Page 18 of 84 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i have been obsessed with Life on Mars for the past few weeks, and i love its theme of escapism.

But i'm not certain that i fully understand the lyrics to the second verse.
    I even wondered if Bowie wrote the song "through the eyes" of Walt Disney, who's first theme park opened the year Hunky Dory came out.
    I have my take on the meaning of the first few lines of that verse, that disney's company was turning into the ultimate cash cow, which was a shame because the man seemed to be the ultimate escapist.
    And the workers have struck for fame, for Lennon's on sale again-Disney's workers had a notable strike in the 30's, and the man called them communists. So i think it could be Lennon, or LenIN, and mean that leftist values expressed in entertainment media are for sale just like everything else?
    Who are the "mice in their million hordes?" Are they the same as the girl with the mousy hair, seeking escape from a hard life?
    And as for the bit about Rule Britannia, i haven't a clue.
    Also, what is with the shift in narrative distance, (I ask you to focus on, I'VE wrote it ten times or more?)
    Am i looking to deep for a definitive meaning of lyrics by a man who sometimes uses William S Burrough's random cut-and-and paste writing method and snorted coke like Tony Montana?

I feel like i'm RIGHT on the edge of fully understanding the song. I know that some people here are seriously into David Bowie.
    The first half is easy enough to make sense of. What does the second half mean?

edit:Oh, and allow me to throw in my two cents on guitar players. I like Reeves Gabrels. He was bowie's guitarist as i was becoming aware of him, and good LORD he comes up with some interesting stuff.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-01-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wow, heh, I'll have to look at those lyrics again.

I DVR'd that 2-part "American Experience" about Walt Disney on PBS (and I've been to both Disneyland and World and was a lifelong Walt fan, so a lot of it was pretty shocking, especially Walt's hatred of unions). Walt grouped himself in with an organization of anti-communists only because he had convinced himself that his workers couldn't really be against him, but instead must have been under the infuence of communists. He held a grudge only against those who organized against him, but was otherwise unpolitical.

Bowie tended to write in sweeping tones, with imagery that was often only known to him and he often mixed up the surreal with the real and different historical events.

For instance, "Panic in Detroit" is allegedly about Iggy's describing the Detroit race riots to Bowie. But Iggy didn't live in Detroit at the time (he was living in Ann Arbor) and there is a whole lot of other shit going on in that song. But the overall theme conveys "panic."

"Is there life on Mars?" seems to be a rhetorical and sarcastic (perhaps ironic) question. Is Mars here? Is there really any 'life' here? Especially considering that we are probably FROM Mars.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-01-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Note, too, the Songfacts is often helpful:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=4973

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I watched that Disney doc too @allegro , and it added some knowledge to fuel my attempt to interpret the song.

Also, the "is there life on mars?" question, for me, could be about being so disappointed with people here that the "girl with the mousy hair" and the "writer" in the second verse are saying "fuck all this! maybe people will treat me better on another planet!"

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Note, too, the Songfacts is often helpful:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=4973
    sorry for double post, but wow. The chords are the same as "My Way" by Sinatra. That's a trip!

For me, this song is an anthem for outsiders of a nature gentler than that of the "sailors fighting in the dance hall" and the people wishing to see it.
    And i think one could write a passable essay about the lyrics referring to Walt Disney if we were talking literary criticism here, but that certainly doesn't mean that it was the impetus for the song.
    And it really, seriously touches me deeply.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://www.davidbowie.com/news/hear-...rst-look-54996

wow. this is pretty cool. really want to hear the rest of this song. Hopefully it will be released somehow. Also, in looking back through the thread i don't see much talk about Tis a pity (she was a whore). i quite like it, i think more that Sue.. i'm also kind of pissed that the digital version (that has Sue, tis, and sue edit) isn't available to purchase in the US. can only get Sue as part of Nothing Has Changed, and can't get tis a pity at all (except, I think, record store day vinyl.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    .... can't get 'Tis A Pity at all
    It was on iTunes, I bought it there, but doesn't seem to be now...curious.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by innerturmoil View Post
    It was on iTunes, I bought it there, but doesn't seem to be now...curious.
    TBH, it doesn't sound much better at full resolution than do the versions currently floating on YouTube. A quickie demo with lowest-fi laptop production values. Weirdly haunting, still.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    TBH, it doesn't sound much better at full resolution than do the versions currently floating on YouTube. A quickie demo with lowest-fi laptop production values. Weirdly haunting, still.
    well, then i guess i will continue to listen on youtube....
    i do hope this new last panthers track gets a full release soon. reminds me a bit of the basquiat version of small plot of land, though since the rhythm section only kicks in at the tail of the credit scene, that vibe may not hold for the rest of the track.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't think anyone posted this, but the Outside session tape that leaked a long time ago in incomplete form and low quality has been posted to youtube in complete form and superior quality. Apparently the person who posted it hasn't shared the source files, so you'll just have to rip it from youtube if you want it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That is awesome, thanks! Hopefully the flac will show up somewhere soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not only has the Outside Session Tape been unearthed but the Outside Tour Rehearsals have also resurfaced in their entirety. 18 soundboard quality songs that include THE MOTEL & OXFORD TOWN. doesn't that kick ass?!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Awesome. Such a great record and tour. Also hoping for FLAC.

In other news, I discovered how amazing the BBC Radio Theatre gig from 2000 was. Great song selection, arrangements, and an absolutely kickass mix. It's the bonus disc on Bowie at the Beeb if anyone's got that. My only gripe is that they do the more traditional arrangement of "Man Who Sold the World" instead of the incredible Outside electronic version, but alas, I understand...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I have the 3-disc Bowie at the Beeb album with the 2000 show at the BBC Radio Theatre. It's probably one of my favorite live collections..... ever. Not a bad song or moment in any of it. I just love everything about it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I have the 3-disc Bowie at the Beeb album with the 2000 show at the BBC Radio Theatre. It's probably one of my favorite live collections..... ever. Not a bad song or moment in any of it. I just love everything about it.
    "Let's Dance" from the Radio Theatre gig is especially amazing. Such a fantastic take!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    "Let's Dance" from the Radio Theatre gig is especially amazing. Such a fantastic take!
    Totally. I also love the fact that Bowie would play a few 80s gems like "Absolute Beginners" and "This Is Not America" which shows that even his worst creative period had some good stuff.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Any particular website where I can find the aforementioned leak? Or is it just youtube for now?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I found this doing a quick search: http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=389
    it's not the 2CD set though, it's an older bootleg, not sure if it's the same rehearsals, the 2CD set is sold online...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    New album in January!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Another new album from Bowie....

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Blackstar sounds like it'll be "Sue (or In a Season of Crime)" stretched into a full album. I dig that so hard. It'd be way more up my alley than TND.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm playing 2 albums today. Space oddity + The man...

If i had to pick up an immediate example of beautiful music for, say, extraterrestrial being that would threaten to destroy our planet Earth i'd present those, no kidding.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Another new album from Bowie....

To be released on my birthday, weeeeeeee!!!! (*lol snort*)

sounds interesting, "long jazzy jams."
    Last edited by allegro; 10-25-2015 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    To be released on my birthday, weeeeeeee!!!! (*lol snort*)

sounds interesting, "long jazzy jams."
    Wait, you share the same birthday with him and Elvis? Whoa!!!!!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Wait, you share the same birthday with him and Elvis? Whoa!!!!!
    Yes! It's easy for people to remember, we all do Blue Suede Shooters

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Blackstar sounds like it'll be "Sue (or In a Season of Crime)" stretched into a full album.
    I hope not.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I hope not.
    Don't read anything into what SPIN reported about the album and it's sound ("completely bonkers") or that the tracks are a part of the Lazarus musical.

From Bowie's camp:

David Bowie ‘Blackstar'
    It can now be confirmed that ‘Blackstar’ is the forthcoming single and album from David Bowie.
    Contrary to inaccurate reporting on the sound and content of the album, only the following can be confirmed:
    The single will be released on November 20th and is not part of David’s theatre piece ‘Lazarus’.
    The album will be released on David’s birthday, January 8th 2016.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Just came here to say that aforementioned leaked Outside tapes + tour rehearsals are absolutely brilliant. If you ever were a fan of said era, go grab it right now, you won't be disappointed. (It's searchable at a certain website that kicks ass, if you know what I mean).
    That's all.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Wow. Currently listening to a stream of the full Leon. I've heard parts of the original Outside sessions, but this is new to me. Can't wait to hear the rest. I was at one of the Wembley shows in '95 so it'll be particularly nice to hear the rehearsals. I remember it sounding a bit crummy, but only in the way that Wembley Arena always does. But yes, I love Outside as it is, but it's sad that he couldn't get a release for the original recordings. Surely he could have put more on the single b-sides, as with Nothing To Be Desired. Oh well, it gives us all a little treat to discover 20 years later.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Imagine a live rock opera with I Am With Name 30-minute version. I'm having goosebumps from the mere thought.
    Or better yet, let Swans cover it live.