Page 25 of 129 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 75 125 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

I LOVE achievements but not enough to dictate how I play, what I play, who I play with or how long I play for. That's just absurd.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    But why do people love them? How does the arbitrary number on a console that's on its way out mean anything to anybody?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    But why do people love them? How does the arbitrary number on a console that's on its way out mean anything to anybody?
    To me it's fun, shows your skills (when some are skill involved) and your love for a certain game or series. Also cool to aim for something I wouldn't particularly aim to do or try for at other times.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    because if you give people arbitrary goals to say, 'make that number higher' people will do it without questioning why, until there is a considerable block in that path, or too big of an investment. There is a sense of satisfaction there, even if its not 'real'.
    That said the idea of getting achievements just by watching TV.. that is dumb.

I don't mind the odd trophy hunt, but most of the time its a big investment for me to even finish a single player game. I have two platinums: Okami and Wipeout HD. Both games I loved and wanted to beat/see everything. Was considering going after Ni No Kuni, but I really can't be bothered to grind so many familiars...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Achievements and "Gamerscore" is a meta-game of sorts. I personally do not typically play to just get them. But they do extend the playing of a game even after finishing, replays to get certain items and such. It's fun to replay to get those but even after I get all achievements, I still replay when I feel like it. It's not like "all achievements" is the end of the game for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Playing Burnout: Paradise.
    Way. Too. Fast.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    State of Decay

Only got to play for about half an hour before heading out for work but holyyyy shit. Basically Left 4 Dead meets The Walking Dead meets Day Z. Yes, perma death! Open world survival-horror RPG, fatiguing characters, need to repair items/weapons/vehicles, etc. etc. It's more about surviving, keeping people healthy, happy, safe, etc. instead of just constant combat. Has its faults sure, kinda janky combat, but I've been looking for a late night time sink where I can just level a character...and hope they don't get eaten. Highly recommended and only $20.

Last edited by october_midnight; 06-05-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I LOVE achievements but not enough to dictate how I play, what I play, who I play with or how long I play for. That's just absurd.
    Maybe it takes someone who actually feels that way about achievements to think it's not absurd, hm?

I found this about achievements myself, although perhaps to a lesser degree (I've never felt the need to grind games I wouldn't normally play just for 1000g completion, for example). The first thing I do in a new game, after the introductory sequences and the first halting minutes of gameplay, is check the achievements list. I want to see what sort of achievements there are. I want to see if I can get many by just playing through the game as I would naturally. I want to see if there are any involving collectibles that I need to keep an eye out for along the way. I want to see if there are any I'll be able to do in repeat playthroughs. Lastly, I want to see if there are any that revolve around multiplayer and, if there are as many as there are in RDR, I'll generally get annoyed but carry on playing anyway. Seriously, what was with that game? Nearly half the list was comprised of multiplayer achiemevents -_-

It was only once I picked up Sleeping Dogs for the PS3 under the Playstation Plus deal that I realised just how bad things had become. Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet had been really fun for me, just playing for the sake of it - and, in the case of Heavy Rain, making decisions based on what I would do and not what would get me the most achievements. Sleeping Dogs was a game I could've played on Xbox and, if I had, I would've paid more interest in the achievement side of things. As I have little to no interest in PS3 trophies (blame the fact that you have to load the list when you want to check it, maybe) I found myself just playing it and enjoying it as I'd done with games growing up. It was incredibly freeing to blitz through a game and take in the plot rather than constantly worrying whether I was missing out on an achievement by ignoring a side mission. I've got Sleeping Dogs on Xbox now but I hope I'll keep playing it the way I have been on the PS3 - for enjoyment's sake, not for gamerscore.

I get what the article is saying and hey, maybe a lot of people don't feel that way. But I do, and I'm sure there are others who have had their gameplay style modified at least somewhat by having their gamescore hanging over their heads. It doesn't make it absurd just because you personally haven't experienced that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: What are you playing?

I really don't care too much about them. They're a nice added bonus. Especially when I do something and get one with a funny name. The games themselves are rewarding enough for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bioshock Infinite, finally.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Replaying Max Payne 3 and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    Maybe it takes someone who actually feels that way about achievements to think it's not absurd, hm?

I found this about achievements myself, although perhaps to a lesser degree (I've never felt the need to grind games I wouldn't normally play just for 1000g completion, for example). The first thing I do in a new game, after the introductory sequences and the first halting minutes of gameplay, is check the achievements list. I want to see what sort of achievements there are. I want to see if I can get many by just playing through the game as I would naturally. I want to see if there are any involving collectibles that I need to keep an eye out for along the way. I want to see if there are any I'll be able to do in repeat playthroughs. Lastly, I want to see if there are any that revolve around multiplayer and, if there are as many as there are in RDR, I'll generally get annoyed but carry on playing anyway. Seriously, what was with that game? Nearly half the list was comprised of multiplayer achiemevents -_-

It was only once I picked up Sleeping Dogs for the PS3 under the Playstation Plus deal that I realised just how bad things had become. Heavy Rain and LittleBigPlanet had been really fun for me, just playing for the sake of it - and, in the case of Heavy Rain, making decisions based on what I would do and not what would get me the most achievements. Sleeping Dogs was a game I could've played on Xbox and, if I had, I would've paid more interest in the achievement side of things. As I have little to no interest in PS3 trophies (blame the fact that you have to load the list when you want to check it, maybe) I found myself just playing it and enjoying it as I'd done with games growing up. It was incredibly freeing to blitz through a game and take in the plot rather than constantly worrying whether I was missing out on an achievement by ignoring a side mission. I've got Sleeping Dogs on Xbox now but I hope I'll keep playing it the way I have been on the PS3 - for enjoyment's sake, not for gamerscore.

I get what the article is saying and hey, maybe a lot of people don't feel that way. But I do, and I'm sure there are others who have had their gameplay style modified at least somewhat by having their gamescore hanging over their heads. It doesn't make it absurd just because you personally haven't experienced that.
    Oh, I always look before the game comes out but if there's too many or some that are too hard for me to get it won't make me not get the game. I know tons of people on a website I'm a member on that were not going to buy Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance because of all the Revengeance difficulty and don't get hit by this boss on at least hard difficulty achievements.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Personally, I'm finding it difficult to come up with something more stupid that avoiding a video game because of achievements. I honestly am lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Personally, I'm finding it difficult to come up with something more stupid that avoiding a video game because of achievements. I honestly am lol.
    I knew for a damn fact I wasn't ever going to get those achievements but wanted to own and play the game so I did. Like I said, when your gamerscore/achievements/trophies mean that much to where you don't want to buy a game you are interested it becomes absurd as I initially said many, many posts above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I stopped playing Blackops 2 for probably 3 months. I'm back on, but I whole heartedly believe Infinity Ward is the better CoD developer. I never took a break from MW3 (until BO2 came out-- probably should go back, actually).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by refractured View Post
    I stopped playing Blackops 2 for probably 3 months. I'm back on, but I whole heartedly believe Infinity Ward is the better CoD developer. I never took a break from MW3 (until BO2 came out-- probably should go back, actually).
    Yeah I'm gonna do my best to avoid the Treyarch CoDs from now on, black ops 2 was a big disappointment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My friend got me a copy of Borderlands 2 as he wanted to have a game we could play together, regardless of the fact neither of us has played the first game. Like the game so far the first person shooter mix with some RPG elements makes it interesting and the world you play in seems huge especially with lots of side missions along the way. The Co-op plays pretty well and it's cool you could have up to 4 friends joining you in the journey.

My only problem right now is not really with the game but with my friend lol. It's kinda like dude we are playing together at least lets be a little more cohesive then just you pretty much dictating a majority of what we do. Also the fact we have different playing speeds and level of importance concerning stuff but so far not bad, will probably consider doing it solo after this co-op run. Fun game so far though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm on playthrough #3 of Fallout New Vegas right now. It's my evil, selfish Mr. House-supporter playthrough (although she does have a softspot for robotic dogs and eyebots). It's really fun to get back into it, especially now that I have all the DLC, but I keep catching myself planning my next playthrough. It's not necessarily a bad thing; I guess just with the amount of variables that go into it - which faction you support, which approaches you take to completing quests, which followers you bring along, which weapons you use - it always has me thinking 'Well, I'll do it this way this time but maybe I'll do it the way I'd do it next time.'

I haven't really been in the mood to play games lately so it's kind of nice to go back to this and get properly invested in it again. It's funny - it was the first 360 game I ever owned and I think I just love it more every time I clear it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm done with Fire Emblem: Awakening. I didn't beat it, I'm just done with the unfair advantages that the enemy has. The game is cheap as fuck. The story is great, but it doesn't make up for all the bullshit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just starting Remember Me.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Behind the times, but Fallout: New Vegas. Let's go.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    hah, i just finally got around to Fallout 3 a little while ago. It was pretty good but I was really disappointed with the amount of badass weapons and armor, compared to the huge variety of stuff that Bethesda puts in their Elder Scrolls games.

Gonna start Red Dead Redemption tomorrow, I was planning on starting tonight but I figured if I started at midnight when I got home from work I'd be playing until the sun comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    My friend got me a copy of Borderlands 2 as he wanted to have a game we could play together, regardless of the fact neither of us has played the first game. Like the game so far the first person shooter mix with some RPG elements makes it interesting and the world you play in seems huge especially with lots of side missions along the way. The Co-op plays pretty well and it's cool you could have up to 4 friends joining you in the journey.

My only problem right now is not really with the game but with my friend lol. It's kinda like dude we are playing together at least lets be a little more cohesive then just you pretty much dictating a majority of what we do. Also the fact we have different playing speeds and level of importance concerning stuff but so far not bad, will probably consider doing it solo after this co-op run. Fun game so far though.
    I've pretty much played that game to death, I love it. Make sure you buy the season pass to get all 4 DLC campaigns, Mr.Torgues Campaign Of Carnage is fucking hilarious!
    Last edited by ibanez33; 06-13-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    This time tomorrow, The Last of Us!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I got XCOM for free this week. I like it, but it's very unforgiving.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This week has been a Dark Souls week. I love the game, but I've only clocked around 35 hours since launch and this week I finally rang the second bell. It feels like longer, when I start playing, I spend the rest of my time just thinking about it.. It was the same with Demons Souls. As long as I get it done by the time Dark Souls 2 comes out...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I have been playing a morning with my fighting games (Street Fighter X Tekken, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3).

I love them to death and I am actually good but it just pains me I always wish and want to play online when I put them in. It's never a good idea. I may be good against the CPU and against friends but when it comes to online I LOSE almost every time. To every idiot on every level, most of the time the person is a blocking/button mashing/spammer. It fucking sucks big time as I hate losing anything. I love online competitive play but in fighting games it always drives me mad.

Regardless, I am picking up Super Street Fighter IV on the Xbox 360 today since I've never played it, anyone got it?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Earthbound. Hurrah for ROMs, since this never came out over here.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Earthbound. Hurrah for ROMs, since this never came out over here.
    That's one game that I catch so much shit for not playing. One of these days... I'm picking up The Last of Us as soon as I get off work. Won't be able to play until tonight though... meh...!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I too am unable to play The Last of Us until after work.... its awful

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I too am unable to play The Last of Us until after work.... its awful
    Waiting on friend (who may be flaking out). If he doesn't show up or text back in the next 5-10 minutes, I'm going home and play.