Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Artists who you prefer live over their studio work

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Artists who you prefer live over their studio work

The Doors- I've been collecting their live albums, and they sound awesome (both quality of recording and performance). Those extended jams and Krieger's guitar are insanely good.

Nine Inch Nails- For some songs. The live "Wish" and "Gave Up" from AATCHB are my go to, if I want to listen to those songs.

KISS- But how "live" are the "live" albums?

Dean Martin- Live versions are a lot more fun.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    In a lot of cases I prefer live music over studio recorded. Of course there are some huge exceptions to that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Skinny Puppy, post reunion was practically a different band live.

Iron Maiden though for sure I prefer live.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Skinny Puppy, post reunion was practically a different band live.
    I've seen Skinny Puppy three times, but all shows from after the reunion... and yeah, it never really felt like it was the thing I'd seen from videos, which seemed much more intense and confrontational.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    In a lot of cases I prefer live music over studio recorded. Of course there are some huge exceptions to that.
    Me too, Killers live, Radiohead, NIN (for sure).

On the opposite spectrum Deftones. I think they're awful live (just my opinion). Everytime that I've seen them something has been off with their sound or something.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Pearl jam.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Godspeed you! Black Emperor. I feel the albums don’t do them justice on how good they are live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The Allman Brothers Band
    Jenny Lewis.
    Post 2005 NIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails and The Cure are my recent ones where I loved the live songs better than the studio songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    High Functioning Flesh

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The War on Drugs by a mile.

Also The National. Their shit is so boring in the studio but the one time I saw them live they practically played like a hardcore band. It was fucking wild.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The War on Drugs by a mile.

Also The National. Their shit is so boring in the studio but the one time I saw them live they practically played like a hardcore band. It was fucking wild.
    Never saw what was so great about The National. Always thought they were boring.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Primus (up until 2010). They didn't release anything new between 2003-2011, but they released the 2003/2004 tours on PrimusLive (now defunct), and every single show was put up.

They did a set of random tunes then played Seas of Cheese start to finish during 2003, and Frizzle Fry start to finish in 2004. Everything is jammed out and there's so much variation in the first sets each gig, it provided an absolute wealth of live jams while they weren't releasing anything new for all those years, and I am lucky to have a number of those shows on my ipod.

I wish they'd had kept that site going for all these years as I'd have bought the hell out of a bunch of shows each tour.

Another one would be Incubus at the moment - possibly my favourite band of all time, but their recent studio output has been pretty hit and miss, but live they really still bring it.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Never saw what was so great about The National. Always thought they were boring.
    They've got that Hateful Fred taint (Grateful Dead). For me, the Fred are the worst band ever. I had a coworker who tortured me with that shit every single fucking day for a year & a half. Will never ever listen to them willingly again. They tend to bring on a psychotic reaction now. Anyway, back on point. The National put out a 3 cd set of Fred covers that had some bands I like. Don't matter, won't listen to it. Finally, aren't the National involved with Taylor "Barbie" Swift somehow?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Don't forget The National also for some reason decided to perform the same 3.5 minute song on repeat for 6 hours and then released a 300 dollar box set of the entire thing on vinyl.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Don't forget The National also for some reason decided to perform the same 3.5 minute song on repeat for 6 hours and then released a 300 dollar box set of the entire thing on vinyl.
    Money well spent.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They've got that Hateful Fred taint (Grateful Dead). For me, the Fred are the worst band ever. I had a coworker who tortured me with that shit every single fucking day for a year & a half. Will never ever listen to them willingly again. They tend to bring on a psychotic reaction now.
    I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, I don't follow.
    The National are huge Dead fans.
    PS: Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices came up with the nickname Hateful Fred for the Grateful Dead.
    Last edited by chuckrh; 12-30-2023 at 03:49 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    The Smashing Pumpkins: Thread number 2

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The National are huge Dead fans.
    PS: Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices came up with the nickname Hateful Fred for the Grateful Dead.
    I don't "get" the Dead. Fine musicianship, but they just put me to sleep.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    -Old 97s for SURE. I'll never understand why, but it's always been like this, for 30 years. Rhett Miller is, like, POLITE on the record, and then SCREAMS this part or that at the show. And Ken's guitar is chill on the records, but he's No Depression Kurdt Cobain onstage. I have many friends who LOVE this band, but only dig shows and live versions.

Compare about 1:15-1:30 in this live bootleg thing to 1:15-1:30, here, from their major label debut.

-Holy fuck, LED ZEPPELIN. I didn't fucking know they like, never played Dazed and Confused the same, twice. I FINALLY got hold of their '03 live double disc, and, JESUS. They were a full on jam band in the old days, and that was part of their live shows until the end. I've recently been listening to a lot of bootlegs, and, damn. It baffles me that 4 cats can be that connected.
    Edit: I actually can't say PREFER in this case, but, like, it's an entire different side of the band.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-30-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    -Old 97s for SURE. My brother is a huge fan, but ONLY listens to live bootlegs and goes to the shows.

-Holy fuck, LED ZEPPELIN. I didn't fucking know they like, never played Dazed and Confused the same, twice. I FINALLY got hold of their '03 live double disc, and, JESUS. They were a full on jam band in the old days. I've recently been listening to a lot of bootlegs, and, damn.
    Edit: I actually can't say PREFER in this case, but, like, it's an entire different side of the band.
    The 2003 live album is my all-time favorite live album.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    As much as I love U2, they have always sounded 10x better live as well. Their studio stuff, to me at least, most of the time feels like unfinished demo versions and the versions they play live are always so much more engaging and fleshed out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The Smashing Pumpkins: Thread number 2
    I tend to listen to Live SP more than studio. 90s SP anyway haha

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I recently shot HFF at Substance. they were badass. Haven't been able to get through an album yet tho.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    The 2003 live album is my all-time favorite live album.
    Dude. I finally got the double DVD? and FUCK ME. It's like, OMG, NOW i see why they didn't like TSRTS. It's unreal.
    I mean, they were SEROUSLY a JAM BAND in the early 70s, and it's just...good GOD.
    I've also been getting DEEP into led zep lore, bootlegs, and unreleased tracks, etc.

I found this youtube channel that is basically a fucking 90 hour Led Zep doc :P

You should check out 97's Alive and Wired. The singer is named Rhett, so there's that!

Don't you have some connection to DFW? Sorry if i'm wrong: I've been through a lot, lately, and my mind is like mush.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Dude. I finally got the double DVD? and FUCK ME. It's like, OMG, NOW i see why they didn't like TSRTS. It's unreal.
    I mean, they were SEROUSLY a JAM BAND in the early 70s, and it's just...good GOD.
    I've also been getting DEEP into led zep lore, bootlegs, and unreleased tracks, etc.

I found this youtube channel that is basically a fucking 90 hour Led Zep doc :P

You should check out 97's Alive and Wired. The singer is named Rhett, so there's that!

Don't you have some connection to DFW? Sorry if i'm wrong: I've been through a lot, lately, and my mind is like mush.
    No connections.

Yeah, the 2003 double DVD is great. Kind of hard to come by now. Kind of surprised it wasn't re-released for blu-Ray.

ETA--The Yardbirds Live 68 is great and worth checking out if you are a JP fan.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-15-2024 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting post! Lemme think...

The Who
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana
    Killing Joke (on certain songs like "Wardance")