorite bowie album by a long shot, but it has some great tracks (new killer star, the title track, disco king). the only songs i loathe are the george harrison cover and i don't remember liking "days" that much. the rest are fine. by fine, i mean-- they are pleasant, but don't grab me by the cajones. so- no hate here, but no massive love either, especially when stacked up against heathen.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Heathen was great! And I saw him live on the Reality tour, such high energy for such an old man! ;p

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    have you heard the original modern lovers version?

reality is not my favorite bowie album by a long shot, but it has some great tracks (new killer star, the title track, disco king). the only songs i loathe are the george harrison cover and i don't remember liking "days" that much. the rest are fine. by fine, i mean-- they are pleasant, but don't grab me by the cajones. so- no hate here, but no massive love either, especially when stacked up against heathen.
    Days is one of my favorites!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I appreciate and listen to Reality but it's not my favorite album and it is a bit weak coming off of Heathen as his previous beforehand.

Probably my favorite Bowie albums (in no order) are,

1. Outside
    Earthling
    Heathen
    Diamond Dogs
    Scary Monsters
    "Heroes"
    Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

One album i like that's overshadowed and gets no love is 'hours...'

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Hours...& Heathen are fucking brilliant. Those combined with Reality make a great closing trilogy for the man. Although I'd love another record, I fear I'd be disappointed that it might not be as great a swan song as Reality.
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 02-24-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Currently digging into this blog: http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/
    Very interesting read. The blog covers chronologically every Bowie song since the mid-60's onwards, currently exploring Never Let Me Down era.
    Last edited by fillow; 03-16-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    you have to admire a blog willing to delve into never let me down with such care and finesse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Currently digging into this blog: http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/
    Very interesting read. The blog covers chronologically every Bowie song since the mid-60's onwards, currently exploring Never Let Me Down era.
    Thanks for posting! How fascination!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i've been reading it all morning. reminded me about the bolan/bowie collaboration 'madman' (most awesomely and obscurely covered by snowy red in the 80s) and the drawing upon of ancient material for much of scary monsters.

case in point:

and i'm glad this blog gives props to what might be my favorite track on low, not actually released on low:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    One of the weird things about the unreleased Low tracks is how All Saints sounds so much like Throbbing Gristle. Also, some of the synth parts sound an awful lot like the Queen song, Get Down Make Love. All Saints was released years later on a limited edition CD, so I've always wondered if Bowie let Queen use it of if it's just a typical sound of the synth used in both recordings.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZackeryH View Post
    One of the weird things about the unreleased Low tracks is how All Saints sounds so much like Throbbing Gristle. Also, some of the synth parts sound an awful lot like the Queen song, Get Down Make Love. All Saints was released years later on a limited edition CD, so I've always wondered if Bowie let Queen use it of if it's just a typical sound of the synth used in both recordings.
    There are no synths on the original version of "Get Down Make Love", it's Brian May playing guitar through a harmonizer. Eno/Visconti/Bowie were playing with harmonizers during the Low & "Heroes" period too, but they certainly didn't invent them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    There are no synths on the original version of "Get Down Make Love", it's Brian May playing guitar through a harmonizer. Eno/Visconti/Bowie were playing with harmonizers during the Low & "Heroes" period too, but they certainly didn't invent them.
    Low predates the release of Get Down Make Love by a few months, so I've always wondered about that since the specific sounds are almost the same. I'm guessing the harmonizer is probably going to make close to the same sound so it was coincidental. When I was young, I heard the NIN version of Get Down along with hearing the All Saints track a few months earlier. I thought Trent had sampled Bowie until I heard the original Queen track.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)

Arrow

I'm guessing the harmonizer is probably going to make close to the same sound so it was coincidental.
    Yeah, pretty much.
    I thought Trent had sampled Bowie until I heard the original Queen track.
    Now I am completely confused about what you are saying. "All Saints" isn't on the original Low and therefore couldn't have inspired Queen's original version, but it's somehow similar enough to some sound in the NIN version of "Get Down" — not the Queen version, mind you (and which sound are we talking about again? The guitar sweeps that are hugely prominent in the Queen track, faint in the background of the Bowie track, and very briefly snuck in at the breakdowns of the NIN track for a millisecond at a time?) — that you thought NIN had sampled Bowie? Not QUEEN, the band whose lead singer wrote the song in question? I'm lost.
    Last edited by botley; 03-18-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    there's a rumor kicking around that 'all saints' (which didn't appear until the 1990 rykodisc reissues) was a fragmented piece from the low sessions, dusted off and re-worked in 1989/1990. it would explain the myriad of digital-alike sounds on that particular recording. i've always thought 'eraser' jocked that track a bit (the guitar textures, the coil-esque madness heard on the remixes, etc.) but there's no way queen nicked it offhand. likely a coincidence with the use of gear and production techniques, as botley/zach suggests.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Now that you mention it... yeah, "Eraser (Denial; Realization)" does sound like a straight-up remake of "All Saints" (which was also a great girl group in the '90s).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, pretty much.Now I am completely confused about what you are saying. "All Saints" isn't on the original Low and therefore couldn't have inspired Queen's original version, but it's somehow similar enough to some sound in the NIN version of "Get Down" — not the Queen version, mind you (and which sound are we talking about again? The guitar sweeps that are hugely prominent in the Queen track, faint in the background of the Bowie track, and very briefly snuck in at the breakdowns of the NIN track for a millisecond at a time?) — that you thought NIN had sampled Bowie? Not QUEEN, the band whose lead singer wrote the song in question? I'm lost.
    I heard All Saints before I heard the NIN version of Get Down. Later on I heard Queen. Just stating why I've always wondered about it. The sound is very distinct and unusual. There was even an audio sample list years ago that attributed the sample in the NIN cover song to the wrong source(It claimed the sample came from the Bowie track).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What amazes me the most is just he managed to 10 FUCKING ALBUMS in 10 or so years in the 70's almost without a single drop in quality, and which all sound relatively different, plus 5 awesome tours all with different production/instrumentation, plus 2 Iggy albums... Holy fuck I can't imagine any band/artist pulling this in our days unless a) half of the albums will suck or b) half (if not all) of the albums will sound exactly the same or c) a+b. Or d) the person in question is Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, but he kinda belongs to b category
    Last edited by fillow; 03-19-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    What amazes me the most is just he managed to 10 FUCKING ALBUMS in 10 or so years in the 70's almost without a single drop in quality, and which all sound relatively different, plus 5 awesome tours all with different production/instrumentation, plus 2 Iggy albums... Holy fuck I can't imagine any band/artist pulling this in our days unless a) half of the albums will suck or b) half (if not all) of the albums will sound exactly the same or c) a+b. Or d) the person in question is Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, but he kinda belongs to b category
    Let's not forget that some of those records he did were under the influence of drugs. That was a great run from 1969 to 1980.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pretty fucking AWESOME! via David Bowie facebook:

SPEED OF LIFE - The signed limited edition book by David Bowie & Masayoshi Sukita

www.BowieBook.com

Genesis is proud to announce SPEED OF LIFE, the new publication born out of a 40-year collaboration between musician, actor and producer, David Bowie, and photographer and designer, Masayoshi Sukita.

In their fine bound edition, the authors have opened up Sukita's archives to assemble a 300-page photo essay which, captioned with their own recollections and memories, traces the development of Bowie's remarkable career from 1972 to the present day.

Check out the hidden 'Speed of Life' microsite here: http://www.genesis-publications.com/speed-of-life-david-bowie-and-masayoshi-sukita/

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I can't decide whether or not to include this on my Best of 88/96 but it was released as a single...

"Tonight (Live)" with Tina Turner, David Bowie, Sexy Sax Man and Random Stage Invader

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That sax guy was just awesome. Flashbacks of The Lost Boys right there.

I attempted to narrow down a playlist last week for that same period and couldn't get it down to "cd length." My partiality towards Outside was messing me up. Incidentally, I'm looking forward to the Ziggy anniversary release they just announced.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I can't decide whether or not to include this on my Best of 88/96 but it was released as a single...

"Tonight (Live)" with Tina Turner, David Bowie, Sexy Sax Man and Random Stage Invader
    disqualified not just cuz it sucks, but was it really released as a single in '88? tonight was '84. if you mean the previous era's comp, skip it and just use the full length of 'loving the alien' to compensate.

really with a few exceptions (the aforementioned alien, absolute beginners, cat people, when the wind blows, this is not america, time will crawl etc.) that era was just dire. i think he covered more iggy pop songs than he actually wrote .
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-23-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love every song on Let's Dance, except Ricochet, and every song on Tonight.

Favorite Bowie albums:
    1. Diamond Dogs / Scary Monsters
    2. Heathen / Reality
    3. Low > Station to Station > Hunky Dory > Aladdin Sane > Ziggy Stardust > The Man Who Sold The World
    4. Black Tie, White Noise
    5. Let's Dance / Tonight / Young Americans
    6. Earthling / Hours / Outside
    7. Never Let Me Down

Edit: I originally put Young Americans at 7 but when I thought about it for a second I really think Young Americans is either better than Let's Dance/Tonight or on the same level, so I put it in the same group... However, I think Young Americans is probably the better of the three.
    Edit2: God, forgot 'Heroes'. So many Bowie albums and I knew there was probably at least one I was missing. Shout out to 'Heroes', I guess, love Joe The Lion, 'Heroes' and Sons of the Silent Age, other than that I don't listen to it much anyway.
    Last edited by Babali; 03-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    was it really released as a single in '88? tonight was '84. if you mean the previous era's comp, skip it and just use the full length of 'loving the alien' to compensate.
    The live version was released as a single (from the Tina Live in Europe album, where they also duet on "Let's Dance") in 1988. Yes, the studio version was also released as a single in '84 but the official 1980/1987 comp doesn't include it (possibly to make room for the very track you recommend), so I'm inclined to put it on this later comp just to represent it in some way. I suspect the official live single is going to be hard to track down because it's not in print or even acknowledged in many Bowie discographies.
    Last edited by botley; 03-23-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The live version was released as a single (from the Tina Live in Europe album, where they also duet on "Let's Dance") in 1988. Yes, the studio version was also released as a single in '84 but the official 1980/1987 comp doesn't include it (possibly to make room for the very track you recommend), so I'm inclined to put it on this later comp just to represent it in some way. I suspect the official live single is going to be hard to track down because it's not in print or even acknowledged in many Bowie discographies.
    You're working on a custom compilation for your collection or what is this for?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i had no idea that existed in 88! i guess tina gets the credit there, hence all quiet on the bowie front. surprised teenage wildlife doesn't even have an entry for it. they (used to be) rather comprehensive!

nice to see some diamond dogs love. always been top tier, despite the incredibly raw and bleak atmosphere.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-23-2012 at 01:15 PM.