Page 59 of 129 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 3846

Thread: What are you playing?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I played it on normal and died. Alot.

The game still fascinates me although I've finished it in December. There's just something about it that still sends chills down my spine. It is very well executed and everything you love from the first Alien movie is definitely there. The use of music is just masterfully handled (though it of course might cause a few unnecessary jump scares later in the game while nothing happens) and the whole design is stellar. The look of this game cannot possibly be better. It's a true work of art IMHO when it comes to sci-fi games and beats Dead Space out of the water for me personally. While Dead Space looked more like Alien3 which I also love because this particular visual style.

My only gripes with Isolation being that it may be a bit too long, while the story itself is not all that suspensefull through out the game and that you barely get to see other survivors compared to the vast size of the Sevastapol station. A bit more live could have helped the atmosphere since the interactions between the NPCs and the Alien are rather clunky at times.

The re-play factor is relatively low aswell, but that's mostly because the whole journey is relatively straight forward. You probably won't find an easier way or a more probabale solution to problems you encountered in your first play through. And it's just too long in the end for me to play through it. You actually will have to find time, turn off the lights and engage that game once again rather than just aim for a quick session.

I guess most negative reviews stem from the already mentioned difficulty some players may have with the gameplay itself. It IS a survival horror game and not a shooter by any means and therefore your whole playing style is totaly different. There are a ALOT of passages where you just have to be patient and wait. It's like playing a FPS where you will die when a single bullet hits you and you actually HAVE to take cover and behave like it's real warfare around you. I dig games like Red Orchestra because of that very aspect!

Another reason might be that after so many let downs in the Alien games franchise and with Prometheus (which I fairly liked BTW but was a missed opportunity nevertheless) people's expectations were unrealistically high to begin with. There just is nothing left to explore. We all know what the scenery for these games look like, we all know what the Alien looks like and what its story is, we have seen the movies to death. But come to think of it: has the Alien itself ever been so perfectly visualized in a game? Has the atmosphere of the first movie ever been captured? No! And this is what Alien: Isolation does to near, and I explicitly say, near perfection! The game has it's flaws like any entertainement but it's pretty much my favorite game of all time because it's finally challenging, has great graphics, an unusual gameplay and yes, my favorite movie franchise aswell.

It just has this undeserving spot in history where the franchise has been beaten to death. It's a dead horse but Isolation revived that horse for me fairly well.

Spoiler: While it was a extremely short sequence, I had a HUUUUGE blast entering the Derelict Space Ship! A really fantastic nod to the franchise!
    Last edited by dlb; 01-22-2015 at 07:06 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Is the second half as bad as people are saying though?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Well, the gameplay definitely changes as soon as you get to the flamethrower and the attacks by the androids start to become more and more. That is where the gameplay becomes a bit stale, like I said it's just too long for the story to hold up.

It pucks up though towards the end IMHO and you are still eager to actually finish the game. The only bad thing is that the game never really becomes as compelling as it's first half. Which is so strong that you might really feel some sort of climax is lost.

Has anyone played it on nightmare mode yet? I've only gone through the first two DLCs and goddamn...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Middle Earth: the Shadow of Mordor. I got it as a Birthday present. I might have let out noises that no human being should make when I got it. Completely awesome. I love how you're just basically thrust into the story.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Middle Earth: the Shadow of Mordor. I got it as a Birthday present. I might have let out noises that no human being should make when I got it. Completely awesome. I love how you're just basically thrust into the story.
    GOTY 2014 for me along with The Evil Within.

Currently playing Child of Light. Did the ol' gamertag permission and downloading thing on Xbox Live with my friend who bought this when it came out last April. Freeeeeeeee for me.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Spec Ops: The Line. Well... I'd LIKE to be playing. Reinstalling it to see if it'll work this time. I click the shortcut and nothing happens at all. Boourns, Windows 8.1...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Just took a break from Dragon Age: Inquisition to play through the first episode of Tales of from the Borderlands. I'm going to sound a little positive now, its the Borderlands game I didn't know I wanted. I like Telltales games, but Walking Dead was just too bleak for me, Good, yes, but when every decision means someone will die, I found it wearing me down and never finished it. Tales From Borderlands takes that, makes it a little less intense, adds some humour that was actually quite funny, good writing, crossed with the Borderlands universe which has great artwork and character. Yeah. I really liked it, I was tempted by Game of Thrones (chose not to because see Walking Dead issues), but took a punt on Borderlands and was left smiling.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Just took a break from Dragon Age: Inquisition to play through the first episode of Tales of from the Borderlands. I'm going to sound a little positive now, its the Borderlands game I didn't know I wanted. I like Telltales games, but Walking Dead was just too bleak for me, Good, yes, but when every decision means someone will die, I found it wearing me down and never finished it. Tales From Borderlands takes that, makes it a little less intense, adds some humour that was actually quite funny, good writing, crossed with the Borderlands universe which has great artwork and character. Yeah. I really liked it, I was tempted by Game of Thrones (chose not to because see Walking Dead issues), but took a punt on Borderlands and was left smiling.
    I only played one episode but Game of Thrones is the best thing they've ever released. Recommended.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Went back to playing FFXIV. Now on cactaur

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anyone who has played KOTOR, where do you recommend going first after Dantooine?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tattooine. Korriban's the best planet in my opinion, but it's best saved for later. Aside from being another great part of the game, Tattooine also adds an important character you'll want to get well acquainted with.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Minus Destiny (meh), Resident Evil and Far Cry 4 I've picked up playing Sunset Overdrive again. Been mopping up collectables an achievements that I could've awhile ago. I need to buy the DLC soon too.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Battlefield 4 single player campaign. That is, until I fell off a ladder and through the ground into the Negative Zone. It's a persistent and annoying bug that I can't get past. Hell's horses...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Anyone who has played KOTOR, where do you recommend going first after Dantooine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Tattooine. ... Tattooine also adds an important character you'll want to get well acquainted with.
    Almost forgot, but you meet another NPC on Kashyyk, so that should be one of your first two stops as well.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dying Light! As soon as I'm off work, and after the tattoo appt., and dinner, and more work. Fuck.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I second Tattooine for sure. The only thing I'd say you should absolutely do though is save the Sith planet for last, it results in some of the better dialogue and interactions because later events in the game will impact what happens there to some extents, and it allows for some very memorable moments.

In general, don't worry too much about a "right" way of playing the game. I've gone through KOTOR a ton and tried a lot of different variations, and it's all generally been pretty great. Order of planets isn't the biggest deal, class isn't, party isn't, etc. You can get a really great time out of most combinations. I've even made a character that was purely blaster-damage based and it slaughtered with the right equipment and force powers.

The only thing i'd absolutely say about KOTOR being almost needed is that you should totally play KOTOR 2 afterwards with the Restored Content Mod if possible. It's my favorite Star Wars story, period. I prefer it to any film, game, book, etc. that I've ever seen from that universe compared to KOTOR 2, and that's after growing up knowing all the lines to Empire Strikes Back by heart as a kid.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I second all of the above.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Maybe I should swap over to Dying Light... I've been trying to justify my purchase of Lords of the Fallen, and I really can't. I hate this game. It misses the point of what makes Dark Souls work so wonderfully, all the while ripping off Dark Souls to such a degree that it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be sued if they didn't have the same publisher.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Maybe I should swap over to Dying Light... I've been trying to justify my purchase of Lords of the Fallen, and I really can't. I hate this game. It misses the point of what makes Dark Souls work so wonderfully, all the while ripping off Dark Souls to such a degree that it's hard to imagine they wouldn't be sued if they didn't have the same publisher.
    I've heard good things about it. It doesn't look like anything worthwhile to me honestly. I just think it's insulting as a "next gen" game and it's like 5.36 GB on the Xbox One Store.

I bought this for more fun:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Maybe I should swap over to Dying Light...
    Only about 45 minutes in but so far the graphics are unbelievable, the scares are frantic, and it's smooth as butter. The parkour elements are pretty well done, definitely worth trying. It's like Dead Island x10, with no bugs. And avoid Sunset Overdrive. Ten minutes of it made me wanna peel my face off.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Grim Fandango Remastered

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    Grim Fandango Remastered
    I want to... I want to so bad...

but i paid for the game and Sony is saying I didn't. It's starting to really make me mad.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    playing a game called apply for all the jobs... but when I'm not doing that I've just done a big story mission in Dragon Age, so am enjoying being back on the map and completing the side quests and missions.
    Driveclub's difficulty ramps up the minute you get to the slightly faster cars, its still fun, and I'm getting better, but oddly (and this is going to make some people cringe) there are no tutorials or driving school options, which is fine if you are good at racing games, but it throws a drift challenge at you without really saying how to drift, and I think I'm doing it wrong. My method is wrangling the car into the corner at full speed then pumping the handbrake. It makes me miss the hefty manuals that Gran Turismo used to come with.

Made some progress in Abe too, when that game comes out on other formats (if you don't have Ps4/PC) then I highly recommend it, its a perfect reimagining of the original, with plenty of improvements and a better realised world.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Just bought the first episode of Life is Strange! Stoked!

Nabbed EA Sports UFC this week too for $10.00 (off normal $40.00 pricetag) on the Xbox Store. Game is beautiful. Surprised by the bad reviews/thoughts.

Anyone here ever play Unmechanical? It was just released in Extended Edition form on Xbox One. Was looking for opinions because the game has peaked my interest.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Just bought the first episode of Life is Strange! Stoked!

Nabbed EA Sports UFC this week too for $10.00 (off normal $40.00 pricetag) on the Xbox Store. Game is beautiful. Surprised by the bad reviews/thoughts.

Anyone here ever play Unmechanical? It was just released in Extended Edition form on Xbox One. Was looking for opinions because the game has peaked my interest.
    I have a question about the ufc game. Do you have to pay for the DLC? I thought there would be a season pass. I guess theres not? I did some research and saw that some of them are free. If so that's badass. I know you have to pay Hoyce Gracie and Bruce Lee though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    I have a question about the ufc game. Do you have to pay for the DLC? I thought there would be a season pass. I guess theres not? I did some research and saw that some of them are free. If so that's badass. I know you have to pay Hoyce Gracie and Bruce Lee though.
    There's no DLC fighters apart from Bruce Lee and Royce Gracie. The roster in the game is pretty decent sized.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-30-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Well i haven't started it yet but i just bought Heavy Rain recently for $5 bones, i figured I'd finally check it out.... i had originally kinda distanced myself from it as it always seemed to not really have much of a "game" there but after playing Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 a while ago, enjoying that a lot and well i do like some point and click adventures (Syberia 1 & 2 being a couple favs of mine) and seeing some bits of HR in my peripherals that a friend was engaging with i guess i got more curious about it that and i suppose i just can't turn down the possibility for a good story, especially if it's drenched with a Film Noir-esque mood. (which i really dug the hell out of when it came to L.A. Noire which i thought was far more of a game in my experience than what i had initially assumed and had been hearing about in regards to Heavy Rain)

I suppose at any rate even if I'm spending more time in a relaxed mode on my couch rather than swelling with adrenaline weaving in and out of the traffic in GTA V at top speeds I'll be giving this a go, it'll just be something different is all and I'm not so much opposed to that, I'm trying to not be so cut and dry with what a "game" really is as well i mean obviously there's games that are nothing but text that loads of people love, which wouldn't be something for me but hey it is what it is and I'm just picky.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What are you playing?

I loved Heavy Rain. Really enjoyed going through and getting all the endings after my initial playthrough, there are a shitload. It's a great game. If it's that cheap now I may have to buy it to give it another go, had it from Gamefly before

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Harking back a post I made a page or two ago: Is Unmechanical worth buying? I'm looking for opinions.

I started D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (the free point and click episodic series game that was different in Jan as free Games with Gold) and I must say, I find it enjoyable so far. Bit weird and kooky. Definitely enjoying the vibes and Japanese style game culture here. I know it was made by a Japanese dev team but it has a Western game vibe to it as well. Hard to explain.

I need to start Life is Strange soon too. Agh!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    There's no DLC fighters apart from Bruce Lee and Royce Gracie. The roster in the game is pretty decent sized.
    Gracie and Bruce Lee are DLC. Alot of characters are added through patches (Lesnar, Rampage, Hughes, etc.) for free. The patches aren't just little tweaks either. Some have been real game changers.