Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flaming Lips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Flaming Lips

So lots of new music from these guys this year. I think 6 or 7 eps or calabs and now I hear of a new 6 hour song.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...thers-20110914

What do you guys think of their new recording process?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I could take or leave it, other than the EP with Neon Indian, it's kind of sucked. The idea is cool, but it's just sort of a pain in the ass. And now they want to work with Ke$ha? They need to find a way to top Embryonic, that album was their best since Soft Bulletin.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I could take or leave it, other than the EP with Neon Indian, it's kind of sucked. The idea is cool, but it's just sort of a pain in the ass. And now they want to work with Ke$ha? They need to find a way to top Embryonic, that album was their best since Soft Bulletin.
    Agreed 100%. I love the Lips a ton, and I understand what they're trying to do with all of these releases, but it's a pain in the ass and completely unfair for people who want them, that have no access to them. Although, I DID get the exclusive colored version of the Heady Nuggs box set this year. But truly, I just want them to give up these EPs and just make another full length.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Agreed 100%. I love the Lips a ton, and I understand what they're trying to do with all of these releases, but it's a pain in the ass and completely unfair for people who want them, that have no access to them. Although, I DID get the exclusive colored version of the Heady Nuggs box set this year. But truly, I just want them to give up these EPs and just make another full length.
    Very jealous you got Heady Nuggs. I managed to get Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi on Vinyl when I couldn't find the whole box set. They tour relentlessly and are always working on things, but a new album would be even better. Seriously, who is going to sit thorugh 30 hours of the same two songs? They are probably one of the most consistent and interesting bands of the past two decades, they need to skip the fetuses and give us some actual music.

I think Dennis Coyne's band Stardeath and White Dwarves is releasing a new album too. I was impressed with them when I saw them open up for his uncle last year.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Embryonic and Soft Bulletin are awesome.

Also liked the weird collab they did with Lightning Bolt last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://fuckyeahflaminglips.tumblr.com/2011

You can get all of the 2011 releases there.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...Bw7fZ1SU9i46Uw
    The Flaming Lips are working with Ke$ha.... Wrap your head around that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did any one check out their latest album The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends?
    I wasn't really a fan of it but I guess they've taken the best parts from the recording and jamming they've done over the last year and are making a new album called The Terror.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...album-20120816

AND Wayne has been working with his nephews band Stardeath and White Dwarfs on another album remake this time, In The Court of The Crimson King.
    Sounds bad ass

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I agree that "Embryonic" is one of the best FL releases and im also tired of all the weird experiments, i know they will never be a "simple" group but i think they need to focus more in writing actual songs than just playing with weird noises, still i admire them a lot!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Fuck man, between this and the RSD exclusive reissue of Zaireeka, just take all my damn money, why don't you.

Pretty excited to hear this album. Didn't know they could get any darker than what they were on Embryonic.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I can't wait for the new record, I actually liked "Sun Blows Up Today" for what it was. It's like a hyper active Flaming Lips song with this simple yet extremely dark lyrics, of course that's not at all what we should expect the record to sound like.

I too didn't think anything was going to get as dark as what was on Embryonic, I loved that album so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's leaked, but in shocking quality (and I say that as someone who can't usually tell between v1 and flac), so people might just want to wait.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The leak quality isn't that bad, I'm already on my third listen of this record. The Terror, in my opinion, is even more experimental than Embryonic was..I can't believe how out there and almost "depressing" this record is. It really is some of the most bleak work they've put out there in official album form, I was worried that maybe all the little side stuff they were doing was going to get them away from being as focused for a record the next time but I was wrong. You can tell some of the work from the previous projects kind of bleeds into this record but it has this weird mixture of both seeming very dense sound wise and also completely scatter brained. It's really, really good.

It's crazy to think these guys are in their third decade together and making just as weird and good music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Disappointed by this record, I only enjoy "Look, The Sun is Rising." thefragile is right it is very very bleak, I think that's why I don't like it.
    Side note: "Butterfly, How Long It Takes To Die" was also on the StroboTrip EP, I think the EP version is better.
    EDIT: has any one managed to listin to their six hour song "I Found A Star On The Ground" all the way through? I've tried many times only to be interrupted. How ever, I think it is one of the best thing they did last year.
    Last edited by PooPooMeowChow; 02-24-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The more I listen to this thing, the more I fall in love with it.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tempted to skip work next month and see a free show with them, Divine Fits, and Jim James. Can't wait for this new album to come out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The rip that leaked sounded horrible and completely unlistenable on my cheap computer speakers, but was more tolerable w/ a good pair of headphones.

As for the album itself...it doesn't 'wow' me very much. The opener and final three songs were the only ones that interested me. Everything else was too desolate for me to get into (at least right away.) Wayne's ethereal, high-octave vocals had no energy whatsoever. I assume he was going for that feel, concept-wise, though it seemed too forced, and simply doesn't work very well over the coarse of a 55-minute album. Embryonic is only 15 minutes longer, yet feels far more expansive than The Terror. Hopefully a higher quality rip will help me like the album more than I currently do, but I'm not sure it will.

And "You Lust" has no business being 13 minutes long - it easily could have been cut in half (the final 3 minutes were especially aggravating.)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Three months into this year and the only other record I've loved as much was the new My Bloody Valentine album....The Terror is quite frankly amazing. I haven't felt this way about an album since the first time I heard Kid A honestly. This has such a desolate and cold vibe and it's brooding and dark. I love how they are constantly being progressive and chanllenging themselves artistically...while at the same time, still writing music that I can completelty submerge my brain into. An amazing piece of work.

Apparently, they debuted the whole record at SXSW a couple days ago and played it beginning to end live. They had a new stage production that might be used for an upcoming tour and might not be like the Flaming Lips of old anymore...

We're nervous, yeah, but it’s good to be nervous about trying new things. Some of [the new songs] are sort of slow, mid-tempo songs, which are great as recordings, but sometimes to play three or four of those in a row in front of an audience, it can be kind of a challenge. They’re songs, you know? We get known for space bubbles and confetti and shit like that. I don’t know if [we’re] retiring it, maybe just not do it for a while, or not do it so much and so much attention to it. I just kind of feel like if we keep doing that, it stops us from doing other stuff.

Plus, I'm excited to pick up the vinyl when it comes out because apparently side four of the deluxe vinyl comes with a Dan Deacon remix of the ENTIRE album. Perfection!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I was at the show on Friday night and was pleasantly surprised of how much the live show was changed. They have a brand new stage design, no space bubble, no confetti. The album sounded like a complete downer but I enjoyed it. There were points in the show where Sarah from Phantogram was on stage and Wayne pulled her hair as she was singing, there was also another point in which for three straight songs, Wayne held a baby in his arms. My cousin was disappointed since he thought it would be a "party" like a normal lips show, but clearly they're moving in a different direction. I like it a lot and can't wait to hear the new album through headphones.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The Flaming Lips performing "Look...The Sun Is Rising" on Letterman.

This along with the Deerhunter performance has made this an awesome week for late night talk show musical guests.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm definitely buying this new album. Had my interest from the beginning. It has quite the flow. The first five songs, especially, right through...fuck yeah. "Be Free..." and "Try To Explain" are so transcendent...my current favorites. Album is simple and well done. I appreciate The Terror!
    Last edited by Amaro; 04-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Bought the vinyl today, it sounds fantastic...though I'm a little frustrated that it's not the silver edition they were advertising. Apparently that may have been a pre order exclusive or something? Either way, it sounds awesome and doesn't change how much I love this record...even if the vinyl price is a little bit too steep for nothing really extra.

Really looking forward to the possibility of a 2013 tour!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Photographed a Flaming Lips show in 2010, and still find confetti in my camera bag sometimes.

Did sound for them at a festival last year, and had to literally feel around the stage for our cables at the end of the show.

Needless to say, the prospect of a confetti-free show is appealing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I failed to get a CD copy of Peace Sword at nearby record stores on Friday, no stock, so I ordered one through Amoeba Records online on the same day...got here today. Pretty fast!

Yes, I buy CDs. Last I checked, earlier today, they still had the option to order through them.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    http://pitchfork.com/news/55030-klip...riends-racism/

Word was going around the local KC grapevine throughout the past month (Where Kliph lives) but it's still disheartening to hear it officially. Shame on Wayne. The Lips' music has been so fucking awful the past couple of years and Wayne's public persona has been getting more and more out there and ego-fueled, so knowing this is nice for me to finally completely let go of this band.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    you know, the way I see it, there's no offical account on what happened and why. there's two sides of the same story, as always is.

And for the record: I think their last two albums were great. Still looking for a lossless copy of Peace Sword though...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well I can say that being from KC and seeing Kliph around town at least once a week, he's a genuine dude. He doesn't seem like egomaniac like Wayne has become. Kliph always seems like a really humble guy. He even comes to my website's local Oscar Party every year and hangs out with people. I agree, there's two sides, but I tend to genuinely take Kliph's side.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Kliph is such a solid dude. I'm glad he voiced himself about the issue. It baffles me that a public figure from Oklahoma would disrespect Natives like that.
    It probably is for the best that Kliph is no longer a member. Can't imagine what dealing with Wayne's shit would be like. Also, this means he's got more time to make less pretentious, more interesting music..

EDIT: That said, I can enjoy some of their stuff in small doses. Especially Yoshimi.
    Last edited by Soma; 05-02-2014 at 08:32 PM.