Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tori Amos

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The new reissues came in the mail today. Awesome liner notes and tons of bonus songs. I haven't heard most of these b-sides so it's great to hear more songs from Tori's early albums.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I got both on vinyl format and both sound very good

Also does anyone know if boys for Pele is getting reissued?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I got both on vinyl format and both sound very good

Also does anyone know if boys for Pele is getting reissued?
    Some posters on a Tori facebook group are saying that BFP and FTCGH are up next, but I haven't seen any links to confirm it.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I haven't had a chance to listen to my copies yet but I've heard some people complaining about the audio screwing up in the middle of Wrong Band and continuing into the next two songs. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    I haven't had a chance to listen to my copies yet but I've heard some people complaining about the audio screwing up in the middle of Wrong Band and continuing into the next two songs. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    Haven't listened to UTP yet, no comment.

The bonus material on LE is just plain amazing. There's ten singles there, so it's like listening to a new (old) Tori album for the first time. The original "Mary" is far better than the remake, IMHO.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The soundtrack The Light Princess is out Friday. Never heard the music or seen the play, but I look forward to hearing this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my dad made me cry today while i was trying to walk him through re-programming a remote issue at a customer's house over the phone because he's a fucking asshole, and i was just generally feeling completely defeated, so i listened to "From The Choirgirl Hotel" in the car and sang along at the top of my lungs with all the made-up words that have been in my head for 16 years because tori is really hard to understand sometimes but she hits me right in the heart/gut and it made me feel relieved even though i was crying.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Choirgirl was my first, will always have a special place in my heart. Spark is such a great, powerful opener.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    the video for 'spark' is amazing. very fitting to the lyrics. the only time i saw her was for the 'choirgirl hotel' tour (when guitars try to be pianos) and it's in my top ten concerts.
    'boys for pele' was my first album i heard of hers (waaaaaaay back in 7th grade) and the song that makes me feel the gooiest is 'a sorta fairytale.'
    fucking tori amos, man.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I'm high as fuck and Spark hit my brain like magic. I love all of you even the ones that hate me. I believe in peace, bitches.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Oh look at that I posted high last time too.
    Scarlets Walk is finally tolerable. I wonder if being high is the trick to saving the rest of the "new" Tori catalog since then.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    a friend of mine in college said tori fandom is a litmus test for crazy girls.

meh. i used to like her a lot. scarlet's walk was the last record i liked. i picked up the beekeeper once at hastings and had a nasty reaction to the cover. i don't really know why, i was just weirded the hell out by it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    a friend of mine in college said tori fandom is a litmus test for crazy girls.

meh. i used to like her a lot. scarlet's walk was the last record i liked. i picked up the beekeeper once at hastings and had a nasty reaction to the cover. i don't really know why, i was just weirded the hell out by it.
    Yeah it's not a great album cover. Especially considering there was much better images from the same promotional materials:

Unfortunately, Beekeeper was the album where she started to lose me. There were about 5 or 6 songs I really dug, but the rest just didn't click...at all. And ever since it's been diminishing returns. Except the classical album. That album was quirky, dramatic and an appropriate turn for her.

She's still phenomenal in concert though.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have a cherrypicked playlist of tracks i enjoy from the beekeper through gold dust. there are a handful of gems on each. unrepentant geraldines was surprisingly great, though! great enough to see her twice that tour, loving both shows.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i have a cherrypicked playlist of tracks i enjoy from the beekeper through gold dust. there are a handful of gems on each. unrepentant geraldines was surprisingly great, though! great enough to see her twice that tour, loving both shows.
    Can you post your playlist here? I think some Tori fans who got lost along the way would appreciate some recommendations on some tracks from this period.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Happy 20th anniversary, Boys for Pele. I didn't "get" the album at first, but now it's my favorite Tori album.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Boys For Pele, deluxe remaster, 11/18.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rities-w441332

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tori is awesome. Love her music and hope she tours again, soon.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-23-2016 at 05:24 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Boys For Pele, deluxe remaster, 11/18.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rities-w441332
    fucking FINALLY i am so excited!!!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Same here. Under The Pink will probably always be my favorite, but Choirgirl Hotel, Scarlet's Walk and Boys For Pele all come incredibly close as well. BFP is probably her most unconventional work; you literally have to listen to the whole thing for it to make sense..
    More than once, too.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Boys for Pele is the reason I like Tori Amos, but I've never seen an artist destroy a perfect album like she did with that one. I couldn't find my CD copy of it, so I bought the digital version, and Talula and Professional Widow were replaced with shit remixes... I'm actually excited to see a deluxe version of this, because you can't do a celebrational reissue with shitty remix replacements of songs.

By far my favorite album she's made... but if there's a shit house remix of Professional Widow that doesn't end with "love, give me peace, give me peace and a hard cock" I don't wanna hear it. Boys for Pele worked because of this neurotic juxtaposing between earnest confession shock moments and these small interludes that felt like amused inside jokes... in between moments where you get sucker punched by something devastating and then amusing. It was a brilliant album.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    pele > choirgirl > earthquakes > pink > geraldines > venus > everything else.

i did kinda like the tornado mix of 'talula' for what it's worth... but fuck that gottabebig mix of professional widow.

in other news, some friends threw a boys for pele anniversary party with people performing covers of the songs. i did 'in the springtime of his voodoo'-- if i can get the video on youtube somewhere, i'll link later on.

otherwise, psyched about this reissue. my original vinyl copy was destroyed forever ago and i refuse to pay triple digits for it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New album Native Insider out this September. European dates first. More info on tour/album next Monday, according to her Facebook page.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    "The songs on Native Invader are being pushed by the Muses to find different ways of facing unforeseen challenges and in some cases dangerous conflicts. The record looks to Nature and how, through resilience, she heals herself. The songs also wrestle with the question: what is our part in the destruction of our land, as well as ourselves, and in our relationships with each other? In life there can be the shock of unexpected fires, floods, earthquakes, or any cataclysmic ravager - both on the inside and outside of our minds. Sonically and visually, I wanted to look at how Nature creates with her opposing forces, becoming the ultimate regenerator through her cycles of death and re-birth. Time and time again she is able to renew, can we find this renewal for ourselves?"

-
    It kind of sounds like something out of Björk's book, but she sounds energized and ready to go so I'm alright with that.

European Tour
    Sept 6 - Cork, Ireland - Cork Opera House
    Sept 7 - Dublin, Ireland - Bord Gais Energy Theatre
    Sept 9 - Ghent, Belgium - Capitole Gent
    Sept 10 - Luxembourg, Luxembourg - Den Atelier
    Sept 11 - Paris, France - Le Grand Rex
    Sept 13 - Amsterdam, Holland - Carre
    Sept 14 - Utrecht, Holland - Tivoli
    Sept 16 - Frankfurt, Germany - Jahrhunderthalle
    Sept 17 - Milan, Italy - Teatro degli Arcimboldi
    Sept 18 - Geneva, Switzerland - Theatre du Leman
    Sept 20 - Linz, Austria - Brucknerhaus
    Sept 21 - Zurich, Switzerland - Volkshaus
    Sept 23 - Copenhagen, Denmark - DR Koncerhuset
    Sept 24 - Oslo, Norway - Oslo Konserthus AS
    Sept 26 - Hamburg, Germany - Laeiszhalle
    Sept 27 - Essen, Germany - Colosseum
    Sept 29 - Berlin, Germany - Tempodrom
    Sept 30 - Munich, Germany - Philharmonie
    Oct 1 - Vienna, Austria - Konzerthaus
    Oct 4 - London, UK - Royal Albert Hall
    Oct 5 - Manchester, UK - Palace Theatre
    Oct 6 - Glasgow, UK - O2 Academy

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hopefully some U.S. dates later in the Fall.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yup, Rolling Stone says Nov-Dec US tour, but I'm hearing shows are being booked around late October/Halloween as well. I'm hoping to hit as many as 6-8 shows, so it would be nice to get some solid plans set.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm trying to work out if I want to go to her London or Paris show. I am firmly in the camp of not liking most of her recent albums but I've never seen her live.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I'm trying to work out if I want to go to her London or Paris show. I am firmly in the camp of not liking most of her recent albums but I've never seen her live.
    First time I saw Tori was in 2005, when she was touring behind the Beekeeper album. I didn't like the album and still don't. The two shows I saw on the tour, however, were awesome.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Native Invader: September 8th, 2017

Announcement on Facebook Live Monday July 10th at noon EDT.

The following dates have leaked in advance:

Oct 24 - St. Paul, MN - O'Shaughnessy
    Oct 30 - Toronto, ON - Massey Hall
    Oct 31 - Ann Arbor, MI - Michigan Theatre
    Nov 4 - Upper Darby, PA - Tower Theatre
    Nov 19 - Denver, CO - Paramount Theatre
    Nov 25 - Eugene, OR - Silva Concert Hall at Hult Center
    Nov 26 - Oakland, CA - Paramount Theatre
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 07-10-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oct 24 - St. Paul, MN - O'Shaughnessy Auditorium
    Oct 26 - Madison, WI - Orpheum Theatre
    Oct 27 - Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
    Oct 29 - Cleveland, OH - State Theater at Playhouse Square
    Oct 30 - Toronto, ON - Massey Hall
    Oct 31 - Ann Arbor, MI - Michigan Theater
    Nov 2 - Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
    Nov 3 - Washington, DC - MGM National Harbor
    Nov 4 - Upper Darby, PA - Tower Theatre
    Nov 7 - New York, NY - Beacon Theatre