Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Film Composers

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I've really been into Cliff Martinez's work, especially his score work for the movies "Drive" and "Only God Forgives."
    He does very synthy stuff... and he is scoring Cinemax's new series The Knick starring Clive Owen and directed by Steven Soderbergh
    "Traffic" was another good one for Cliff, he sure knows how to create suspense on his music.
    Not sure if John Murphy has been mentioned but i really like his work specially in "28 Days Later", "Kick-Ass" and "Snatch".

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm going to see James Horner conduct a full orchestra to play the music from the movie Titanic whilst the movie plays at The Royal Albert Hall next month. I Can't wait

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I just got an E-mail from The Royal Albert Hall saying that due to a to a shoulder injury James Horner won't be conducting the orchestra next week He'll be replaced by Ludwig Wicki, but Horner will be doing a Q&A before the movie with Jon Landau

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Any good crunchy electronic movie scores out there lately?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Not sure what you mean by crunchy exactly. If you enjoy John Carpenter, Vangelis, Cliff Martinez, etc., I would check out the soundtrack/score for 'The Guest'. Steve Moore did an excellent job with his contributions.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not sure what you mean by crunchy exactly. If you enjoy John Carpenter, Vangelis, Cliff Martinez, etc., I would check out the soundtrack/score for 'The Guest'. Steve Moore did an excellent job with his contributions.
    Kinda like this.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That Guthrie Govan playing banjo at 17:20

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So this thread doesn't seem to get much love...

I've developed a bit of a thing for purchasing film scores on vinyl, there are some excellent releases about at the moment.

Recent acquisitions:

Jurassic Park [Mondo Dino DNA Variant] - John Williams [I tend to think John Williams' work is very samey, quite grandiose, very difficult to sing Indiana Jones, then Star Wars then, say Jurassic Park straight after each other cos they're stylistically so similar!]
    Ex_Machina [Invada AI Variant] - Geoff Barrow & Ben Salisbury
    Music for 2001: A Space Odyssey - Alex North
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Beetlejuice & Batman - Danny Elfman

going back a bit further, one of my favourites of the year is Interstellar by Hans Zimmer. That score is absolutely incredible, probably his favourite of mine.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This is an old post, but I would highly recommend the score for Ex Machina to get your fix.

Also, there's an excellent looking documentary coming out about film composers, featuring interviews with quite a few people (including our guys Trent and Atticus).

http://score-movie.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Thanks for turning me on to Steve Moore. I never really dug zombi but I love what he's doing solo with some of these soundtracks, mostly because it seems it can be enjoyed as an album on its own regardless of the film. Those are always my favorite film scores. Pre-ordered the Cub soundtrack cd just for the hell of it. Also inadvertently discovered the band Pinkish Black on the Relapse site in the process. Double win! ��

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Highly Psychological;29035]Very atmospheric, melancholic, deep and beautiful. Best Science Fiction score ever.
    Had a huge influence on electronic music through out the 1980's. Infact Massive Attack performed the entire score live a few years ago.
    I did not know this!! Was here ever a recording of it?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Oscar noms came out today. Thomas Newman for Bridge of Spies, Carter Burwell for Carol, Jóhann Jóhannsson for Sicario, John Williams for Star Wars, and Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight. That's a rather loaded list. The Sicario score is very good, but I hope Morricone wins.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Morricone all the fucking way.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Forgive the quality, but too awesome not to share

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Cliff Martinez' soundtrack for The Neon Demon is a masterpiece.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For people into synth soundtracks, you should check out the music of Gavino Morretti.
    His two soundtracks for two long lost early 80's sci-fi films have been released by Disko Nero and are wonderful - https://diskonero.bandcamp.com/music

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Another good one is the soundtrack to Sodium Party by Steve Nolan, nice synthy goodness - http://stevenolan.uk/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Orbital's score for Pusher

The Chemical Brothers score for Hanna (Chems did another score for the upcoming movie Trespass Against Us)

Andrew Kawczynski and Hans Zimmer and Steve Mazzaro's score for Chappie

Power Glove's score for Far Cry 3

Basement Jaxx's score for Attack The Block

Nigel Godrich's score for Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Amon Tobin's score for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Nothing beats The Dust Brothers' Fight Club score

And anything by Cliff Martinez
    Last edited by neorev; 07-03-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my wife and i saw John Carpenter on saturday night at Thalia Hall here in chicago

first show at thalia hall, by which i was impressed. it's a good size, nice to look at, and the sound was fantastic.
    the merch was great. i ended up getting an escape from new york t-shirt and a poster. glad i didn't bring any more money because i would have bought everything, including the $15 (very reasonably priced) They Live sunglasses.
    they started on time at 9pm sharp, no one was an asshole or talked loudly during the show, and the band was tight. he talked a bit in between some of the songs, and was charming and funny. he also dances around in front of the keyboard like an embarrassing dad, which is even better because his son is the other keyboard player. they showed clips from the films when they played the score stuff, and they had some cool lights and/or projections during the lost themes material. everything was really great to hear live, because it all had such great energy injected into it. especially the lost themes stuff, which they amped up quite a bit.

all in all, one of the best concerts i've been to, and i'm so glad my wife is as into carpenter as i am, so that we could experience it together.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Nothing beats The Dust Brothers' Fight Club score
    One of my favorite soundtracks... fuck it, albums ever.

Listening to Thomas Newman's Bridge of Spies. I'm a huge fan of his bittersweet, melodic works (like American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, Saving Mr. Banks), but, man, he's just as good at powerful, suspenseful, almost "epic" stuff.

This guy has been nominated thirteen times for an Oscar and never won. Jesus.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The new Godzilla OST is out today - so is the movie, only in Japan, of course -, and I'm really enjoying it. It's a mixture of the usual, sometimes 60-something year old Ifukube pieces and new music by Evangelion composer Shiro Sagisu, including those epic tracks we're now familiar with from the trailers.

This one has been stuck in my head for almost four months now, and I never realized the choir was singing in English:

There's also some smooth slice of life jazzy tunes -

Good stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Really been into soundtracks lately:

Oblivion (M83)
    Blade Runner (Vangelis) / Blade Runner 2049 (Hans Zimmer)
    Game of Thrones (Ramin Djawadi)
    Before the Flood (Trent and co.)
    The Revenant (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
    Hans Zimmer Stuff (Batman Begins, Inception, Insterstellar)
    Tron Legacy (only a few tracks) (Daft Punk)

I'm a sucker for ambient / dark / orchestral stuff / buildups and crescendos. Seems like instrumental stuff is working itself into my normal rotations more. I like that it can be good for almost anything: cleaning, working out, driving, laying down, and my favorite, hiking somewhere.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    Really been into soundtracks lately:

Oblivion (M83)
    Blade Runner (Vangelis) / Blade Runner 2049 (Hans Zimmer)
    Game of Thrones (Ramin Djawadi)
    Before the Flood (Trent and co.)
    The Revenant (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
    Hans Zimmer Stuff (Batman Begins, Inception, Insterstellar)
    Tron Legacy (only a few tracks) (Daft Punk)

I'm a sucker for ambient / dark / orchestral stuff / buildups and crescendos. Seems like instrumental stuff is working itself into my normal rotations more. I like that it can be good for almost anything: cleaning, working out, driving, laying down, and my favorite, hiking somewhere.
    you would probably really like ben frost. my favorite album of his is "by the throat" but pretty much all of his stuff is good.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I really love Cliff Martinez' score for The Knick, especially season one. Dark, cold, subtle, melancholic, pulsating. The contrast between those sounds and the setting at the beginning of the 20th century was a brilliant idea, I think.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I generally dislike film and TV scores, I find them too intrusive and emotionally manipulating; but this totally caught my ear, and I've been listening to and thinking about it a lot lately, it's super-minimalist and subtle: