Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TV on the Radio

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

TV on the Radio

Did you see them opening for NIN/Bauhaus in 2006 or, like me, discover this band later and wondered how you could have ever lived without it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny - I was just playing Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes today all the way through for the first time in years

I've seen them probably 10 times, and Young Liars will always be one of my all time favorite tracks

These songs are worth hearing too:

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i caught them on one of their first tours, when they were opening with the faint. i've always found them to be a bit overrated, but i still have big love for 'staring at the sun' from the first LP.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tried hard to like this band after the nod from Massive Attack: but they're just too generic indie for me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Been a huge fan of these guys for a while now. I think Nine Types of Light was somewhat underwhelming, but I got to see them live for the first time right after it came out and it was phenomenal. They pack an intense amount of energy when performing live that blew me away. Really sucks about Gerard, though. He definitely was partly responsible for shaping the band into what they are today.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    they're just too generic indie for me.
    What does that mean? I find their sound became pretty unique once they hit their stride (basically after Gerry joined the band, as richardp alluded to). They have a lot of upbeat-sounding tracks mixed with melancholy lyrics, and many interesting textural variations on their records — great horn charts and other non-guitar sounds, which are rare in indie rock. They deliver the goods at live shows, and they have enough great material in their catalogue to establish credibility as a real band with its own identity, not some frivolous project. Also, how can you argue with that 60-minute film version of Nine Types of Light that I posted? It's a masterpiece.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Loved em for years. 2007 I think?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Anyone going to the South American shows?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've seen them live more than any other band. Always a good time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

NIN fans: What do you think of TV on the Radio?

Okay so some people may not see it, but some of their earlier work seems slightly influenced by Nine inch Nails. While their vocals are very soulful and sound nothing like NIN at all, the production and use of synthetic drums, samples and overall industrial sounds on the album "Return to Cookie Mountain" and "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" for some reason always reminded me of NIN. Theres actually footage of Trent Reznor performing one of their songs with them live before a show a while back along with Peter Murphy, the song is called "Dreams" and although it's not my favorite TVOTR song it's still very good, check it out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sweet video. I love TV On The Radio. Very different music than NIN, but there definitely can be connections made between the way the bands use electronics. Thanks for saying that this topic is for NIN fans by the way, that way the mass of NIN-haters that always hang out here will be sure to stay out.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Not trying to be a dick, but this isn't really thread worthy.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    ^^^ Agree.
    Maybe you should post things like this in the Random NIN Thoughts thread...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I love em. I started to listen TV On The Radio pretty much the same time as NIN back in 2007 and though I never thought about it like that, there are probably some similarities between the two. I was a bit disappointed with their newest record, but Dear Science is mind blowing. Although my all time favourite is Wolf Like Me from their previous album. Thanks for the reminder of this great band

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^^^ Triple agree...and I usually roll my eyes at the thread police. I know there's sections on this board for other bands that NIN lovers like...I've never looked at 'em, but I know they're there. You should too.

I'll back you for new and interesting NIN/TR threads, but this isn't.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this is the third or fourth thread that kolopsia has started like this. cut it out, dude. please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed, this doesn't belong here.

In other news, I LOVE TVOTR.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Dear Science" is awesome, the rest of it... plain "ok" (i think they can do SO much more)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "Dear Science" is awesome, the rest of it... plain "ok" (i think they can do SO much more)
    i LOVE their first album, i think return to cookie mountain is good but it's too crowded, and dear science is just ok. i still haven't heard their most recent album, but the couple songs i've heard have been great.

interesting, we're usually of extremely similar opinion

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I don't care, the TV On The Radio thread got bumped. Been dead for too long!

I listened to Dear Science not too long ago actually. My favorite album of their's. The remix EP of it is top notch too, actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thread police giving me sh-- for not bring hip to house threads should be posted, sorry but I know if I post it in the "random nin thoughts" it'll get zero attention, I figured I'd actually give it a chance to spark conversation. SORRY..

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I think this is already an ongoing thread...

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i LOVE their first album, i think return to cookie mountain is good but it's too crowded, and dear science is just ok. i still haven't heard their most recent album, but the couple songs i've heard have been great.

interesting, we're usually of extremely similar opinion
    You're right bro, i guess there's a first time for everything! lol
    Is not that i dislike the earlier stuff, but in my opinion: both "Desperate Youth..." and "Return to cookie..." are plain "Ok" albums with outstanding tracks ("Dreams" or "Wolf Like Me"), i find "Dear Science" to be the best "all rounded record" from them...

Still i was a bit underwhelmed by "Nine types of Light", i was expecting so much more... i don't know why, but when i listen to them i always have high expectations, maybe it's because they remind me of Wire a lot (one of my favorite bands)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I don't care, the TV On The Radio thread got bumped. Been dead for too long!

I listened to Dear Science not too long ago actually. My favorite album of their's. The remix EP of it is top notch too, actually.
    Have to try the Remix EP, i haven't checked that one out..

As a "side note", i became infatuated with TV on the radio because i attended this show, it was sponsored by a beer brand that gave away the tickets for buyers of their product (lucky it was during my "drinking days") and from that moment i was hooked, i think it's a great show and it has very good quality ...it was filmed right in my hometown, check it out!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is hot. Props that it's my favorite song from Dear Science too.

Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    1. wire is one of my favorite bands, too! i saw them a couple years ago here in chicago and they SLAYED.

2. i saw tv on the radio open for the faint in 2003 or 2004 and it was one of the most spiritual experiences i've ever had at a concert. fucking incredible.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    1. wire is one of my favorite bands, too! i saw them a couple years ago here in chicago and they SLAYED.

2. i saw tv on the radio open for the faint in 2003 or 2004 and it was one of the most spiritual experiences i've ever had at a concert. fucking incredible.
    1. Now i get why you are one of my favorite posters, awesome!

2. They are great live! they surely know how to work a crowd, the show i posted was great, they even played "The Ghostbusters Theme", really tight stuff....

Do you guys now anything about Gerard Smith's replacement? I heard they are coming back in 2013...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I know when they were touring in 2011, Jaleel moved to bass and they had other drummers like Jahphet Landis and David Bergander from the band Celebration sit in on drums. Maybe they're sticking with that lineup.
    Last edited by botley; 07-25-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Shit I loved Nine Types of Light and saw them a few times on that tour. Yet somehow I had no clue they had ever covered Ghostbusters. Mind Blown. Would love to see that b-side.

Thread bump was worth it just for this.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    It was the best moment of my night, lol!

Loved when Tunde asked the audience how do you say "Ghostbusters" in spanish and everyone shouts: "Cazafantasmas!" but we sang the song in english anyway...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Last edited by baudolino; 07-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Love it. Put out an EP, album, whatever. I need more!