Thread: Nintendo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is easily my favorite Zelda game since Majora's Mask, and I have completed every entry in the series (pretending CD-I doesn't exist). This takes everything that was wonderful about the top-down entries on NES, SNES and the Gameboys and refines it, puts a pretty coat on it, and adds the (albeit slightly) improved storytelling of the 3D entries. The dungeon designs are clever. They're a bit short, but each of the 7 real dungeons feels unique. The item rental/purchase system, which I was on the fence about, is actually pretty awesome. It really allows you to play the game at your own pace. For the first time in a long time, I had a blast exploring throughout the ENTIRE game, rather than feeling like I was being rushed through the story, and missing out on side-quests and heart pieces. I collected all of the heart pieces gradually, and by the time I was at the last dungeon, I was only missing 4 pieces of heart. Usually, Navi, Tatl, Fi, King of Lions, etc, are nagging me to complete the story and I get to the end missing half of the collectibles in the game and then it seems like a chore. Not so, here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renholder View Post
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is easily my favorite Zelda game since Majora's Mask, and I have completed every entry in the series (pretending CD-I doesn't exist). This takes everything that was wonderful about the top-down entries on NES, SNES and the Gameboys and refines it, puts a pretty coat on it, and adds the (albeit slightly) improved storytelling of the 3D entries. The dungeon designs are clever. They're a bit short, but each of the 7 real dungeons feels unique. The item rental/purchase system, which I was on the fence about, is actually pretty awesome. It really allows you to play the game at your own pace. For the first time in a long time, I had a blast exploring throughout the ENTIRE game, rather than feeling like I was being rushed through the story, and missing out on side-quests and heart pieces. I collected all of the heart pieces gradually, and by the time I was at the last dungeon, I was only missing 4 pieces of heart. Usually, Navi, Tatl, Fi, King of Lions, etc, are nagging me to complete the story and I get to the end missing half of the collectibles in the game and then it seems like a chore. Not so, here.
    I have mixed feelings with the recent Zelda game. On one hand, some of it is fun, but on the other hand it felt boring since it's basically the same old puzzlefests.

I've never been able to get into the whole puzzle obsession with Zelda. Some people argue that Zelda was always about puzzles but I disagree - the older games before Ocarina of Time were mazes. Sure they threw some shit out there in Link to the Past, but the games were still adventure and maze based. I had a very hard time getting through the original Zelda with no guides or anything cause the game was such a maze.
    I totally lost interest with Zelda as the years went by. Ocarina of Time was great but Majora's Mask disappointed me greatly, then the whole cartoony Wind Waker totally missed me, but I liked how Link Between Worlds looked.

But on the bright side, the wall gimmick and being able to do the dungeons in any order you want is a huge step up. I hate the dark palace one though with all those annoying puzzles with the lamps. That one stumped me a bit.