Page 54 of 84 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but that track wasn't mixed in time for The Gouster or Young Americans. When creating those albums, Bowie labeled it a 'spare' (leftover) track; nor was it considered finished until Ryko mixed it for the Sound + Vision box set in 1989. EMI remastered that mix for their 2003 edition of the box but opted not to include it on the 2007 special 2-disc edition of Young Americans. So, there is your answer.

Kind of a fun groove, but clearly the vocal is a scratch take not intended to be the final performance (it sounds quite rough).
    Last edited by botley; 01-15-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Humble posts about this incredible man, this is in my top 5 and always will be. I've probably posted about the choice here several times throughout the years as a member:

I love that song so much, but I would love to remix it... I would immediately replace the tones of those organs and saxophone parts with gritty synth bits, and this song would sing... I know that goes against the point of the lyrics, but god the circus tones ruin me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    they used Heroes (to perfect effect) in the series finale of Regular Show. i was already crying, knowing it was the end, and the song just sent me over the edge.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

How did I not know about Fun? This song is fucking awesome. Should have been on the Earthling bonus disc.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I woke up this morning with this song stuck in my head, I'm not complaining, actually its great, but I have just been into this song all day. I prefer this 2000 live version simply because of the slight and subtle Mike Garson fills. Then my Bowie Who Can I be Now box set arrived furthering my frenzy on this song and the Station To Station album and the flipping back to The Gouster.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    How did I not know about Fun? This song is fucking awesome. Should have been on the Earthling bonus disc.
    Fun (Dillinja Mix) (the only version that's commercially released) is included in LiveAndWell.com album, if you want it, you know what to do...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I don't know if it has been mentioned around here, but the uncredited Farewell Mix of "I Can't Give Everything" has a HUGE Trent/Atticus vibe going on. If it's not by them, it's at least by someone who wants to sound like them.

Either way, incredible job. It's simple, yet so melancholic and sad. To me even more so than the original. I'm absolutely in love with it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Fun also seems to be on an unofficial live cd, called Glastonbury Messiah. A few versions of that song (such as the one linked above) are tacked on the end of the cd after the live songs. Also, there's his cover of Dylan's Trying To Get To Heaven on there, which was recorded during the Hours era but was left off the album: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Glastonbury-Messiah/release/6598604

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Fun also seems to be on an unofficial live cd, called Glastonbury Messiah. A few versions of that song (such as the one linked above) are tacked on the end of the cd after the live songs. Also, there's his cover of Dylan's Trying To Get To Heaven on there, which was recorded during the Hours era but was left off the album: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Glastonbury-Messiah/release/6598604
    Yeah, these are promo remixes. They all suck. (imo!)

The original was from liveandwell.com, the actual website. Trying to find the MP3 it gave you now is basically impossible. wtf

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Ah, it has been mentioned. It seems that no one here cares much about it. :/

Oh, and I just noticed the description: "I didn't make this. I found it and here it is." Pretty mysterious.
    Last edited by niggo; 01-19-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Sounds like something maybe James Murphy would've made. But I'm also getting TRAR vibes - the ending especially.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Sounds like something maybe James Murphy would've made. But I'm also getting TRAR vibes - the ending especially.
    I agree. To me the ending sounds almost 100% like them. Although there's still something in the back of my head that makes me question if TRAR could've really made it. I think their songs are usually a bit more "dense" and differently mixed. Either way, the song itself is definitely their style.

I've never heard music from James Murphy — is there something you could recommend based on that remix?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sounds like James Murphy
    Uhuh, definitely. Can't help wonder if it's an instrumental track that someone's chucked the vocal over, but it does really work and I like it very much.
    <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
    @<a href="http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3467" target="_blank">niggo</a>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> -

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    That "Farewell Mix" is just obnoxious...

Side note for you tape-loop ambient fans: William Basinski's "A Shadow In Time" was released today with his eulogy for David titled "For David Robert Jones".

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/c...roducts/trr278

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/6B1OkPs0AlG9QsHIxKwrgp

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post

Side note for you tape-loop ambient fans: William Basinski's "A Shadow In Time" was released today with his eulogy for David titled "For David Robert Jones".

https://www.temporaryresidence.com/c...roducts/trr278

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/6B1OkPs0AlG9QsHIxKwrgp
    It's also on Bandcamp. The eulogy track in question is sleepy and beautiful.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    I've never heard music from James Murphy — is there something you could recommend based on that remix?
    Yes! Besides his work as LCD Soundsystem, make sure to check out his remix of Bowie's Love Is Lost:

Also his remix work as one half of The DFA is fantastic:

This has always been my favorite remix of theirs. Soooo addictive.

A little lesser known album of his is Remixes With Tennis Data, which is similar in sound to his remix of Love Is Lost:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Oh. Obnoxious is a strong word. Interesting. I think it's remarkable that the essence of what I love about TRAR (regardless of who really made it, this track really captures it for me) is something other people on here find obnoxious. Tastes differ I guess.

@r_z Thanks, man! I'll give those a listen a right away.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I have a question for you Bowie fans. If you have been on eBay recently you will see there is a glut of Bowie live bootlegs on there. I am looking for some live versions of certain songs. Buying bootlegs is always a crap shoot so if anybody has any recommendations or ones to avoid that would greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I have a question for you Bowie fans. If you have been on eBay recently you will see there is a glut of Bowie live bootlegs on there. I am looking for some live versions of certain songs. Buying bootlegs is always a crap shoot so if anybody has any recommendations or ones to avoid that would greatly appreciated.
    i have a set from Montreal in 83 that is very good and i know there is some good stuff from Dallas 78 out there. you could always save your money and download instead.
    Last edited by talkingnothing; 01-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    i have a set from Montreal in 83 that is very good and i know there is some good stuff from Dallas 78 out there. you could always save your money and download instead.
    Thank you for the info, Where are the downloads that you are talking about? I am definitely down for Dallas 78 also looking for Outside tour 95 and Earthling tour 96/97. Yes I already have the Bowie/NIN ones.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    There is a bootleg with soundboard recordings of rehearsals for the Outside tour, called "Outside Mix". The audio quality is quite good. You'll find it on the interwebz.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @r_z I searched it I couldn't find it, do you have a link? Thank you.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Don't forget the full Low performance from the 'hours...' Heathen tour (2002). It was also a Montreux festival show!
    Last edited by seasonsinthesky; 01-26-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Don't forget the full Low performance from the 'hours...' tour (2002?).
    YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!! I want that where is it, gimme gimme gimme gimme. I have seen the youtube videos

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Just go to BowieStation (google it), it's forum/torrent tracker dedicated to all things Bowie (no piracy stuff there, don't worry)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Woman at Bowie's Pot Arrest Breaks 40 Year Silence

A guy working on a documentary about David Bowie's arrest for marijuana in WNY manages to get the woman who was with him to talk about it publicly / on record for the first time. Could be interesting to see the documentary if it ever comes out, especially given the advances in legalizing marijuana.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Just go to BowieStation (google it), it's forum/torrent tracker dedicated to all things Bowie (no piracy stuff there, don't worry)
    Dude Thank you I have been downloading all day, of coarse you might be female(I don't know you) in which case Dudette thank you!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Thank you @fillow because of you this is what I am listening to and it doesn't get better then this.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    There are still 7 unheard songs from the Next Day sessions, correct? Wiki reports a total of 29 recorded, and I count 22 released on the various deluxe versions of the album. Do we know if any ended up on Blackstar?