Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
I can't get beyond how awful Skills in Pills seems to me every time I give it a spin: does it grow on you?

Also, why did Rammstein not give the record any space to breathe and perform out there on its own before jumping back in with their own stuff?
I'm confused and irritated with Rammstein right now. This is TR gatecrashing HDTA with HM all over again.
It's limelight-hogging: side projects should get treated with a little more respect if they are wanted to be taken seriously.
I don't know if I'd say it grows on you; I loved it at first listen and @Ryan seemed to as well (probably the most vocal fan of it on here), in general I haven't seen too many people saying their minds changed aside from "Well, I expected one thing, got another, now that I know what I should have expected, I can appreciate it for that." Don't beat yourself for not digging it and definitely don't force yourself to sit through it if you really hate it. Nothing wrong with not being into a side project at all.

I think it's safe to say that the In Amerika release would have been planned out for a bit now, considering how long that footage has been around. They've said they're going in studio this next year, and that could take a few years before we hear anything new, plus touring, so I don't think they're really hogging any space, just co-existing. Richard's had his Emigrate stuff and that seems to have been treated just about the same. Also it's worth nothing that from how Till and Peter have made it sound, Lindemann was more or less a "behind the label's back" type of deal, and have both said they already have a few songs sitting around and would love to do a second record, but that it'll be significantly harder to do now that their labels are aware of what they're doing. They also mentioned how touring really hadn't been a thing they'd thought about until people started asking for it, so really, I don't think it's a lack of respect at all, just that their expectations for the project were probably smaller than it turned out and that it happens to have been right around the same time as Rammstein doing stuff.

There was an interview with Till where he sounded really creatively reinvigorated from doing Lindemann, and I think it's just a good chance that doing this sort of woke him back up a bit and made him want to do more work in general. I'd say it's best to not see it as a bunch of separate entities that are clashing and see them as related and brother/sister projects that are coexisting. Hype from one builds hype for the other; time spent on one saves up energy for the other; press for one builds press for the other.