Page 42 of 123 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 3665

Thread: Rammstein

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I was excited a bit, but looking at some online prices for this album here i don't want it anymore. It's 3X (three times) the usual prices of most new releases. No thanks.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I mean song titles alone here even were quite an indicator. What'd you expect Ladyboy to be about?
    Jesus Christ that made me laugh.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Skills In Pills, Home Sweet Home, Yukon all seem far more serious. Rammstein's the band that has songs about the Berlin wall and fucking a dog and incest and rape and all sorts of subjects, a ton of which are "tasteless." Maybe you just haven't noticed because it's in German, but it's what you've been listening to, especially if you listen to the first few albums. Herzeleid and Sehnsucht are full of "filthy" lyrics. Even Mutter has Rein, Raus and Zwitter. It's always been a very broad scope of subject matter and seriousness and this is just taking that, applying it to English and going from there.

Besides I don't exactly like the idea that lyrics are the end all be all of music. You've not said anything about the musical content itself at all, and most of it is very similar to what I'd identify as Rammstein. I don't know what it is that you were expecting at all, it seems really odd to me considering you seem to be really into R+. If lyrics matter so much I'd assume you'd have looked into R+'s and you'd not be surprised by this at all.

I mean song titles alone here even were quite an indicator. What'd you expect Ladyboy to be about?
    You might be right about the reason I've never really noticed the lyrics being "naughty" or "filthy" in Rammstein because they are sung in german. I used to be the biggest R+ fan on the planet in 1998-2001, my internet alias was even chosen based on them, as you can probably tell. I must have wore a Rammstein shirt everyday in high school. Slowly, as time crept on, NIN took the spotlight for my favourite band, where I found out/knew about NIN probably before I found out about Rammstein, but there was just something that drawed me to the mystery that was Rammstein, was it the lyrics not being sung in English? I couldn't give a shit what they were singing about, it was awesome.

I used to frequent the herzeleid.net fourms on a religious basis back around 1999-2001, that was until I went full NIN around 2002/2003 and switched to lurking over here for a couple years before registering, and I used to read the lyrical translations all the time, at least the ones that were up on Herzeleid.net, I don't know how accurate they were... but they never seemed... " filthy" or "tasteless" in my mind. Never. I mean reading something, and hearing something completely different still isn't the same, but I go back and read those lyrics... and there is nothing half as bad as "fucking on french fries" and weird shit like that... Then again, after Mutter my R+ obsession died down, so I don't think I bothered to seek out any of the translations to any of the songs passed Mutter. But as far as Sehnsucht and Herzeleid went, the lyrical content seemed pretty tame to me.

It's hard to focus on the music when you can't stand the words being sung. Like I said, I only heard 2 full songs and the words were god awful in both songs. I can't focus on the music, because the words are too in your face. They should have released a complimentary 2nd disc with instrumentals only. I'm sure this record is badass as fuck musically.

I went and listened to the clips on the website for the rest of the songs, but none of them are jumping out at me. Maybe I just don't like Till singing in English, because something feels off about the songs. Even the songs mentioned that have a more serious tone, I can't get into them for some reason. I really wanted to like this project. Rammstein are still one of my all time favourite bands, and Pain is a spectacular band as well. I thought this was going to be the collaboration to end all musical collaborations, but maybe I just set my expectations way too high during the promotional period of this project.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    What about Pussy and its music video? The the dildo and lube box set? C'mon...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    What about Pussy and its music video? The the dildo and lube box set? C'mon...
    That stuff sucks as well. Complete and utter trash.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Speaking of Rammstein in the Rammstein thread:

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news...lbum-this-year

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Just two more years.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Speaking of Rammstein in the Rammstein thread:

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news...lbum-this-year

I'd love them to do some live gigs. When Dave Gahan from Depeche has done solo shows he'll also incorporate DM songs into the set. Till could do the same with some Rammstein songs to round things out.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    That's My Heart -

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Things are dripping in places....

This album is fantastic musically. I love it to death. Buying deluxe Tuesday for sure.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-18-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Loving it already. It's good cheesy fun, and the music is surprisingly great.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yukon is absolutely wonderful, wow. Till's vocals throughout the chorus is just so much of what I love about his vocal style. Musically it's just so grandiose and genuinely lovely. This is such a totally diverse album and it's all the better for it in my mind. Maybe if the second record is more focused, that's fine, but I really dig the fact that this is musically very consistent but tonally and lyrically very playful and all over the place. Home Sweet Home's music reminds me so much of Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill soundtrack for some reason. I'm really digging this, totally going to be picking it up.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Fat is my favorite song. I LOVE the music. Other favorites are:

Fish On
    Children of the Sun
    Praise Abort
    That's My Heart

I find Cowboy the weakest song, but it's still good.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Fat is my favorite song. I LOVE the music. Other favorites are:

Fish On
    Children of the Sun
    Praise Abort
    That's My Heart

I find Cowboy the weakest song, but it's still good.
    Cowboy is definitely at the bottom for me but yeah, it's a fun listen.

If I had to pick 5, just going off of one listen I'd probably go:

Yukon
    Home Sweet Home
    Skills In Pills
    Children of the Sun
    Golden Shower

I have to say I never thought I'd ever get to list golden shower as a favorite of anything in my life so that alone is a bit of an achievement here. There's no song I don't dig honestly. It's all got an excellent musical refinement, Till's voice is as good as ever. That interview where he talked about having a wide color palette to paint with lyrically definitely was not a lie at all. There's just this gleeful, sick enjoyment that doesn't question itself a single bit and I love it. I actually already see my favorites list evolving a lot with more listens and that's a really good thing.

@ManBurning I'm definitely interested in what you think of Home Sweet Home, That's My Heart, Children of the Sun, Fish On, Skills In Pills, Yukon, Fish On. Really 7 out of 11 songs are, in my opinion at least, far more serious or nuanced than the more "childish" vibe of the rest.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Top 5 for me -

Yukon
    Golden Shower
    Fish On
    That's My Heart
    Praise Abort

Children of the Sun is my least favourite.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    That refrain of "and it never gooooooes" in Home Sweet Home makes my testicles warm and giddy.

Children Of The Sun has excellent lyrics though I think it would benefit from a remix. The music doesn't match.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    My top 5, in order:

That's My Heart
    Home Sweet Home
    Yukon
    Praise Abort
    Skills In Pills

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Also, the part in Yukon, you know, "tried to kill meeeeeee...." and such, that reminds me of another song I've heard years ago but can't put my finger on it. Not a ripoff but a similar sound, the ways its sung.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, just listened to the album for the first time in full. Started up my second listen while I type this...

So... What is my verdict on this? Well, It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I guess you could say I set my expectations so incredibly low that it paid off.
    I gave a score out of 10 for each song.

Skills in Pills - 10/10 - This is my favourite track of the album.
    Ladyboy - 8/10 - Considering the title of this song, I thought this song was going to be another stupid cheese fest like "Fat" and "Praise Abort" but I must say, this is a good track. It's very catchy and I love the music, especially the keyboard boards halfway into the song.
    Fat - 2/10 - I love the music in this track probably the most on the record, but the lyrics just ruin the whole song for me. This would be a great instrumental track. Can't get behind those awful lyrics though.
    Fish on - 9/10
    Children Of The Sun - 6/10 - This could have been a really great song, if it were sung in German in my opinion. The song has very repetitive lyrics that don't sound too appealing in English. There is just something about this song that seems kind of off. The lyrics and music seem to not go together for some reason. It's almost like this song was originally written in German but then translated into English. It has the same odd vibe that the English versions of "Du Hast" And "Engel" have.
    Home Sweet Home - 5/10
    Cowboy - 10/10 - Once again, another surprisingly great track considering the title name. I thought this was going to be another silly song, but it's my second favourite track on the album.
    Golden Shower - 2/10 - Meh
    Yukon - 8/10 - A lot of people were saying this was the best track on the record, so my ears were prepared to be assaulted with awesomeness, and while still one of the stronger tracks on the record, was a little disappointed by the high hype of the song.
    Praise Abort - 1/10
    That's My Heart - 7/10 - When this song began, I wasn't digging it at first, but as it went on, it grew quite epic and it's a great way to close the album.

Overall, If you were to add all my scores up, you'd get 6.8/10. So... I'd round it up to a 7/10. Not a terrible record. My expectations were quite low though, so I'm happy to report I enjoyed the album overall as a whole. I still think Praise Abort was a bad choice for a first single, I guess I understand why it was chosen... Because they wanted to stirr up some controversy. That's pretty much what the track is for, I'm surprised the label let them have that as the first single, lol. The rest of the album really isn't that bad. Based on hearing "Fat" "Praise Abort" and "Golden Shower" as the first 3 songs/clips I heard, I was worried that was going to be the tone of the rest of the album, but... it does have about 70% "serious" songs VS 30% "silly/comedic" songs.
    @kleiner352 - Funny how you put Cowboy at the bottom of your list, but it's one of the tracks I like best on the album.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Just went into jb hifi here and they have the deluxe and standard versions -

the other one is just smaller and That's My Heart isn't listed on the back.

Who would pay a few bucks less and miss a track? Never understood that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I pre ordered the super deluxe edition, cannot wait to get it!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Children Of The Sun has excellent lyrics though I think it would benefit from a remix. The music doesn't match.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Children Of The Sun - 6/10 - This could have been a really great song, if it were sung in German in my opinion. The song has very repetitive lyrics that don't sound too appealing in English. There is just something about this song that seems kind of off. The lyrics and music seem to not go together for some reason. It's almost like this song was originally written in German but then translated into English. It has the same odd vibe that the English versions of "Du Hast" And "Engel" have.

Wow, you pretty much said the same thing as me about it!

Home Sweet Home - 5/10

This 5/10 I don't understand.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    I pre ordered the super deluxe edition, cannot wait to get it!
    Look how cheap that version is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skills-In-Pi...item2801d97397

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Look how cheap that version is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skills-In-Pi...item2801d97397
    Yeh that is why I pre ordered it from Amazon US

before shipping, only 29 bucks

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

This 5/10 I don't understand.
    I donno, just an average song I suppose. I don't really have anything bad to say about it, but I don't find anything particularly standing out in the track either. It's listenable, but it's just average.

I think I get whatever is going on about "Yukon" now though, after a few listens that is probably the fastest growing song on the record for me. I mean, I liked it to begin with, just didn't know what all the praise was about, now I do. Might be the second best track on the record right after the title track. I still really, really enjoy "Cowboy" though, it's just a simple song, but it's such a fun song. I think Cowboy would benefit from being the next single/video. It's very catchy and just an overall fun and safe song. Would probably have a funny accompanying video to go along with it.

I hope they do a lot of videos for these songs. Kinda like how Rammstein usually do about videos for half their album, I hope Lindemann follows that tradition, a lot of these songs would go really well with a video to accompany them.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    On that note, what is Yukon actually about?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    On that note, what is Yukon actually about?
    Well, we have a Territory in Canada called the Yukon, and it is between Alaska, USA and British Columbia and it features the Yukon River, which is the 3rd longest river in North America. The word Yukon also means "Great River". So... I'm guessing it's about a River?

http://www.yukoninfo.com/yukon-river/

I know it almost seems like there should be some hidden meaning behind it, but if you listen to the lyrics, and picture him drowning in a river and the river trying to swallow and eat him, it makes sense. Could be a metaphor for a bad relationship as well, like his partner being compared to a violent, rushing river trying to kill him.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-20-2015 at 02:40 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Well, we have a Territory in Canada called the Yukon, and it is between Alaska, USA and British Columbia and it features the Yukon River, which is the 3rd longest river in North America. The word Yukon also means "Great River". So... I'm guessing it's about a River?

http://www.yukoninfo.com/yukon-river/

I know it almost seems like there should be some hidden meaning behind it, but if you listen to the lyrics, and picture him drowning in a river and the river trying to swallow and eat him, it makes sense. Could be a metaphor for a bad relationship as well, like his partner being compared to a violent, rushing river trying to kill him.

That's the second time I think that he's written about a river. Donaukinder now Yukon.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    That's the second time I think that he's written about a river. Donaukinder now Yukon.
    There was a lengthy German interview he did once where he talked a while about loving nature and always having close ties to it, being into hunting, talking about loving getting to go to more scenic places on tour, etc. There's a lot of nature imagery throughout Rammstein's lyrics so it's no surprise to me. A lot of water imagery is a constant throughout his writing in general.
    @ManBurning it's funny you mention that about cowboy because although it's probably my least favorite I still do really enjoy it; I find it really cool that so far all the top __ lists for this I've seen all seem varied and different listener to listener.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    There was a lengthy German interview he did once where he talked a while about loving nature and always having close ties to it, being into hunting, talking about loving getting to go to more scenic places on tour, etc. There's a lot of nature imagery throughout Rammstein's lyrics so it's no surprise to me. A lot of water imagery is a constant throughout his writing in general.
    @ManBurning it's funny you mention that about cowboy because although it's probably my least favorite I still do really enjoy it; I find it really cool that so far all the top __ lists for this I've seen all seem varied and different listener to listener.
    True. Waidmanns Heil, Alter Mann, Feuer Und Wasser, etc.