Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I heard clips from all of the song on the new album--it sounds good. The songs are pretty mellow and relaxed--similar to Scarlet's Walk and the BeeKeeper. Sounds like something that I will enjoy listening to this summer on a warm day on the bike-path.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I heard the clips too and a lot of the lyrics seem rather silly to me. It's a shame because Tori was known for her excellent songwriting.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    16 Shades of Blue is up on NPR. Not sure how I feel about this.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    You can stream the whole Unrepentant Geraldines album over at Amazon.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    You can stream the whole Unrepentant Geraldines album over at Amazon.
    Thanks for the link.

I'm on my first listen now and really like it. The clips posted really don't do the album justice.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm really surprised by the album. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I do. There are a few songs that are ridiculous but overall, it's a solid 3.5 stars for me. I think I'm actually gonna pick this up.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm really surprised by the album. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I do. There are a few songs that are ridiculous but overall, it's a solid 3.5 stars for me. I think I'm actually gonna pick this up.
    When I first heard the clips I thought that it was good but not great--kind of middle-of-the-road Tori. But like I said, those clips really don't do the songs justice. The album is just gorgeous--haunting, joyful and memorable. I can't wait until I catch the tour in Boston.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    All Music Guide--4/5

http://www.allmusic.com/album/unrepe...s-mw0002622301

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine [-]

Unrepentant Geraldines -- its title so knowingly Tori it verges on parody -- finds Tori Amos delivering original songs, which isn't a common occurrence for her in the new millennium. Following on the heels of the interpretive 2012 setGold Dust, it's the first collection of original material since 2011's Night of the Hunters, but it seems as if its roots stretch back even farther, as it is a bright, open collection, sometimes suggesting her early-'90s heyday but never pandering toward the past. There's a nice tension on this record, as Amos gives her hardcore fans what they want -- left turns tempered with introspection -- while also wooing the skeptics with melody and color, giving the record a bright, open feel that stands in contrast to the handsome solipsism that characterized many of her new millennial records. Strictly speaking, there's not much here that signifies as "pop" -- there are hooks, both melodic and rhythmic, but they seem almost incidental to feel, as the record flits between meditation and extroversion, its warmest moments also being its most intimate. Amos operates like a veteran liberated by her dedicated audience; she never once assumes she'll lose her audience, so she taunts them, sometimes seducing but often teasing, operating just outside of the parameters of what is expected or acceptable for Tori. That's the real pleasure of Unrepentant Geraldines: it's lush and melodic but also barbed, sometimes seeming dissonant but often consoling, its soothing qualities eventually turning disturbing. This has long been Amos' calling card, this shimmering space between comfort and pain, but Unrepentant Geraldines trumps its predecessors by accentuating its polarity; it either seduces with its sweetness or it provokes with its pain, and either extreme is compelling.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    The b-sides to Unrepentant Geraldines are fantastic. Forest of Glass is my favorite and absolutely stunning. Dixie makes me want to cry in a good way.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The b-sides to Unrepentant Geraldines are fantastic. Forest of Glass is my favorite and absolutely stunning. Dixie makes me want to cry in a good way.
    Going to have to look that up.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-20-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    The video for Trouble's Lament is up. I'm not sure if I dig it, but I love the part when Tori lifts her finger during the ping part at 2:06.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Any Chicago ETSers looking for a ticket to the show tomorrow?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Promise video. Both Tori and Tash looks stiff as a board.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like that song.

Tori show next week!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tori covering Something I Can Never Have:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^This was my request. I still can't believe that it actually happened. Holy shit.

Full song starts at 3:48:

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Wow. Super cool. I think that Tori did an excellent job here. It makes me kinda bummed out that I missed seeing her in L.A.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm so hung up on the horrible album title that i just ... can't. i mean, could there ever be anything MORE tori amos than the word "geraldines"?

i'm sorry, i understand that probably sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

and i really like her. i stopped having hope when that "... beekeeper" record came out. i don't know, hard to explain ...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    great story and great version of the song. looks like she covered creep at her second nyc date.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I saw Tori last night in Boston and she was, of course, amazing. There was no band or any other accompanying musicians. She surprisingly didn't play a lot of new songs and stuck to the classics. She also seemed less talk talkative than usual, but seemed in good spirits. This was my seventh Tori show and she's always wonderful.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm listening to the b-side CD from the boxset right, some great stuff.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'm listening to the b-side CD from the boxset right, some great stuff.
    I think some of her better songs are the b-sides. Flying Dutchman, Honey, Here In My Head, Forest of Glass just to name a few.

Edit: I just her cover Radiohead's Creep. Holy shit. That was phenomenal.
    Last edited by Charmingly Miserable; 08-17-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Boys For Pele has been a ​real grower kind of an album for me. It took me about three or four listens to really enjoy, but once it clicked, wow, what an amazing album.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    First two albums to be reissued, remastered with bonus tracks, 4/14:
    http://www.spin.com/articles/tori-am...nder-the-pink/

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    They are being (re)released on vinyl too! I did a quick scan of my Piano box set and it looks like these reissues will have some songs/versions that were left out of the box, so that's exciting. Was worried it was going to be mostly the same content.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    They are being (re)released on vinyl too! I did a quick scan of my Piano box set and it looks like these reissues will have some songs/versions that were left out of the box, so that's exciting. Was worried it was going to be mostly the same content.
    Like what? I think all the b-sides have already been released in some way, shape or form. The only thing that I can see differently is the addition of live tracks and the remasters. I think I want to skip out on the remasters but get the vinyls although I already have a German LE vinyl and the pink UDP.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Oh I think they've all be released in some form or another, like on singles. But I did notice a few that are being included that aren't on the box set.